Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: deliberate1 on November 16, 2018, 08:04:59 pm
-
Friends, I recently replaced a 7 year old computer with a new box with Windows 10. I downloaded the drivers from Epson and they all unzipped perfectly. Made a nice print with my venerable 7800 and got a better match with the canned profile than I did with my old box.
But what did not appear was an Epson Control Panel that was on my old desk top from the original cd installation. It was very good to have this utility, especially to do abbreviated nozzle and maintenance checks. The old Control Panel was migrated to the new desktop but does not function.
So is there a way to get that function back onto the new desktop?
Finally, kudos to Epson for continuing to support this old machine, at least with drivers. I have thought about replacing it, but I, for once, cannot convince myself to sideline it given the trouble-free service and excellent prints it has given me for well over a decade.
Thanks.
-
Friends, I recently replaced a 7 year old computer with a new box with Windows 10. I downloaded the drivers from Epson and they all unzipped perfectly. Made a nice print with my venerable 7800 and got a better match with the canned profile than I did with my old box.
But what did not appear was an Epson Control Panel that was on my old desk top from the original cd installation. It was very good to have this utility, especially to do abbreviated nozzle and maintenance checks. The old Control Panel was migrated to the new desktop but does not function.
So is there a way to get that function back onto the new desktop?
Finally, kudos to Epson for continuing to support this old machine, at least with drivers. I have thought about replacing it, but I, for once, cannot convince myself to sideline it given the trouble-free service and excellent prints it has given me for well over a decade.
Thanks.
I'm a Mac man, but I believe what you are referring to is the "LFP Remote Panel 2 Utility", which you will find in the same location on the Epson site from which you downloaded the driver for your 7800. Simply open the "Utility" folder and it should probably be the top utility. Download and install that app and then you can drag it or an alias to your desktop. That should give you what you are missing.
Gary
-
Also a Mac user but I have seen where Epson put that (and some other utilities) in a separate download.
-
On my Windows 10 PC the Epson utilities are well-hidden, but they are accessible wherever "Printing preferences" appears.
I keep an icon for my P800 on my desktop for convenience. To put it there, the easiest way is to go to Start, Control Panel, Devices and Printers. Locate your Epson P800 on the list of printers, right-click, and click on "Create Shortcut," and answer "Yes" to place the shortcut on the desktop.
Then, whenever you want to use one of the utilities (such as nozzle check or head cleaning,) right-click the P800 desktop icon, choose "Printing preferences," and click on the "Utility" tab.
I hope this helps.
-
Also a Mac user but I have seen where Epson put that (and some other utilities) in a separate download.
Before I replied to the OP I actually checked the Epson site for Printer Drivers for both Mac and Windows. In the location for downloading the Drivers there is also a folder named "Utilities", in which one can easily download the utility the OP referred to, the "LFP Remote Panel 2 Utility". Indeed it is a separate folder, but it does reside within the root Driver folder and very easy to find. In all the years I have downloaded Drivers for various Pro Graphic Printers I have never had any issue with also downloading this utility. One might argue that it should perhaps be included in the Driver download, but I believe Epson separated that utility for a good reason, which is to keep things simple and the point is to.
Gary
-
Before I replied to the OP I actually checked the Epson site for Printer Drivers for both Mac and Windows. In the location for downloading the Drivers there is also a folder named "Utilities", in which one can easily download the utility the OP referred to, the "LFP Remote Panel 2 Utility".
Gary
Gents, thank you all for the assistance.
Gary, when I go to the Epson Download page, I see the drivers and then two other options, both of which identify EpsonNet config utility v.4.9.5.
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/Single-Function-Inkjet-Printers/Epson-Stylus-Series/Epson-Stylus-Pro-7800-Professional-Edition/s/SPT_C594001PRO
The description: EpsonNet Config is a configuration utility for administrators to configure the network interface.
Gary, is this the one you are referencing. It does not specifically indicate that it does what I am looking for (the LFP Remote Panel Utility), but perhaps it is embedded in it. I will give it a go.
Thanks, again, all.
David
-
Gents, thank you all for the assistance.
Gary, when I go to the Epson Download page, I see the drivers and then two other options, both of which identify EpsonNet config utility v.4.9.5.
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/Single-Function-Inkjet-Printers/Epson-Stylus-Series/Epson-Stylus-Pro-7800-Professional-Edition/s/SPT_C594001PRO
The description: EpsonNet Config is a configuration utility for administrators to configure the network interface.
