Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 13, 2018, 02:37:14 pm

Title: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 13, 2018, 02:37:14 pm
I’ve searched the net and nothing has worked yet.  I just switched to a Mac with Mojave.  I am running the latest photoshop and Lightroom.  I usually print from Lightroom.  Printer is the Epson 3880. 

I’ve set the options for borderless, etc... but Lightroom still forces a .25 margin all around with .56 on the bottom.  I can’t zero these out. 

What is going on?
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Dave Rosser on November 13, 2018, 02:44:46 pm
Not sure but this may help. On Canon printer the selection of some "art" papers has the same limiting effect, don't know if same is true of Epsom but may be worth investigating.

Dave
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 13, 2018, 03:30:57 pm
Tony, did you check the 3880 manual to see what paper sizes are eligible for borderless printing (not all are), and how to make the necessary settings in the printer driver? This would determine would could be done through Lightroom. I don't have a 3880 any longer so I can't be more specific.
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 13, 2018, 05:02:23 pm
I’ve searched the net and nothing has worked yet.  I just switched to a Mac with Mojave.  I am running the latest photoshop and Lightroom.  I usually print from Lightroom.  Printer is the Epson 3880. 

I’ve set the options for borderless, etc... but Lightroom still forces a .25 margin all around with .56 on the bottom.  I can’t zero these out. 

What is going on?
I know in Windows you cannot zero them out and maybe it's the same on MacOS.  Look at page 47 of the manual; it shows some options for borderless printing.  LR has nothing to do with this, it is the Epson print driver that permits you to set the margins.
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 13, 2018, 05:10:23 pm
So this is very strange.  I have both my Windows 7 workstation, and my new OSX Mojave workstation side by side. 

If I print from the windows machine it works fine.  I can zero out the margins, tell the printer to expand to minimal, and print borderless.  This is an 8.5x11 sheet through the general feeder.

If I do the same exact settings on the Mac... the margins will not go away.  I've printed through Lightroom for years now and always had excellent results.  The same thing happens if I try from photoshop however...  The Mac forces the margins...the windows system lets me print however I want. 
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 13, 2018, 05:22:25 pm
Ok I just found a solution.  Thanks everyone that responded.  How interesting... so with all the paper options...you can't print borderless apparently.  I need to create custom paper sizes and designate them with 0 margin all around and then select that paper to print on.  Then Lightroom or photoshop allows me to print borderless.  Why the need for such a step?  Oh well... more experimenting to be done...
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Garnick on November 13, 2018, 06:01:23 pm
Ok I just found a solution.  Thanks everyone that responded.  How interesting... so with all the paper options...you can't print borderless apparently.  I need to create custom paper sizes and designate them with 0 margin all around and then select that paper to print on.  Then Lightroom or photoshop allows me to print borderless.  Why the need for such a step?  Oh well... more experimenting to be done...

This may have changed in Mojave, but I rather doubt that.  I've been using Epson Pro Graphic printers since 2003 and the SP7600's.  Then an SP9900 and now the P7000.  As far as I know, in all that time Epson has never offered printing borderless on any sheet sizes, only roll papers.  And yes, one always had to create custom paper sizes with "0" margins and extra sizing in order to print bordeless on roll stock.  Apparently that particular restriction is not part of Windows OS.

Gary   
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 13, 2018, 08:57:31 pm
I have printed borderless in Epson professional printers using sheet paper. It's a page set-up matter - in the driver.
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 13, 2018, 10:21:49 pm
So everything works great with custom sheets made.  I’ve always printed via windows and could just remove margins at any time.  That seemed so weird in transition to the Mac OS for work.
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Wayne Fox on November 14, 2018, 01:58:08 pm
This may have changed in Mojave, but I rather doubt that.  I've been using Epson Pro Graphic printers since 2003 and the SP7600's.  Then an SP9900 and now the P7000.  As far as I know, in all that time Epson has never offered printing borderless on any sheet sizes, only roll papers.  And yes, one always had to create custom paper sizes with "0" margins and extra sizing in order to print bordeless on roll stock.  Apparently that particular restriction is not part of Windows OS.

Gary
On the printers you mentioned (and other similar large format roll paper epson printers)  it is true you could only print full borderless on roll paper, but the Epson 3800/3880 printers could always printer borderless on sheets.
Title: Re: Can’t print full page on Mac with epson?!
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 14, 2018, 02:33:09 pm
On the printers you mentioned (and other similar large format roll paper epson printers)  it is true you could only print full borderless on roll paper, but the Epson 3800/3880 printers could always printer borderless on sheets.

Partly so. With the Epson SC-P5000 at least, one can print sheets borderless left and right, but not top and bottom.