Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: rastas on October 31, 2018, 11:29:02 pm
-
I'll be getting the GFX100s when it comes out. I need it to have a certain feature/capability relating to the wireless use of the camera. Anyone know someone who might know someone in the Fujifilm company who I can send some thoughts/requests to? (yeah, I think they might listen....).
thanks
robert
-
You may find someone who is willing to share contact information over the Internet (which will solve the issue), but other than people with public facing jobs, it would, perhaps, not be appropriate.
Fuji is known to monitor the Fuji X forum and I would guess they sample conversations here, too. So your quickest method might be to post the ideas where they are likely to see it and where a person with a friend on the inside could share it :).
If you can stir up a discussion and interest in other users, you are even more likely to get traction.
-
Early on after the release of the GFX, I had occasion to talk to someone in technical support, which I believe was in New Jersey. I was very impressed with their willingness to listen to suggestions and comments. I can't recall for sure because of the passage of time, but I have the distinct impression that they were going to pass my comments to the appropriate develop people. After the call, I had the distinct impression that this was a camera company that wanted customer feedback and wanted to make the best camera on the market. I would start with tech support.
-
I know a number of people at Fuji. But FUJI, Japan and elsewhere monitor this forum and the other FUJI forums. It’s not only the suggestion of ideas but the kind of discussions that go on around the idea. I have sat with their team and they are all ears. However, you may be surprised how many of the right people read a forum like this. So suggest away here and hopefully a full a supportive discussion will follow. That gets there attention.
-
As Kevin is green lighting suggestions here, I'd like to throw it out there for Fuji:
Because it seems apparent that Sony is producing a monochrome variant of the IMX461 sensor used in the GFX100 (https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/products/index.html), I'd love to see Fuji produce a monochrome/achromatic GFX variant in the future. Could Fuji please make that happen?
-
Ok, while we are making suggestions for Fuji, I would love to see at least *one* LS lens in their arsenal, or begin supporting AF in their Hasselblad H adaptor. That is a big feature that Phase has over Fuji. I like Leica’s approach with the S in giving people the option to purchase LS versions of their lenses at a premium for those who need/want it
-
When the GFX50s came out I bought it. It didn't have a feature I needed - a feature described below - so I immediately returned the camera. I want to buy the gfx-100 when it comes out and I hope Fuji can improve a feature related to its wireless usage.
I'm a professional photographer and shoot hotels (architecture) across the country. When shooting, my technique is to compose the camera, lock it down on tripod, and shoot several frames of the space, with different lighting setups.
To successfully do this, I need for the camera to be controlled remotely, wirelessly, not tethered, using an ipad. I currently use a 5dsr and tilt shift lenses, and use the camranger to control the camera.
I WANT TO DO THIS WITH THE GFX100. Specifically, I want to be able to do the following, with a new and improved Fuji app and BETTER wifi system in the camera:
-Control the camera's aperture, shutter speed and shutter release remotely. (can do with the current fuji pp)
-use live view and PINCH to zoom or double tap to zoom in, check focus, move around the image in live view. (Cant do with the fuji app)
-be able to see the image shot immediately or almost immediately after taking a photo - the actual image that the camera captures (where I can see the effects of flash for example) and not a freeze image of the live view stream. Doesn't have to be a raw file, just a low res jpg. (cant do this with the fuji app)
-be able to quickly and easily scroll through recently shot images, without having to go to another place within the app, click on several very small images, download them to ipad, then preview them. Thats' slow and cumbersome. (cant do this with the current app)
Basically I want your GFX to do what I currently do with the canon/nikon + camranger solution.
If you guys can do this, you would rule the world. I realize you have an app already that does some of these things, but not all of them. It is a weak, simple and non professional app. I need something for professional usage, to go along with the GFX 100.
While your at it make a couple tilt shift lenses (ha).
Please consider implementing this kind of solution. It does NOT exist now with your GFX camera, and have been told by smart computer engineer type people that the current wifi protocol on gfx doesn't allow for some of these features described above; if that's the case I hope you can make that protocol more like canon or nikon's wifi protocol (where it pushes images on the fly).
-
I'm going to love this thread.
👏🏻
Edit:
I think it's going to be the new thread directly addressed to Fuji.
😄
When the GFX50s came out I bought it. It didn't have a feature I needed - a feature described below - so I immediately returned the camera. I want to buy the gfx-100 when it comes out and I hope Fuji can improve a feature related to its wireless usage.
I'm a professional photographer and shoot hotels (architecture) across the country. When shooting, my technique is to compose the camera, lock it down on tripod, and shoot several frames of the space, with different lighting setups.
To successfully do this, I need for the camera to be controlled remotely, wirelessly, not tethered, using an ipad. I currently use a 5dsr and tilt shift lenses, and use the camranger to control the camera.
I WANT TO DO THIS WITH THE GFX100. Specifically, I want to be able to do the following, with a new and improved Fuji app and BETTER wifi system in the camera:
-Control the camera's aperture, shutter speed and shutter release remotely. (can do with the current fuji pp)
-use live view and PINCH to zoom or double tap to zoom in, check focus, move around the image in live view. (Cant do with the fuji app)
-be able to see the image shot immediately or almost immediately after taking a photo - the actual image that the camera captures (where I can see the effects of flash for example) and not a freeze image of the live view stream. Doesn't have to be a raw file, just a low res jpg. (cant do this with the fuji app)
-be able to quickly and easily scroll through recently shot images, without having to go to another place within the app, click on several very small images, download them to ipad, then preview them. Thats' slow and cumbersome. (cant do this with the current app)
Basically I want your GFX to do what I currently do with the canon/nikon + camranger solution.