Gary, is this the one you are referencing. It does not specifically indicate that it does what I am looking for (the LFP Remote Panel Utility), but perhaps it is embedded in it. I will give it a go.
Thanks, again, all.
David
WOOOOOPS :-[ My Bad!¡! It would seem that I hadn't taken into account the vintage of your printer. My first Pro Graphic printer was the SP7600, for which I had no problem downloading the Remote Panel Utility and the same for the SP9900. I now see that the ancient SP7600 Driver site no longer includes that utility and neither does the 7800 Driver site. However, the 7900/9900 Driver site still offers the utility. I would suggest that you download the SP7900/9900 Remote Panel Utility from here - https://epson.com/Support/Printers/Professional-Imaging-Printers/Epson-Stylus-Pro-Series/Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900/s/SPT_SP7900HDR?review-filter=Windows+10+64-bit and give it a try . I think there's at least a good possibility that it might still identify your SP7800, since that utility is usually capable of accessing older printers as well as current versions. No guarantee of course, but it can't hurt to try, since the 7800 is only one model older. However, with my track record in this thread, I guess you'll be playing the odds :-\ I hope you win the big one!
And an EDIT already. - Since the panel is for the 7900/9900 Printers, which you don't have, open the "Printer List" at the bottom left corner of the window, which hopefully will show your 7800.
Gary
-
Gary,
Thanks, mate, for all your efforts, and the work-around suggestion. I will give it a go and report back.
Cheers,
David
-
This is interesting. What does this control panel do? I've been using a 9800 for over 10 years on Windows and only ever installed the drivers and the Ethernet network tool. What extra functions does it provide?
-
Doug, OP here.
The Remote Utility Panel appeared with the original install of my 7800. There was an desktop shortcut that allowed remote access to the printer. I suppose the functions mirror those that we can access from the menu panel, but in a more sophisticated package. You could check ink levels, monitor printing progress, check cutter status, etc. One thing I used it for, in particular, was an abbreviated nozzle check. It would print just one line for each color, showing if there are any clogs. It took just a few seconds and burned virtually no ink. Today, I did the same function through the printer, and it went through this whole process which felt like a nozzle clean.
I am going to try installing the the version for the 7900, as Gary suggested, and will see what happens. Unfortunately, Doug, there is no Utility Panel download for your 9800 either.
Cheers.
David
-
Doug, OP here.
The Remote Utility Panel appeared with the original install of my 7800. There was an desktop shortcut that allowed remote access to the printer. I suppose the functions mirror those that we can access from the menu panel, but in a more sophisticated package. You could check ink levels, monitor printing progress, check cutter status, etc. One thing I used it for, in particular, was an abbreviated nozzle check. It would print just one line for each color, showing if there are any clogs. It took just a few seconds and burned virtually no ink. Today, I did the same function through the printer, and it went through this whole process which felt like a nozzle clean.
I am going to try installing the the version for the 7900, as Gary suggested, and will see what happens. Unfortunately, Doug, there is no Utility Panel download for your 9800 either.
Cheers.
David
I use the nozzle check in the Windows 10, Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck It only prints a thin line for each of the inks and nozzles. Very little wasted ink. I use a selectable color LED lamp to check them as some, especially the yellow, is really hard to see in white light.
-
Doug, OP here.
The Remote Utility Panel appeared with the original install of my 7800. There was an desktop shortcut that allowed remote access to the printer. I suppose the functions mirror those that we can access from the menu panel, but in a more sophisticated package. You could check ink levels, monitor printing progress, check cutter status, etc. One thing I used it for, in particular, was an abbreviated nozzle check. It would print just one line for each color, showing if there are any clogs. It took just a few seconds and burned virtually no ink. Today, I did the same function through the printer, and it went through this whole process which felt like a nozzle clean.
I am going to try installing the the version for the 7900, as Gary suggested, and will see what happens. Unfortunately, Doug, there is no Utility Panel download for your 9800 either.
Cheers.
