Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Two23 on October 21, 2018, 11:42:48 am
-
In my continuing quest to post photos of subjects no one cares about using archaic camera gear, here's a few from this past season's threshing events. These are popular during late summer and early fall through out the Midwest. There's generally one within easy driving distance every weekend in the rural areas. I've been using a mix of modern Nikon cameras/lenses and historic camera gear depending on the activity and what I'm after. Action is usually done with the Nikon, portraits done with 4x5 & glass plates. Rules are very relaxed at these events, if they exist at all. That makes access easy! Most all of the participants and attendees have lived on farms and know how to act around large machinery. If you are careless and get squished, it's your own damn fault. Steam tractors and threshing is one of my favorite things to photo. :)
1 & 2. Plowing at Andover, South Dakota
3. Threshing oats at Menno, South Dakota
4. Gearing on a 1914 McCormick separator
Kent in SD
-
I have come back to these a couple of times. I particularly like the first and am intrigued by the phyisicality.
-
Really enjoy viewing these. But let me tell you, no matter how careful, those people atop the moving thresher are in a dangerous position. No safeguards. Wow.
JR
-
Superb! No wonder that's one of your favourite subjects.
Man, that is some black dirt right there.
-
Great set, especially the first.
-
Terrific set!
-
A fine set, Kent, though they don't make me homesick for Rapid City.
-
nice set of photos...reminds me of a bygone era sort of
-
Great series, especially 1,2, and 4
-
I do enjoy getting out and photo'ing these events. The people are always friendly and I have a lot of fun. While many people like to take photos there, I try to take some of the less obvious ones. When they work they can be pretty cool!
1. Kory Anderson stoking the firebox
2. Gang plowing at Andover, SD
3. Nicole, Lady of Steam
4. Dog & Cat
Kent in SD
-
These all have power and passion. Great set.
My favorites in the new set are Nicole, and "Cat and Dog" (where the dog and the guy have matching smiles.)
-
Hey, these are wonderful!
JR
-
My favorites in the new set are .... "Cat and Dog" (where the dog and the guy have matching smiles.)
Yes, both are plump & older and their facial expressions match. Take a look at the guy's hat for a clue why I titled this "Dog & Cat." :) I get a laugh every time I see this one. Photo was taken with a Leica IIIc, c.1932 50mm Elmar, and FP4, btw.
Kent in SD
-
The doggo reminds me of a childhood friend, a Dachshund named Heidi. :)
-Dave-