If you guys can do this, you would rule the world. I realize you have an app already that does some of these things, but not all of them. It is a weak, simple and non professional app. I need something for professional usage, to go along with the GFX 100.
While your at it make a couple tilt shift lenses (ha).
Please consider implementing this kind of solution. It does NOT exist now with your GFX camera, and have been told by smart computer engineer type people that the current wifi protocol on gfx doesn't allow for some of these features described above; if that's the case I hope you can make that protocol more like canon or nikon's wifi protocol (where it pushes images on the fly).
-
To successfully do this, I need for the camera to be controlled remotely, wirelessly, not tethered, using an ipad. I currently use a 5dsr and tilt shift lenses, and use the camranger to control the camera.
I WANT TO DO THIS WITH THE GFX100. Specifically, I want to be able to do the following, with a new and improved Fuji app and BETTER wifi system in the camera:
-Control the camera's aperture, shutter speed and shutter release remotely. (can do with the current fuji pp)
-use live view and PINCH to zoom or double tap to zoom in, check focus, move around the image in live view. (Cant do with the fuji app)
-be able to see the image shot immediately or almost immediately after taking a photo - the actual image that the camera captures (where I can see the effects of flash for example) and not a freeze image of the live view stream. Doesn't have to be a raw file, just a low res jpg. (cant do this with the fuji app)
-be able to quickly and easily scroll through recently shot images, without having to go to another place within the app, click on several very small images, download them to ipad, then preview them. Thats' slow and cumbersome. (cant do this with the current app)
Basically I want your GFX to do what I currently do with the canon/nikon + camranger solution.
Has anyone played with CaptureOne and CapturePilot while tethered with the GFX? I mean, at the end of the day that's more or less what this request is.
-
I've done every conceivable way of using the GFX wirelessly and none really work well. Have spend hundreds of hours in past year trying to find a way to do this, but there isn't a good way.
so I'm writing fuji.
The best solution is the Fuji app, but its god awful.
The capture one solution you speak of requires a computer. I need camera to ipad directly. I've tried cascable, camranger, tether tools, shutter snitch and a bunch of other third party solutions. I've considered everything, even having my own app built.....
I hope fuji can find a way to do this.
-
Basically I want your GFX to do what I currently do with the canon/nikon + camranger solution.
If Fuji's API for the GFX were available to the Camranger engineers they should be able to add the camera to their system. Whether or not it's financially lucrative or not I don't know.
Please consider implementing this kind of solution. It does NOT exist now with your GFX camera, and have been told by smart computer engineer type people that the current wifi protocol on gfx doesn't allow for some of these features described above; if that's the case I hope you can make that protocol more like canon or nikon's wifi protocol (where it pushes images on the fly).
I'd be surprised if the protocol they're using isn't current. It's more likely they're throttling it to manage the power consumption of the chip-set. Remember the Camranger isn't powered by the camera, it's self powered.
-
If Fuji's API for the GFX were available to the Camranger engineers they should be able to add the camera to their system. Whether or not it's financially lucrative or not I don't know.
I'd be surprised if the protocol they're using isn't current. It's more likely they're throttling it to manage the power consumption of the chip-set. Remember the Camranger isn't powered by the camera, it's self powered.
Cascable almost had a solution, so close, and it works with many portable router models. However they won't put their resources into officially supporting the GFX as they say the user base is too small. Fuji could either just buy their company or provide similar functionality. Interestingly, it may be possible for Lightroom Mobile cataloging to work with it, even if only with jpgs.
-
cascable was close, but still awful. controls hard to use, had to go to separate area to see previously shot images (and download them and wait), couldn't double tap to zoom.
CAMRANGER says they are going to add fuji support and wrote to me in an email that "fuji gfx100 will probably be supported".
but still...
-
I've done every conceivable way of using the GFX wirelessly and none really work well. Have spend hundreds of hours in past year trying to find a way to do this, but there isn't a good way.
so I'm writing fuji.
The best solution is the Fuji app, but its god awful.
The capture one solution you speak of requires a computer. I need camera to ipad directly. I've tried cascable, camranger, tether tools, shutter snitch and a bunch of other third party solutions. I've considered everything, even having my own app built.....
I hope fuji can find a way to do this.
Your expectations working with a 100mp file are a bit much. The GFX 50mp RAF files are 116MB, figure the 101mp will be around 250MB, . The camera is mounted to a tripod, adding a Surface or Macbook Air to accomplish what you need isn't a huge ask. Especially if you're already working in the tool you'll be doing the final editing with the file. If you haven't worked with CaptureOne tethering recently, I'd highly recommend it.
-
Well now if we had C1 for the iPad. That would be amazing. The new pros are fast enough to handle even the 150Mo files. The only question is will phase out effort into it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
"Your expectations working with a 100mp file are a bit much. The GFX 50mp RAF files are 116MB, figure the 101mp will be around 250MB, . The camera is mounted to a tripod, adding a Surface or Macbook Air to accomplish what you need isn't a huge ask. Especially if you're already working in the tool you'll be doing the final editing with the file. If you haven't worked with CaptureOne tethering recently, I'd highly recommend it."
This isn't a good solution for me. My camera is often wedged into a corner of a room. Dont want to have to fiddle with repositioning the laptop (if mounted to tripod) everytime I move camera, and deal with the discconnects from bumped cables. I also move around the space with my lighting and need to be able to remotely trigger camera when I'm not at camera.
When I'm shooting hotels, I have to move around in an efficient manner and cant' be slowed down my wires and laptops.
Dont need or want raw files to come to ipad, just small jpgs.
Please fuji. Make your app great.