David
Hi again David,
Just as an aside, and probably moot as well, even though I always have the LFP Remote Utility Panel nestled in the Dock on my Mac, I must admit that I haven't used it probably since the years of the Epson SP7600 printers I had. Nozzle checks, head cleanings and most other maintenance routines can be run directly from the printer control panel. If necessary I might run an alignment from the remote panel, but otherwise the Printer Control panel does it all. Now of course I'm referring to the last two printers I've had, the SP9900 and now the SC-P7000. My recollection of the 7600's is not as fresh, but I do recall always running the nozzle checks from the printer control panel on those as well. Not sure about your 7800, but I do know the nozzle checks and cleaning cycles can be run from the printer panel. And of course the printer panel also displays the ink levels. Most if not all apps that claim to exhibit ink percentages are not very accurate.
Also, I don't know what you mean by an abbreviated nozzle check. Your explanation of the single line nozzle check is all I've ever encountered with the Pro Graphic printers such as the 7600, 9900 and SC-P7000 for example. I know some consumer desktop printers often run full colour block nozzle checks, but I've never seen that option on the Pro Graphic Printers. Perhaps I simply haven't been looking in the right place, but even it were an option it's not one I would ever want to use, for obvious reasons.
Gary
-
Hi again David,
Just as an aside, and probably moot as well, even though I always have the LFP Remote Utility Panel nestled in the Dock on my Mac, I must admit that I haven't used it probably since the years of the Epson SP7600 printers I had. Nozzle checks, head cleanings and most other maintenance routines can be run directly from the printer control panel. If necessary I might run an alignment from the remote panel, but otherwise the Printer Control panel does it all. Now of course I'm referring to the last two printers I've had, the SP9900 and now the SC-P7000. My recollection of the 7600's is not as fresh, but I do recall always running the nozzle checks from the printer control panel on those as well. Not sure about your 7800, but I do know the nozzle checks and cleaning cycles can be run from the printer panel. And of course the printer panel also displays the ink levels. Most if not all apps that claim to exhibit ink percentages are not very accurate.
Also, I don't know what you mean by an abbreviated nozzle check. Your explanation of the single line nozzle check is all I've ever encountered with the Pro Graphic printers such as the 7600, 9900 and SC-P7000 for example. I know some consumer desktop printers often run full colour block nozzle checks, but I've never seen that option on the Pro Graphic Printers. Perhaps I simply haven't been looking in the right place, but even it were an option it's not one I would ever want to use, for obvious reasons.
Gary
Gary, the printer also has a nozzle check that is engaged by the printer's hardware panel. The nozzle check from the control panel prints a single dpi line for each nozzle, while the one built into the printer prints a wide group for each nozzle. It's easier to see without color lights which bring out each of the colors except the light grays. The printer's control also has an automatic cleaning mode which will print the wider nozzle checks, detect plugged nozzzles, clean, and repeat printing nozzle checks until things are clear. It can use a couple sheets of paper. My preferred approach when nozzles are clogged is to just print a set of 400 RGB patches on half the paper then flip it around an print the thin nozzle check on the other half. I also do this whenever the printer has been idle for more than a week or two and it's always produce a good check. At least in the last 5 years or so.
-
Gents, I installed the 7890 LFP remote panel utility onto my computer to see if it would adopt my 7800. No luck. There is a menu of supported devices, and the 7800 is not among them. And there appears to be no generic access. Basically, the utility says that it cannot find a supported printer. Gary, I appreciate the suggestion. Next stop is note to Epson for assistance. I will report back with any success.
Gary, I believe that Doug did a nice job explaining how the LFP nozzle check command works. Rather than large checker box patterns two pages long from the printer utility, you get a 8", or so, line of 1" +/- boxes comprised of pencil thin horizontal lines from each color. If there are any breaks in the lines, the nozzle is not functioning optimally. Occasionally, I will find a break or two that is cleared by a couple test prints.
Ever the wandering eye, I have read reviews of the latest and greatest printers from all the usual suspects. In the 13 years since buying the 7800 I have read no reviews or seen any results that have persuaded me to put down my money. Granted, I would love to be able to switch between PK an MK inks without the ransom payment flush. But that is about it. The printer has never had an unresolvable clog, despite the fact that I can go months without printing. I have 1100 count print history in 13 years. In fact, I have only run the full cleaning cycle once or twice. I do not know if that is recommended just as a regular maintenance thing. But as long as the nozzle check is good, and the prints impress, I see no reason for the ink dump.
I have a buddy who bought a 7880 and the thing ran for a matter of weeks and died. Not even the Epson tech they sent to his house could resurrect it.
I suppose in time it will die, or, more likely, the inks will no longer be available, which could mean going to a third party system.
