Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: howardm on November 11, 2018, 09:31:07 am

Title: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: howardm on November 11, 2018, 09:31:07 am
Can you recommend a paper that is as matte as possible while still using PK ink, either rag (preferred) or cellulose?

So far, I've found Innova Semi-matte but I'm hoping you experienced people know of a hidden gem.

What is the likely outcome if I were to print and profile something like Epson HPB/HPN using PK?

Thanks,
Howard
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 11, 2018, 09:56:58 am

What is the likely outcome if I were to print and profile something like Epson HPB/HPN using PK?

Thanks,
Howard

Probably a mess.

To my eyes, an outstanding paper for Black shading appearance is Canon Fine Art Smooth, but it uses MK ink.
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: Panagiotis on November 11, 2018, 10:55:00 am
Can you recommend a paper that is as matte as possible while still using PK ink, either rag (preferred) or cellulose?

So far, I've found Innova Semi-matte but I'm hoping you experienced people know of a hidden gem.

What is the likely outcome if I were to print and profile something like Epson HPB/HPN using PK?

Thanks,
Howard
Take a look at
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin and
Permajet Photo Art Silk 290

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: John Caldwell on November 11, 2018, 11:14:38 am
Love the Photo Rag Satin here but it’s not for everyone, and my best results were obtained profiling the paper with MK ink. My PK profiles weren’t as good.

But I too suggest you give it a try if you’re looking for something a little unusual.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 11, 2018, 11:55:18 am
Sure, one can try anything and see what happens, nothing "fatal" will, but be aware that when you apply PK ink to a matte surface the results may be sub-optimal. Have a look at this thread: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114904.0; or here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=90365.0; or here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=21764; or here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=105334.0; etc. Given how *not new* this question is, the large profusion of good papers on the market and the range of views about what works best or OK, I think the safest advice is that you experiment with several of the paper suggestions you've seen or thought about and determine what works best for you.
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: howardm on November 11, 2018, 12:26:23 pm
Thanks Mark.

What I am/was looking for is a paper that is engineered for PK yet still has minimal gloss.

Every time I switch my 3880, I have to keep my fingers crossed that it's not switch that kills the valve.

Going down the experimental route sounds like a New England winter project :)
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 11, 2018, 12:40:05 pm
Howard, if the main thing you're concerned about is protecting the usability of the ink switch in the damper, it may be better to use it periodically than to leave it fixed in one position forever. As for the papers, based on the ones I've tested, luster and satin finishes are the less glossy of the gloss types, but they all use PK ink, and the "fine art smooth" matte papers are the least textured of the mattes, but they all use MK inks. I think it's probably best to use ink and papers in their recommended configurations and not worry about the effect on the damper of ink switching.
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: faberryman on November 11, 2018, 12:45:36 pm
I once had a friend whose father plugged and unplugged the TV from the wall socket so he wouldn't wear out the on/off switch. Instructive?
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: Panagiotis on November 11, 2018, 01:57:41 pm
Love the Photo Rag Satin here but it’s not for everyone, and my best results were obtained profiling the paper with MK ink. My PK profiles weren’t as good.

But I too suggest you give it a try if you’re looking for something a little unusual.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahnemuhle lists Photo Rag Satin as a Glossy Fine Art paper but it recommends MK black when printed on Canon PRO-1000. The blacks are brownish which is strange but there is a lot to like about this paper.

Permajet for Photo Art Silk recommends for PRO-1000 a paper type (Heavyweight Fine Art Paper) which uses both blacks PK,MK simultaneously.
Title: Re: Most 'matte-ish' PK paper?
Post by: aaronchan on November 11, 2018, 02:15:10 pm
I used to print only PK ink on most of the matte paper. Photo Rag 308 always work very well for me and my clients


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk