Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: KMRennie on August 24, 2018, 09:22:49 am

Title: Dawn at Bamburgh with a new image
Post by: KMRennie on August 24, 2018, 09:22:49 am
This morning's forecast looked good and for once it was correct. Bamburgh on the North East coast of England is one of England's honey-pot locations and 75 miles from my home. This morning it was packed with 2 photographers so a little different from Val d'Orcia. Comments welcome Ken
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: stamper on August 24, 2018, 09:39:47 am
Wonderful.
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 24, 2018, 09:41:14 am
While I like the angle, and love the colors, I don't think the long exposure you used works in this image. Perhaps a longer exposure would have worked," but in the end, a shorter one likely would have been a better choice...at least for my eyes.
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: KMRennie on August 24, 2018, 11:24:08 am
Chris this was 1.3s. I do have a few no filter 0.3s exposure shots and will have a look. This image is about the last that I took as the light was getting a little harsh and it had lost most of its lovely pastel hues. This is the only other photographer there, I don't think that I would like to have to either wait or elbow my way into space but here, even in popular spots it is not needed. I have also visited the Fairy Pools in Skye and met only 2 other photographers so come and join us, but not too many of you. Ken
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 24, 2018, 12:07:37 pm
Just lovely and kind of eternal.
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: KMRennie on August 24, 2018, 03:58:18 pm
0.3s exposure. ie no ND filters. The clouds aren't as colourful as the later version but the middle one looks like a duck.  There is a UK joke about 3 plaster ducks on a wall. Still nice pastel colours that disappeared as soon as the sun lifted above the horizon. A very pleasant day out where the photography was past its best by 06:30. The 2 pastel shots are what I think of as high key although they both have darks that reach to, or close to,  0,0,0. I guess my high key is different from "artistic" high key ;-). Ken
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: AnthonyM on August 25, 2018, 01:42:10 pm
You were well rewarded for your early start.
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 25, 2018, 04:50:47 pm
...a shorter one likely would have been a better choice...at least for my eyes.

I think I find myself agreeing wit Chris here in part at least and preferring the shorter exposure of the second version, for the less cotton wooly effect on the waves and clouds etc, but then again I prefer the first shot for the castle reflection.

But either way, two great shots.

Dave
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 27, 2018, 10:12:38 am
What a great complementary cloud.
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: KMRennie on August 27, 2018, 11:05:09 am
Last one from this location taken at 06:30 probably my favourite. Ken
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh with a new image
Post by: brandtb on August 27, 2018, 12:42:20 pm
Very nice loc/atmosphere and images of it Ken
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 28, 2018, 05:39:41 am
Last one from this location taken at 06:30 probably my favourite. Ken

That's the one Ken  :)

This is not a nitpick, but is what I would have tried to do with this last shot, is to add a little bit more contrast into the reflection of the castle in the wet sand, just to make it stand out a little more.

Ken this is yet another shot of yours, that reminds me of the times I have stood at or near to the place where you have taken a shot, that makes me want to go back immediately and have another go at it.

Excellent work Ken, Bravo!

Dave
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh with a new image
Post by: KMRennie on August 28, 2018, 09:04:13 am
Dave I am in the middle of a soft and soppy mood and have been for most of this year. I have produced a version with a much more pronounced reflection but posted this instead. I will live with the image for a week or two before deciding which I prefer and printing probably on a textured matte paper. Ken
Title: Re: Dawn at Bamburgh with a new image
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on August 28, 2018, 09:45:04 am
 Ken, I'm loving all of them!!