To those of you who had the x800 printer, what did you move to and was it satisfying.
Cheers.
David
-
Gents, I installed the 7890 LFP remote panel utility onto my computer to see if it would adopt my 7800. No luck. There is a menu of supported devices, and the 7800 is not among them. And there appears to be no generic access. Basically, the utility says that it cannot find a supported printer. Gary, I appreciate the suggestion. Next stop is note to Epson for assistance. I will report back with any success.
Gary, I believe that Doug did a nice job explaining how the LFP nozzle check command works. Rather than large checker box patterns two pages long from the printer utility, you get a 8", or so, line of 1" +/- boxes comprised of pencil thin horizontal lines from each color. If there are any breaks in the lines, the nozzle is not functioning optimally. Occasionally, I will find a break or two that is cleared by a couple test prints.
Ever the wandering eye, I have read reviews of the latest and greatest printers from all the usual suspects. In the 13 years since buying the 7800 I have read no reviews or seen any results that have persuaded me to put down my money. Granted, I would love to be able to switch between PK an MK inks without the ransom payment flush. But that is about it. The printer has never had an unresolvable clog, despite the fact that I can go months without printing. I have 1100 count print history in 13 years. In fact, I have only run the full cleaning cycle once or twice. I do not know if that is recommended just as a regular maintenance thing. But as long as the nozzle check is good, and the prints impress, I see no reason for the ink dump.
I have a buddy who bought a 7880 and the thing ran for a matter of weeks and died. Not even the Epson tech they sent to his house could resurrect it.
I suppose in time it will die, or, more likely, the inks will no longer be available, which could mean going to a third party system.
To those of you who had the x800 printer, what did you move to and was it satisfying.
Cheers.
David
Perhaps the humongous nozzle check you described is a Windows thing, since I've never seen such a NC on the Mac. I have always printed the nozzle checks on standard 24lb letter size sheets. I print one on each end and on both side. I then trim off the one on one end and print another two, one on each side. A total of 6 Nozzle checks on one sheet of letter size paper. Have never had any issue with this method and have been printing the NC's this way since 2004 on my first 7600.
Gary
-
Perhaps the humongous nozzle check you described is a Windows thing, since I've never seen such a NC on the Mac. I have always printed the nozzle checks on standard 24lb letter size sheets. I print one on each end and on both side. I then trim off the one on one end and print another two, one on each side. A total of 6 Nozzle checks on one sheet of letter size paper. Have never had any issue with this method and have been printing the NC's this way since 2004 on my first 7600.
Gary
The "humongous" nozzle check is what the printer, itself, does from the printer panel. It's able to scan these in the printer and do a clean if needed on the channels that are clogged. The one in Windows prints the thin lines which I presume is the same as Mac OS. These are too thin for the printer to automate cleaning so requires human look see.
-
The "humongous" nozzle check is what the printer, itself, does from the printer panel. It's able to scan these in the printer and do a clean if needed on the channels that are clogged. The one in Windows prints the thin lines which I presume is the same as Mac OS. These are too thin for the printer to automate cleaning so requires human look see.
This.
-
The "humongous" nozzle check is what the printer, itself, does from the printer panel. It's able to scan these in the printer and do a clean if needed on the channels that are clogged. The one in Windows prints the thin lines which I presume is the same as Mac OS. These are too thin for the printer to automate cleaning so requires human look see.
Ah, interesting. In all the years I've been using Pro Graphic Printers 5 to 6 days a week, I don't recall ever seeing such a Nozzle Check Pattern. Now I know why. When I'm setting up a new printer the first thing I do is turn off ALL Automatic Settings in the Printer Control Panel. When I turn on the printer my first action is to run a nozzle check and then determine whether any further steps are required, such as head cleaning(s). Therefore, with the auto cleaning shut off I would never encounter the aforementioned HUMONGOUS Nozzle Check Pattern. However, with the SC-P series printers such as the P7000 that I now use, even with the Auto Clean Setting OFF it will still occasionally do an auto cleaning cycle on startup or after a "K" ink switch.
Even though I would never use the Auto Clean Setting, it's always good to learn something new. Well, not exactly new, just new to me.
Thanks Doug,
Gary
-
Straight from the horses's mouth:
"Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Pro 7800. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry. However, we have no LFP utility for the Stylus-Pro-7800."
Doug, thanks for posting your work around through Windows for the nozzle check. I will give that a go. But I will certainly miss the LFP.
