Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: JimAscher on August 09, 2018, 11:55:12 pm
-
I am a black & white photographer who makes his prints with various dilutions of archival carbon ink I mix myself, using primarily an Epson Artisan 1430. In the past, I wanted the option to also be able to make larger prints than the 1430 permits, and for that I years ago acquired an older Epson Stylus Pro 4800. I've been using it on-and-off over the last few years but as it is old I now find it fairly clunky to operate. What newer technology printers -- not necessarily Epson -- would forum members possibly recommend as a replacement for printing larger-sized quality black-and-white photos? Thanks. Jim
-
I replaced my 4800 with the Epson P800, and have been extremely happy with it for B&W prints. No issues, including no clogs, even leaving the printer off for extended periods. It is definitely a newer generation of printer, with better technology.
-
Ps- I use the Colorbyte Image Print program for print profiles, and Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta Satin paper- love the Hahnemuhle Satin!!!
-
If you want to keep using refillables you are pretty much married to Epson.
We use refillables in all of our Epsons except the P800.
If you could find a good used Epson 4880 you can get 350 ml refillables and you would have sheet and roll.
The P800 can take refillables now that they have cracked the chips. You must add the refillable carts and the $395 board to make it work. (Ink Owl)
A max of 30 refills on the board. A lifetime of printing for most.
I also have a P800 still using the oem inks for B&W and the output is stunning especially on lford Prestige Gold Mono Silk.
The best small printer ever in my opinion is the Epson 3880. I still have one churning away with oem ink taken from larger carts in refillables.
If you could find one like new sitting on a shelf somewhere it is easy to convert to your refillable inks. No roll feature is the only drawback.
-
...The P800 can take refillables now that they have cracked the chips. You must add the refillable carts and the $395 board to make it work. (Ink Owl).
A max of 30 refills on the board. A lifetime of printing for most....
Dan: I've checked "Ink Owl" and can find no reference to a $395 board. Am I missing something? Many thanks for your recommendations. Jim
-
Dan: I've checked "Ink Owl" and can find no reference to a $395 board. Am I missing something? Many thanks for your recommendations. Jim
You can also check out InkjetMall.com for the decoder boards: https://shop.inkjetmall.com/
-
Dan: I've checked "Ink Owl" and can find no reference to a $395 board. Am I missing something? Many thanks for your recommendations. Jim
It is there, buried but there.
MY SHOPPING CART
3 ITEM(S) QTYPRICE
Chip Decoder for EPSON SureColor P800
Part Number: IEP-P800DECODER
$ 395.00
Elongated Refillable Cartridge Set for EPSON SureColor P800
Part Number: IEP-SP-P800G
$ 129.95
Standard-Size Refillable Cartridge Set for EPSON SureColor P800
Part Number: IEP-SP-P800
$99.00
-
Dan: Many thanks. Still seems pretty pricey to me. Also, I don't like the fact that if one ink cartridge gets depleted, you have to reset all nine! I guess I'll have to take a pass on this otherwise interesting printer model. Jim