Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Garnick on August 06, 2018, 12:51:20 pm

Title: Marina Sunrise
Post by: Garnick on August 06, 2018, 12:51:20 pm
Yet another sunrise. Perhaps the best part of the day.

Thank you for the replies and comments.  As we all know, sunrises and sunsets are much like snowflakes.  Never two the same.  For two weeks I spent some early morning time at the marina every morning on my way to work, but could not get the shots I wanted.  These two and many more were captured on two consecutive mornings.  No PS work other than the RAW conversion.  Eventually, if you wait long enough, the light will arrive.

And again, many thanks for looking and voicing an opinion.  On some level I agree with Kevins suggestions.  However, my main object of interest those mornings was to capture sunrise skies, hopefully rather dramatic in some respect.  Therefore the rather low horizon.  The boats and other parts of the marina are simply a base for the sky as I saw it.  I believe bringing the horizon up by cropping the sky would defeat my initial purpose.  Also, I too prefer the top image, but I needed a vertical shot for a particular wall and decided to include that one as well.  I probably should have called it quits after the top image.  Critiques are always very helpful.  Seeing through different eyes can sometimes be an "eye opener".

Thanks again   :)       
 

Title: Re: Marina Sunrise
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 07, 2018, 05:21:30 am
#1 for me.
Title: Re: Marina Sunrise
Post by: stamper on August 07, 2018, 06:04:28 am
Both for me.
Title: Re: Marina Sunrise
Post by: francois on August 07, 2018, 06:30:25 am
I like both shots a lot! One with the blue sky and the other with the orange sky, very complementary.
Title: Re: Marina Sunrise
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 07, 2018, 09:37:39 am
The first is my favorite.
Title: Re: Marina Sunrise
Post by: Luis M. Anibarro on August 08, 2018, 04:01:19 am
very nice first shot ;)
Title: Re: Marina Sunrise
Post by: Kevin Raber on August 08, 2018, 07:27:08 am
Garnick, both really nice shots.  However, maybe too much sky.  I thought number one has a nice horz composition but to much sky.  I like the goose and the boats and less sky.  Also, just a bit of shadow recovery may draw the viewer into the subtleties of the boats.  Some cool stuff to explore there.

Number 2 once again too much sky.  Why not compromise and do a square?  Just my two cents