Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: adriantyler on September 25, 2018, 04:44:26 am

Title: Sony A7 & 50mm Leica lens compatibility (sorry for such a subjective topic)
Post by: adriantyler on September 25, 2018, 04:44:26 am
I know that this has been well documented, but there is quite a bit of conflicting information.

My main lens on Sony A7rII is the 50mm Sony FE 1.4, which is really good but heavy and (for me) kind of defeats the purpose of lightweight mirrorless.

Anyway after reading about the problems with wide angle Leica glass I left it alone. However I tried a Summicron v.IV and it worked flawlessly, I also have a little Elmar f4 90mm macro which is simply stunning on the A7rII.

My question is: has anyone had direct experience with the new version of the 50mm Summicron, the Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH on the Sony A7?

Sorry for such a subjective topic, I live in Madrid and there is no option to rent and try.

Thanks
Title: Re: Sony A7 & 50mm Leica lens compatibility (sorry for such a subjective topic)
Post by: Telecaster on September 25, 2018, 03:55:48 pm
My question is: has anyone had direct experience with the new version of the 50mm Summicron, the Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH on the Sony A7?

I've used an APO 'Cron (belonging to my dentist acquaintance) on an A7iii with excellent results. Actually every Leitz/Leica M 50mm I've tried has worked great on the A7iii, from a 1930s Summar to the current Summilux. Can't say for sure, though, how well the APO 'Cron would work on an original A7 as the sensor tech is different.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Sony A7 & 50mm Leica lens compatibility (sorry for such a subjective topic)
Post by: adriantyler on September 26, 2018, 01:40:28 am
thanks very much dave, appreciated.
Title: Re: Sony A7 & 50mm Leica lens compatibility (sorry for such a subjective topic)
Post by: scooby70 on September 27, 2018, 04:47:21 am
I know that this has been well documented, but there is quite a bit of conflicting information.

My main lens on Sony A7rII is the 50mm Sony FE 1.4, which is really good but heavy and (for me) kind of defeats the purpose of lightweight mirrorless.

Anyway after reading about the problems with wide angle Leica glass I left it alone. However I tried a Summicron v.IV and it worked flawlessly, I also have a little Elmar f4 90mm macro which is simply stunning on the A7rII.

My question is: has anyone had direct experience with the new version of the 50mm Summicron, the Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH on the Sony A7?

Sorry for such a subjective topic, I live in Madrid and there is no option to rent and try.

Thanks

Unless you are really committed to the Leica lens how about having a look at the excellent small and light Sony 55mm f1.8?
Title: Re: Sony A7 & 50mm Leica lens compatibility (sorry for such a subjective topic)
Post by: adriantyler on September 28, 2018, 09:46:45 am
Unless you are really committed to the Leica lens how about having a look at the excellent small and light Sony 55mm f1.8?

yes, i had a copy and it was great altough a bit sharper on one side than the other. however i prefer the way the fe1.4 ‘draws.’ this makes it worth lugging all that extra heft for me...