Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: James Clark on November 02, 2018, 05:25:20 pm

Title: The Billiards Room
Post by: James Clark on November 02, 2018, 05:25:20 pm
Some tricky contrast, but it ended up working pretty well in black and white, where the specular highlights looked much better.

Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: RSL on November 02, 2018, 07:43:43 pm
Good one, James. It's all about graphics, so B&W is the only reasonable way to do it.
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: John R on November 02, 2018, 09:40:11 pm
Great shot. Excellent composition and toning.

JR
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 03, 2018, 04:37:49 am
Agree with all of the above, except this: the forth corner disappearing into a black hole.
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 03, 2018, 04:42:22 am
Great shot. Excellent composition and toning.

Agreed. But the game about to be played is not billiards  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: RSL on November 03, 2018, 07:02:18 am
Right, Jeremy. That always bugs me too: calling a pool table a billiard table.
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on November 03, 2018, 08:14:08 am
 Very well seen and captured James. Non cash value bonus points are awarded to our Moderator  ;)
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Rob C on November 03, 2018, 08:15:21 am
Very nice image, James. I'm a great fan of darkness where it helps, and usually, it does. Too much light even destroys romance; ask any professional lady of the night.

No wonder my little heart bleeds to be back in the city, even if mine (city) was never so tall.

City equates with throb and life and even dramatic death; countryside equates with ruminating cows. I suppose those bulls would see it in another light, proving yet again that thing about different strokes. I draw comfort from the fact that rumination was ever a substantial part of my brain function, thus absolving me from too much guilt - I was only obeying the programme; what else can one reasonably do?

;-)
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: James Clark on November 03, 2018, 08:40:29 am
Gentlemen... first, thanks.   But second, it's "The Billiards *Room* not "The Billiards Table."  There's almost certainly a billiards table off in the room somewhere.  Maybe in Slobodan's dark corner.

You believe me, right? 

 ;D
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: petermfiore on November 03, 2018, 08:55:19 am
Gentlemen... first, thanks.   But second, it's "The Billiards *Room* not "The Billiards Table."  There's almost certainly a billiards table off in the room somewhere.  Maybe in Slobodan's dark corner.

You believe me, right? 

 ;D

Right!

Peter
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: RSL on November 03, 2018, 08:57:00 am
Gentlemen... first, thanks.   But second, it's "The Billiards *Room* not "The Billiards Table."  There's almost certainly a billiards table off in the room somewhere.  Maybe in Slobodan's dark corner.

You believe me, right? 

 ;D

Sure, James. No doubt about it.

The only place I ever saw a collection of real billiards tables was in the University of Michigan Men's Union. Of course that was in the late forties and early fifties when you still could have a "Men's Union." The billiards room also had two three-rail billiards tables, also known as three-cushion billiards. These tables were quite a bit larger than the standard billiards tables, and watching a pair of contestants work with the geometry involved in touching three rails was an astonishing experience.
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: James Clark on November 03, 2018, 09:02:12 am
Very nice image, James. I'm a great fan of darkness where it helps, and usually, it does. Too much light even destroys romance; ask any professional lady of the night.

No wonder my little heart bleeds to be back in the city, even if mine (city) was never so tall.

City equates with throb and life and even dramatic death; countryside equates with ruminating cows. I suppose those bulls would see it in another light, proving yet again that thing about different strokes. I draw comfort from the fact that rumination was ever a substantial part of my brain function, thus absolving me from too much guilt - I was only obeying the programme; what else can one reasonably do?

;-)

What city was home, Rob?
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Rob C on November 03, 2018, 09:47:55 am
What city was home, Rob?

Glasgow, Scotland.

Left it in '81, and not been back to visit since 2004. My family still lives there, though, and tells me that I'd be totally lost trying to drive anywhere anymore.

In the meantime, many of my good clients there have since vanished off the face of the planet due to the same market forces that, at the end of the 70s, encouraged me to spread my wings and leap off the cliff. Whether new ones have sprung up, in the same industries, I don't know, but for sure, the ethos has changed.

I feel an unrealistic urge to return and try to defeat the age barriers. Sadly, unless my present apartment sells soon, it will remain another unfulfilled dream, just like owning a Leica currently is. I know it's probably the wrong machine for me - knew that during my working years which was why I didn't buy one when it posed no problem - but I have to confess that many of my heroes did very well working within rangefinder limitations.

How odd that one question leads to more than one answer...

:-)
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Rob C on November 03, 2018, 09:54:27 am
Sure, James. No doubt about it.

The only place I ever saw a collection of real billiards tables was in the University of Michigan Men's Union. Of course that was in the late forties and early fifties when you still could have a "Men's Union." The billiards room also had two three-rail billiards tables, also known as three-cushion billiards. These tables were quite a bit larger than the standard billiards tables, and watching a pair of contestants work with the geometry involved in touching three rails was an astonishing experience.

Well, in some universities they even attack guests about to speak because those guests don't follow the true, politically correct dogma. Talk about opportunities to widen experience and minds through exposure to the new, contradictory and challenging

I wonder what Orwell would say about all this.

Rob
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Two23 on November 03, 2018, 12:03:18 pm
Excellent use of light. :)


Kent in SD
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 03, 2018, 01:20:35 pm
Gentlemen... first, thanks.   But second, it's "The Billiards *Room* not "The Billiards Table."  There's almost certainly a billiards table off in the room somewhere.  Maybe in Slobodan's dark corner.

You believe me, right? 

Of course! In my defence, I wasn't complaining about the title, just commenting on the game. If the table were larger, it could be snooker.

Russ, have you ever played bar billiards?

Jeremy
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: RSL on November 03, 2018, 03:25:07 pm
No. I know what the game looks like, Jeremy, but that's about all. On the other hand I played a lot of bar shuffleboard when I was in college. In fact, I was pretty competitive.
Title: Re: The Billiards Room
Post by: Ivophoto on November 04, 2018, 11:02:46 am
Of course! In my defence, I wasn't complaining about the title, just commenting on the game. If the table were larger, it could be snooker.

Russ, have you ever played bar billiards?

Jeremy

As a Belgian, I did. It is ‘the’ game in every Belgian cafe on the corner.
Most cafes have the carambole version, it’s a smaller table as the 3 cushion billiards. For years, Belgium delivered the world champion 3 cushion billiard.