Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Fred Ragland on October 23, 2006, 02:26:14 pm
-
My American Photo Magazine arrived today with Michael's article "D-SLR Workshop...Is Bigger Still Better?" The article is a collection of the pros and cons of digital backs. Its a good overview which introduces many of the issues faced by those beginning to wrestle with the notion of moving to a MFDB.
After reading it, however, I was struck with how much more we are exposed to on this forum than can be provided in a magazine article written months ago for the general photographic public. If you've been watching the MFDB forum on this site you're eons further down the road to understanding these issues than can be published in a brief magazine article.
-
I agree.
Lately, while reading photography magazines, I either end up rolling my eyes, or laughing at the content, compared to what I already know.
-
Which is why the magazine industry is in such big trouble.
When I'm asked to write an article for a print magazine I'm luckly if I'm allowed 2500 words. On the web there's obviously no limit, and the opportunity for reader dialog is a clear bonus all around.
On the other hand, magazines pay a bit better.
Michael
-
Which is why the magazine industry is in such big trouble.
When I'm asked to write an article for a print magazine I'm luckly if I'm allowed 2500 words. On the web there's obviously no limit, and the opportunity for reader dialog is a clear bonus all around.
On the other hand, magazines pay a bit better.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81829\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Lead times are a big problem too - the two magazines I contribute to are both quarterly thus every word I write will be about 4 months out of date by the time the mag hits the stands. Four months is a loooong time in photography these days.
-
Four months is a loooong time in photography these days.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81878\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One can get a book published in 4 months or so, not counting writing time ;-)
-
One can get a book published in 4 months or so, not counting writing time ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Indeed. I print in China and figure on 3 months from approval of proofs to delivery, and that 3 months includes shipping by sea to Australia.
Did you get you book printed in the US or Asia?
-
Did you get your book printed in the US or Asia?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=82059\")
Hi Nick,
It is published not by me but by a professional publisher. They are having it printed in Canada at Friesens (www.friesens.com). I saw proofs and both the layout and the printing are superb (and I am hard to please).
I have the book's table of contents on my website if you are interested in seeing the contents. I am planning to post an excerpt from a sample chapter later on:
[a href=\"http://beautiful-landscape.com/Articles-Book-1.html]http://beautiful-landscape.com/Articles-Book-1.html[/url]
Regards,
-
One can get a book published in 4 months or so, not counting writing time ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's the writing time that's the killer.
I have the new Martin Evening book on Lightroom; you can buy it as an in-progress PDF from the publisher's website, and then get the final bound version when the commercial version of Lightroom comes out and the manuscript is finalized. For fast moving topics like digital photography instruction, this may be the wave of the future.
JC