Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: shaun on November 14, 2018, 02:07:33 pm
-
Hi
I have 2 printers hpz3100 which I use with the built in gloss optimiser and epson p800. With epson when I print studio based portraits against white background in particular when held to the side I get an effect like solarisation that I don't get with HP. Using epsons own semi gloss finish as I thought that would help but alas no. I keep the levels to 250. My HP is giving problems and thought if I could get the epson to perform that I am sorted. What do others do use a spray?
-
ok so I looked further into this so I think its gloss differential. Is there a paper better than others, semi gloss or will spray sort it?
-
Spoke with Permajet and they say it sounds like metaprism and to use their canned profile. Against white studio backgrounds I set my white point to 250 is that enough ?
-
What is the paper you're using and what setting?
Usually with having a white area and using color for the other areas, this "may" cause metamerism; but is based on the paper and settings used, as well as if the media coating (to accept the ink) is applied properly. One option is to put a very, very light black to the white (back ground) and this should help with that white issue against the color areas. Putting a very light black color (where it almost looks white) on the white area to help with the metamerism was suggested from our Epson tech years ago. The spray won't technically do much since it's the ink being applied to the paper and the spray is just protection.
Hope this make sense.
-
What is the paper you're using and what setting?
Usually with having a white area and using color for the other areas, this "may" cause metamerism; but is based on the paper and settings used, as well as if the media coating (to accept the ink) is applied properly. One option is to put a very, very light black to the white (back ground) and this should help with that white issue against the color areas. Putting a very light black color (where it almost looks white) on the white area to help with the metamerism was suggested from our Epson tech years ago. The spray won't technically do much since it's the ink being applied to the paper and the spray is just protection.
Hope this make sense.
Color inconstancy of the print under different lighting conditions (often inaccurately referred to as metamerism), bronzing, and differential gloss, are three visually distinct properties in a print. A spray coating applied as a post printing treatment often does wonders for bronzing and differential gloss, not so much for color inconstancy under different lighting conditions.
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
-
Thanks for your replies. The issue isn't just in the whites its the whole thing. Tried with permajet oyster using their canned profile too. Their rep said they use the same combo without this effect. See below a response from a different paper supplier which I think sounds right. I am also enclosing a sample image showing the effect here too.
I can say what you are experiencing metamerism.
It has to do with the inks, but also what we were talking about in relation to the white point in the paper.
A matt paper will completely eliminate this.
A natural Baryta should also reduce this greatly.
Something with little or no OBA (optical brightener)
Original inks work well Baryta Papers, such as Canson Prestige Baryta 340, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, Ilford Gold Fibre Silk or PermaJet FB Gold Silk.
They also do not have the high gloss, but will give a much better D-MAX (deeper level of black) than most Matt papers.
If you do go with some Matt papers, the Somerset we were talking about is great.
-
The described effects have nothing at all to do with metamerism.
-
Doug
Do you know what it is then?
Thanks
Shaun
-
Shaun
Looking at your photo, I'm pretty sure it is gloss differential. I see it on my P600 prints on lustre paper.
I've found that spraying the prints makes a big difference. I use National Art Materials Crystal Clear. This also improves the robustness of the print (e.g. for gentle cleaning). I found limited impact on the depth of blacks, maybe even a slight improvement.
Bob
-
Thanks Bob. Thats what I wondered would spray help.