Obliged for all the input on this.
Best,
David
-
Straight from the horses's mouth:
"Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Pro 7800. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry. However, we have no LFP utility for the Stylus-Pro-7800."
Doug, thanks for posting your work around through Windows for the nozzle check. I will give that a go. But I will certainly miss the LFP.
Obliged for all the input on this.
Best,
David
I'm at a loss with this thread David. Where was the "Windows work around" for the nozzle check that you mentioned? Not that I need it, just curious. And yet another question. Can you not run a simple Nozzle Check directly from the Printer Control Panel? Buy "simple", I'm referring to the pattern with just the lines instead of a two page pattern with apparently blocks of solid colour. Again, just curious. In my opinion the lines provide all the information one requires to determine any sort of issue which might call for a cleaning cycle. It has certainly always worked for me, and I would assume that it uses a lot less ink than the alternative. And another reason for not running Auto Clean Cycles. I very much doubt that the Auto Cleaning Cycles clean only the affected nozzles, more than likely all nozzles are dumping ink, mostly for no logical reason.
Gary
-
Gary, this is what I was referring to, from Doug's reply above:
I use the nozzle check in the Windows 10, Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck It only prints a thin line for each of the inks and nozzles. Very little wasted ink. I use a selectable color LED lamp to check them as some, especially the yellow, is really hard to see in white light.
I do not know if the abbreviated LFP nozzle check can be commanded on the printer control panel. It makes sense that it could, unless there are functions unique to the LFP. I plan to play with it this weekend.
Cheers.
D
-
Gary, this is what I was referring to, from Doug's reply above:
I use the nozzle check in the Windows 10, Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck It only prints a thin line for each of the inks and nozzles. Very little wasted ink. I use a selectable color LED lamp to check them as some, especially the yellow, is really hard to see in white light.
I do not know if the abbreviated LFP nozzle check can be commanded on the printer control panel. It makes sense that it could, unless there are functions unique to the LFP. I plan to play with it this weekend.
Cheers.
D
Hi David,
After reading the above information about your path to the printer Utility I had an idea. Now, before you read any further, I think I might know what you're thinking. My first "idea" crashed, so why bother ???. And of course you would probably have a good reason for thinking that, I do admit. However, if you wish to accept this mission, here we go. Of course what I'm about to suggest is the path I use to bring the LFP icon down to the Dock on my Mac, so I'm not at all certain that this path will have any relevance to the Windows OS. I have rather sparse knowledge of Windows, but here goes. Open "My Computer", which I believe will show all drives etc. Open the "C" drive, since I imagine that's where the Epson Drivers are installed. Go to Library and find the "Printers" folder and then the "Epson" folder. If there is no "Library" just try to find the "Printers > Epson" folder otherwise. In the Epson folder find a folder named InkjetPrinter2(or perhaps a different number). Open that folder and find the "Utility" folder, probably the last one in the list. Open the "Utility" folder. You should see two folders, one named UT followed by a number, and the other folder should be simply UTL. The UTL utility is the Lite version, so the one you want is the UT (with the number). Open that folder and you should see the Utility icon named "Epson Printer Utility (plus the number). Create an alias of that Utility and drag it to the desktop. This is the path I take to drag the Utility to the Dock, basically the same thing you want to accomplish except it will reside on your desktop.
With what I have written I hope it somehow relates to the Windows version of the Driver and its location etc. If you have any further questionsssssss, just ask and I'll try to devise an answer.
And one more question from me. Do you have "Auto Cleaning Cycles" turned on. If so you would perhaps not be able to run the "lines" version of the Nozzle Check Pattern from the printer control panel. If Auto is turned on, turn it off and then you should be able to run the "Abbreviated" Nozzle Check I believe.
Gary
-
Gary, lots to digest there. I am a total computer duffer. Any issue that I ultimately resolve is typically by luck or blind chance. That said, you have given me a pretty good trail of bread crumbs to follow this weekend.
I do not keep the Auto Clean function on. I did not even know there is one. With the LFP panel I would run the abbreviated nozzle check. Once that is done, in about 5 seconds, you have the option to start a "power cleaning." If I have not run the printer in a while, I will often get the "power cleaning" recommendation on the printer panel, which has to be activated manually, Typically, I will ignore that, and then do an abbreviated nozzle check to see if there is any evidence of clogging. Never forget, Epson is an ink company....
