Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Asset Management => Topic started by: myotis on August 29, 2018, 02:17:48 pm

Title: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: myotis on August 29, 2018, 02:17:48 pm
It would seem that as 31st August 2018 Media Pro will be discontinued :-(

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/mediapro-discontinue.aspx

Cheers,

Graham
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: syncrasy on August 30, 2018, 12:43:18 pm
A sad day in DAM history. And confounding/frustrating for Media Pro users considering that Phase One never bothered to integrate the most powerful database/catalog features of Media Pro into Capture One before killing MP. Makes one wonder why Phase One even bothered to acquire iView/Expression Media in the first place (8 years ago).
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: macz5024 on August 30, 2018, 04:18:54 pm
DAM...! Really one of the sadest days in my photographic career. The integration of the catalogs into C1 starting with v7 was not a technical improvement but merely a marketing trick to become more competitive against Lightroom.
I hope that somebody will fill this gap. My archives of the last 18 years will not be drowned into Capture One catalogs. :-\
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: drralph on September 12, 2018, 04:52:21 pm
Since the demise of Aperture, I have scouted all the DAM candidates.  I was very interested in the C1 Media Pro system.  After doing my research, it was apparent that Media Pro was not being maintained or updated in a proper fashion.  It comes as no surprise that they have cut it loose.  That realization factored heavily into my decision not to enter the C1 ecosystem.  My transition from Aperture has been extraordinarily painful, and I do not want to repeat the process.

I am interested in what Luminar ends up offering later this year.  But Skylum, as a fledgeling company which might pass from the scene without notice, does not inspire the confidence I need to make such a large investment of time and energy.  I would have to be blown away by their offering to make the switch.  I have learned to accept Lightroom's warts as a DAM, and recognize Adobe as the DAM provider with the strongest prospects for longevity.
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: Walter Rowe on September 15, 2018, 08:47:32 pm
Shame indeed. Media Pro has so much capability. PhaseOne missed a huge opportunity to bring all of it into their catalogs and blow the socks off of Lightroom. Let’s hope we see an update to Capture One that in fact does this (not holding my breath).
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: kevs on December 07, 2018, 10:15:15 pm
Question: Was there ever a 64 bit upgrade for this? If  not, then it's toast in future Mac OS upgrades.
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: kers on December 08, 2018, 09:23:31 am
Question: Was there ever a 64 bit upgrade for this? If  not, then it's toast in future Mac OS upgrades.

Yes - that was the problem- they would have to rewrite the whole program - and understand it ;)     

still i just bought it a month before the end of it     feels they tricked me

there response was: try capture one!    only 400€
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: kevs on December 08, 2018, 11:47:10 am
Pieter, thanks, wow, so pathetic, how much work would that take? Not a lot..

And it's a great software and thousands are using it and  NO ONE, is going to pay from $40 or so to $500 for their overpriced software, they are not even for the same thing.

I have Bridge, but it's too industrial, and  for some of quick stuff Media Pro is so good. Is there something else in that price range as good? (doubt it)

I like Media Pro for fast/ quick loading and does not cache anything.
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on December 09, 2018, 10:09:12 am
It’s a shame there are no good alternatives.  It’s like the world doesn’t care much for dam.  I’m hoping serif hits a home run with their coming dam solution.  I don’t like bridge at all.  I stick to Lightroom for photos and a manual system for other files sadly. 
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: kevs on December 09, 2018, 11:47:37 am
thanks Tony, Bridge is more dam that LR.. but clunkier.  There is photo mechanics, but not super economical as media pro was.  How define dAm?
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: funfoto on December 15, 2018, 12:16:01 pm
I played around/demo Photo Supreme...it's the closest thing yet to Media Pro that I've found.  Will switch to that, once Media Pro no longer functions on my Mac.
Title: Re: Phase One Media Pro discontinued
Post by: syncrasy on December 15, 2018, 01:25:51 pm
I played around/demo Photo Supreme...it's the closest thing yet to Media Pro that I've found.  Will switch to that, once Media Pro no longer functions on my Mac.
Photo Supreme is probably the closest current match to Media Pro for Mac users, but it lacks a web gallery generator. (I rely on Media Pro to maintain hundreds of web galleries.) I'm keeping my eye on Photo Mechanic 6 (now slated for release some time in 2019, with the new catalog component). I'm hoping it will be a better replacement for Media Pro since PM 5 already has a similar web gallery generator. Apple should still support High Sierra (the last MacOS that runs Media Pro) until October 2020, so that gives me some time to consider my options before I have to make a change (assuming my computer keeps working).