Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on September 17, 2018, 12:48:43 pm

Title: Black and white and gold
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 17, 2018, 12:48:43 pm
Fall and winter arrive at about the same time in British Columbia.
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 17, 2018, 01:03:45 pm
Very nice!
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 18, 2018, 04:56:56 am
Very good.
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 18, 2018, 07:54:36 am
Ditto to both.
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 18, 2018, 09:29:30 am
I really like the light in this shot and I also really like the colours and the subject matter, but I am not so sure about that boulder on the lower left being sort of half in and half out of the shot. So I wonder if you perhaps took a shot from a little to the left or right of this position that framed out the boulder or pulled it fully into the scene?

But as I say, I really like mostly everything that is going on in this shot, but that boulder feels a little bit uncomfortable to me as it sits on the edge of the frame, but then that is me and how I see and try to shoot the world and so many other photographers on here might not agree with what I am saying, as they might see things differently.

Dave
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: stamper on September 18, 2018, 09:52:47 am
Wow.
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 18, 2018, 10:50:12 pm
Thanks, everyone. Glad you liked it. This was my first shot of the day. It was also the highest larch in that valley.

I really like the light in this shot and I also really like the colours and the subject matter, but I am not so sure about that boulder on the lower left being sort of half in and half out of the shot. So I wonder if you perhaps took a shot from a little to the left or right of this position that framed out the boulder or pulled it fully into the scene?

Thanks, Dave. I agree that the boulder would be better in or out but not both. I lined up the tree against the dark mountain. In general, while I agree with your sentiment, I have decided that some imperfections must remain in imperfect landscapes.

Scott
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 19, 2018, 03:31:04 am
The main subject is so strong that I didn't noticed the boulder at first.

But, as often, once you saw it it can be distracting.

Perhaps darkening it slightly would be enough.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 20, 2018, 04:44:00 pm
The main subject is so strong that I didn't noticed the boulder at first.

But, as often, once you saw it it can be distracting.

Perhaps darkening it slightly would be enough.

Yes, that helps. Thanks, Thierry.
Title: Re: Black and white and gold
Post by: mseawell on October 06, 2018, 10:25:56 pm
Lovely capture!

Mark