-
Gary, lots to digest there. I am a total computer duffer. Any issue that I ultimately resolve is typically by luck or blind chance. That said, you have given me a pretty good trail of bread crumbs to follow this weekend.
I do not keep the Auto Clean function on. I did not even know there is one. With the LFP panel I would run the abbreviated nozzle check. Once that is done, in about 5 seconds, you have the option to start a "power cleaning." If I have not run the printer in a while, I will often get the "power cleaning" recommendation on the printer panel, which has to be activated manually, Typically, I will ignore that, and then do an abbreviated nozzle check to see if there is any evidence of clogging. Never forget, Epson is an ink company....
Hi David,
I apologize for my somewhat limited knowledge of the Windows OS, but I believe at least some of my former instructions about where to find the "LFP Utility" should be helpful. I do have one Windows computer, which I use mainly for my accounting program, so I seldom explore the OS to any great extent, and of course I don't have a driver for the 7800 printer installed on that machine. Hopefully someone with more Windows savvy will chime in and help you with the search for the "Utility". However, when you have the time I imagine you will find it, if indeed it was installed with the driver as usual.
By the way, you should find the "Auto Clean" dialog in "Printer Setup" on the printer control panel. The default setting is "ON", so if you haven't turned it off it is still active. With that turned "OFF" you should always get what you refer to as the "Abbreviated" Nozzle Check Pattern when initiating a nozzle check directly from the printer control panel. No need to use the LFP Utility other than perhaps an alignment Etc.
As I have mentioned, even though I keep the LFP up to date, I almost never use it. All nozzle checks are run from the printer control panel.
Gary
-
Expanding on this for windows 10: Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck
1. Click on the lower leftmost icon which is shaped like a window. This brings up various icons to start working.
2. Click on the icon that looks like a gear. It's the second from the bottom left and is called "Settings."
3. Click on "Devices" which will bring up a list of printers, and other attached peripherals.
4. Click on "Printers & Scanners"
5. Click on Epson Stylus Pro 7800
6. Click on the "Manage" button.
7. Click on Printing preferences
8. Click on the right most tab labeled "Utility"
This opens a list of maintenance type options. The "Nozzle Check" button prints the thin line nozzle check.
-
Doug and Gary, again much obliged for your suggestions for a work around give Epson's decision to abandon the LFP for the 7800 in Windows 10. It does make sense, as you both point out that, there would be the same functions, albeit accessible from a location other than the LFP. I will check out the processes you describe and thank you for presenting them on a "remedial" level.
David
-
Expanding on this for windows 10: Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck
1. Click on the lower leftmost icon which is shaped like a window. This brings up various icons to start working.
2. Click on the icon that looks like a gear. It's the second from the bottom left and is called "Settings."
3. Click on "Devices" which will bring up a list of printers, and other attached peripherals.
4. Click on "Printers & Scanners"
5. Click on Epson Stylus Pro 7800
6. Click on the "Manage" button.
7. Click on Printing preferences
8. Click on the right most tab labeled "Utility"
This opens a list of maintenance type options. The "Nozzle Check" button prints the thin line nozzle check.
Hi Doug,
From what I've read here this seems like a rather involved procedure to simply run a nozzle check. Please don't misinterpret my intention Doug. I trust completely that this is indeed the proper procedure, although it does seem to be somewhat complex. Going back as far as I can recall, when running a nozzle check from the Printer Control Panel it's simply a matter of three clicks, and in less than half a minute I have the printed pattern. That has nothing to do with the OS, Windows or Mac, since it is being instigated strictly through the Printer Control Panel. And of course the pattern is as David describes, the "abbreviated" version, all one needs to check for dropped nozzles. I really cannot understand why anyone would want to let the printer initiate "Auto Nozzle Cleaning". When that happens we have no control over which nozzle pairs are being "cleaned", although I very much suspect that ALL channels are dumping ink just to clear perhaps one or two nozzles.
Having read through your instructions again I assume the "Utility" tab is simply part of the whole procedure and not an app in itself that one could alias and put on the desktop, or as on the Mac, in the Dock. Is that correct? If so it would seem that perhaps David will not be able to have the LFP Utility on his desktop as he wanted. I hope I am reading that part incorrectly, and that he might be able to eventually have some success with his initial request
EDIT: Sorry David, it seems that we were both writing at the same time and that you finished earlier. As I mentioned to David, I do indeed hope that you will find a positive response to your question.
