Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Martin Kristiansen on August 29, 2018, 06:57:29 am

Title: Not so pretty
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on August 29, 2018, 06:57:29 am
Sometimes what we want to say isn’t pretty so it’s best said with something that isn’t pretty
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 29, 2018, 05:22:20 pm
Very effective.
"Pretty" isn't everything.
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: RMW on August 29, 2018, 08:42:09 pm
Martin.
Thank you for this very un-pretty picture. I think what you've made here is one long overdue responsible account of the world we live in. It's what photography and responsible photographers can do so well, but for me it's far too rare on our LuLa website.
As Eric says, "Pretty isn't everything".
I thank you again.
Richard
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on August 30, 2018, 12:53:48 am
Thank you Richard and Eric. I wasn’t at all sure how this would be received on the forum.
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 30, 2018, 07:12:50 am
Nice one.
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: francois on August 30, 2018, 09:12:16 am
My eyes stay on the lower part of the frame and I can enjoy the smooth curve...
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 30, 2018, 02:22:03 pm
My eyes stay on the lower part of the frame and I can enjoy the smooth curve...

You mean the pretty bit?  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on August 31, 2018, 10:45:51 am
By the way. This is shot on top of a mine dump. More correctly called a tailings dam. I drove around the back of the thing to avoid security and hid my pickup in a dry ditch behind some trees. With gum boots I  managed to climb up it and found this large pool of toxic liquid. Nothing about this place is natural, safe or healthy.
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: francois on August 31, 2018, 11:11:14 am
You mean the pretty bit?  ;)

Jeremy


Right, of course!  :)
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: RMW on August 31, 2018, 01:23:30 pm
Thank you Martin for your courage to risk witnessing what isn't "natural, safe or healthy".
To quote Wendell Berry,"To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival".
Richard
Title: Re: Not so pretty
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on September 01, 2018, 01:54:00 am
Well thanks Richard, although I don’t feel very courageous doing these shots. More depressed really.