Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Alan Klein on October 22, 2018, 03:04:42 pm

Title: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: Alan Klein on October 22, 2018, 03:04:42 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/photographer-searches-couple-whose-proposal-captured-yosemite-national-park-165036946.html (https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/photographer-searches-couple-whose-proposal-captured-yosemite-national-park-165036946.html)
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: MattBurt on October 22, 2018, 03:41:32 pm
Looks like it's worth a bit of publicity. Nice shot, too.
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: HSakols on October 22, 2018, 07:55:36 pm
I hope the couple is found!  :)
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: praja343 on October 23, 2018, 11:52:27 am
Not found because she said "No"?
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: MattBurt on October 23, 2018, 12:02:32 pm
Not found because she said "No"?

I wondered too. That would be a good reason to stay quiet.
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: LesPalenik on October 26, 2018, 09:02:35 pm
(Another) couple fell to their death from that cliff on Thursday.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Yosemite-National-Park-man-woman-die-Taft-Point-13336307.php
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: HSakols on October 27, 2018, 10:59:26 am
All of these deaths are quite tragic and affect many of their loved ones.  We also lost the legendary Dean Potter at Taft Point, but he was taking a calculated risk.  His death saddened many who live in Yosemite. The is something powerful about places like this that attracts people from all walks of life. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/1981591/dean-potter-killed-base-jumping-accident
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: Two23 on October 29, 2018, 11:45:19 pm
Apparently a mystery no more.  The couple has been found.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/couple-killed-fall-yosemites-taft-221403357.html


Kent in SD
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: Alan Klein on October 30, 2018, 12:14:54 am
All of these deaths are quite tragic and affect many of their loved ones.  We also lost the legendary Dean Potter at Taft Point, but he was taking a calculated risk.  His death saddened many who live in Yosemite. The is something powerful about places like this that attracts people from all walks of life. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/1981591/dean-potter-killed-base-jumping-accident

How were they killed?  DIdn't the chuites open or what?
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: HSakols on October 30, 2018, 09:51:38 am
Alan,  From what I understand one of them hit the wall before clearing the notch.  It really is a beautiful sight when everything goes right. 

Oh and they found the couple:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/photographer-finally-finds-mystery-couple-200207481.html
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: ned on October 31, 2018, 10:32:16 am
(Another) couple fell to their death from that cliff on Thursday.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Yosemite-National-Park-man-woman-die-Taft-Point-13336307.php

Tragic. He worked at my company.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: MattBurt on October 31, 2018, 12:15:12 pm
Alan,  From what I understand one of them hit the wall before clearing the notch.  It really is a beautiful sight when everything goes right. 

Oh and they found the couple:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/photographer-finally-finds-mystery-couple-200207481.html

Yeah and they follow closely, usually with the second flyer filming. The second guy has to rely on the first guy to get the line right. The thought was that when Dean hit the wall Graham didn't have time to change his trajectory and just followed him into it.
Sad, but these guys knew what was at stake.
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: Benny Profane on June 08, 2021, 07:25:34 pm
I'm reading this right now: https://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Canyon-Expanded-Anniversary/dp/0984785809 Lots of ways to die in GC, and posing for silly photos is one of them for many. The authors also have another volume about Yosemite.
Title: Re: What's this Yosemite marriage proposal photo worth?
Post by: Adam Schallau on January 21, 2022, 07:01:02 pm
I began to read that book while rafting the Colorado River. I had skipped forward to the chapter covering deaths on the river, and the very next day I had a close call when the raft I was in flipped and I was trapped below the raft with a rope wrapped around one of my legs. I was able to free myself and get out from under the raft. The boatman was injured which lead to me being asked to learn to row. I'm not sure if I'll read the rest of the book. 8)

There's a great map inspired by the book, Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon, that helps tell the fascinating and heartbreaking stories of more than 700 lives lost. You can view the map at the following link: Death in the Grand Canyon interative map (https://www.esri.com/en-us/maps-we-love/gallery/death-grand-canyon).


I'm reading this right now: https://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Canyon-Expanded-Anniversary/dp/0984785809 Lots of ways to die in GC, and posing for silly photos is one of them for many. The authors also have another volume about Yosemite.