Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: RMW on August 30, 2018, 05:24:07 pm

Title: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: RMW on August 30, 2018, 05:24:07 pm
Lake Maurepas, Louisiana 2011
richardwallerphotos.com
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 30, 2018, 05:50:33 pm
That is so not “not so pretty.” On the contrary. Very, very well done. Bravo!
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: 32BT on August 31, 2018, 04:17:59 am
Why is this in the same vein?
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 31, 2018, 04:56:57 am
Simply well done.
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: RMW on August 31, 2018, 10:40:21 am
Thank you all for your comments.

Opgr. About this being in the same vein as "Not so pretty": to me they're similar because they're both barren landscapes, there's little or no plant or animal life, with each portending something ominous.

Slobodan. Thank you for your encouragement. Hard as I try, I can't see this foto as anything but sad. Maybe beautiful, maybe ugly too. I wanted to express my sorrow for a decomposing cypress tree- one remnant tree where an entire forest once grew.

Richard
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on August 31, 2018, 10:42:39 am
Very good shot.
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 31, 2018, 11:32:35 am
... Hard as I try, I can't see this foto as anything but sad. Maybe beautiful, maybe ugly too. I wanted to express my sorrow for a decomposing cypress tree- one remnant tree where an entire forest once grew...[/quote]

There is a beauty in sadness too. There is even a word for it: elegy.

Then there is a reality, ugly or not, and there is an artistic interpretation of it. You managed splendidly the latter. The tonal variations, simplicity of design, compositional placement of elements, balance... The little puffy cloud right on top of the distant stump, on the otherwise barren sky, while perhaps coincidental, is the icing on the cake.
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: farbschlurf on August 31, 2018, 11:44:53 am
Simply well done.
+1
Title: Re: In the same vein as 'Not so pretty".
Post by: RMW on September 01, 2018, 09:49:51 am
Thank you all again.
Slobodan, I too see that there can be beauty in sadness. And I appreciate how eloquently you explain it.
Richard
PS- That little cloud was just simple luck, but who am I to turn it down?