Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Chris Kern on September 06, 2018, 04:12:51 pm

Title: Horizon from a Different Perspective
Post by: Chris Kern on September 06, 2018, 04:12:51 pm
Made Tuesday afternoon—over Wyoming, I think—through the window of an airliner flying between Vancouver, B.C., and Denver, Colorado.
Title: Re: Horizon from a Different Perspective
Post by: RSL on September 06, 2018, 04:15:50 pm
Thanks, Chris. When I was flying I used to love the trips over the mountains.
Title: Re: Horizon from a Different Perspective
Post by: churly on September 07, 2018, 11:52:20 am
Made Tuesday afternoon—over Wyoming, I think—through the window of an airliner flying between Vancouver, B.C., and Denver, Colorado.
Yes.  Looking west from the Wind River Range.  The lake on the far right is Fremont Lake.
Chuck
Title: Re: Horizon from a Different Perspective
Post by: Chris Kern on September 07, 2018, 01:16:57 pm
Yes.  Looking west from the Wind River Range.  The lake on the far right is Fremont Lake.

Thanks for confirming my guess, which was based on the timestamp in the image file's metadata and my estimate of where in the flightpath (which for the purpose of the estimate I assumed was direct airport-to-airport) the aircraft would have been at that time.

On the ground, I use a portable GPS (a Bad Elf (https://bad-elf.com/)) to create a tracklog that I can correlate with the timestamps.  I keep meaning to try it during a flight.  Since it's a passive device, I presume the airlines have no objection.  Of course, whether I could maintain a solid satellite fix while surrounded by an airplane fuselage is open to question.
Title: Re: Horizon from a Different Perspective
Post by: Telecaster on September 07, 2018, 02:45:47 pm
This is similar terrain taken about three months ago somewhere between Detroit and Salt Lake City.

-Dave-