Stay in touch and keep us updated. :)
Gary
-
Hi Doug,
From what I've read here this seems like a rather involved procedure to simply run a nozzle check.Gary
It certainly is longish when you are starting from a Windows main screen. Actually, items 7 and 8 are the same when accessing the printer driver settings in Photoshop or other printer applications. But if you don't have an app open you can do it this way from Windows directly with no app required.
It's actually pretty fast once you know the pattern. Just a series of clicks. It takes longer for Photoshop to load. As a practical matter I rarely do it that way since I am usually in Photoshop when the need arises and there it's just steps 7 and 8 from the print dialog.
-
It certainly is longish when you are starting from a Windows main screen. Actually, items 7 and 8 are the same when accessing the printer driver settings in Photoshop or other printer applications. But if you don't have an app open you can do it this way from Windows directly with no app required.
It's actually pretty fast once you know the pattern. Just a series of clicks. It takes longer for Photoshop to load. As a practical matter I rarely do it that way since I am usually in Photoshop when the need arises and there it's just steps 7 and 8 from the print dialog.
Hi Doug,
When I boot the Mac early morning my first action is to open LuLa to see what's happening. It's now 7am here in Ontario, close to Toronto, and I'm sitting at my work station constructing yet another reply. I've always been an early riser. The problem with that is I'm also a bit of a night hawk and the two sometimes colide. Second on my morning schedule is to boot up Photoshop and get ready for the work day, albeit not as much work since I moved my business to my home in Feb. 2017. My wife keeps telling me to retire, but this is what I do and have done for more years than I dare to admit. I've been trying to determine the positive aspects of working at home, but so far with little luck. However, it was a sort of forced move, so I'm trying to make the best of the situation and I think I'm finally starting to settle in. I still have some of my former customers and picking up new ones occasionally, but not like it used to be.
Oh my :o !¡! I do apologize for offering such an OT beginning to this reply. I guess I just had to blow off some early morning steam of sorts. My original thought was to mention that in all my years printing from Photoshop I have never run a nozzle check from within. As I mentioned a while back, my first procedure after starting the printer is to print a nozzle check and then take any action that deemed to be required.
Hmmmm :)...It is interesting - the varied methods we all have in our daily routines. Of course the only necessity is to develop a routine that works, but it is interesting to see what how others handle certain aspects of the work day.
Have a great day Doug,
Gary
-
It is interesting - the varied methods we all have in our daily routines. Of course the only necessity is to develop a routine that works, but it is interesting to see what how others handle certain aspects of the work day.
Indeed, it is interesting.
My old Epson 3800 and my newer P800 have been so reliable that for many years my "method" was pretty much:
1. Print a print, even if I hadn't printed in a few weeks.
2a. If the print looks OK, print more prints.
2b. If the print looks "off", do a nozzle check (often leading to a couple of head cleans & more nozzle checks.)
3. Make more prints. :)
I am now earnestly trying to improve my method (and save a few ... very few ... wasted prints):
1. If I haven't printed for a while, do a nozzle check.
2. Do a head clean and more nozzle checks as needed.
3. Make prints.
Works for me. ;)
-Eric
-
Indeed, it is interesting.
My old Epson 3800 and my newer P800 have been so reliable that for many years my "method" was pretty much:
1. Print a print, even if I hadn't printed in a few weeks.
2a. If the print looks OK, print more prints.
2b. If the print looks "off", do a nozzle check (often leading to a couple of head cleans & more nozzle checks.)
3. Make more prints. :)
I am now earnestly trying to improve my method (and save a few ... very few ... wasted prints):
1. If I haven't printed for a while, do a nozzle check.
2. Do a head clean and more nozzle checks as needed.
3. Make prints.
Works for me. ;)
-Eric
That sounds an awful lot like my approach Eric, except I run a nozzle check first. And as I discovered many years ago, if one or two nozzles have dropped out within the bottom two lines I go ahead and "Make a Print". At least 90% of the time those one or two dropped nozzles will have no adverse effects on the image. As I continue printing I might occasionally run another nozzle check mid day, and often those one or two dropped nozzles have magically healed themselves with no help from me except just Making Prints. We do occasionally tend to get bogged down in the minutia of the act of Making Prints, but sometimes it is really just that simple -- Make a Print and look at it. If there's a problem, fix it.
Have a great day Eric :)
Gary