Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on July 29, 2018, 10:27:01 pm

Title: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 29, 2018, 10:27:01 pm
For all the power in those talons that can grab a five pound fish out of the water and do take out, these magnificent raptors are also quite graceful when making a delicate landing on a stubby tree limb.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: churly on July 30, 2018, 06:53:15 pm
Interesting experiment.  Although I definitely like it, I almost think that any of the individual shots, but particularly the last one, might be just as strong by itself.  Not sure.Chuck
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 30, 2018, 09:11:35 pm
Interesting experiment.  Although I definitely like it, I almost think that any of the individual shots, but particularly the last one, might be just as strong by itself.  Not sure.Chuck

Like so?
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 31, 2018, 12:17:39 am
Yes, that's a beauty.
How about showing the rest of them as single images, too?
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 31, 2018, 08:21:05 am
Yes, that's a beauty.
How about showing the rest of them as single images, too?

Ok, the distance between 1 and 4 (already posted) is about 10 feet. What is not seen in any of the 4 shots is there were two branches and he opted for the higher one, thus the scale difference between 1 and 4.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 31, 2018, 08:32:08 am
It's a stunning series, both versions.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 31, 2018, 09:23:26 am
It's a stunning series, both versions.

He did all the work, I just observed and properly notated.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 31, 2018, 02:16:48 pm
He did all the work, I just observed and properly notated.
We'll have to remember you on next National Stenographers Day.   ;)
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Telecaster on July 31, 2018, 04:27:47 pm
I prefer the individual photos to the composite myself. Maybe display 'em triptych style.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: churly on July 31, 2018, 05:32:06 pm
What do you think Chris?
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Arlen on July 31, 2018, 09:33:33 pm
I'm going to go against the grain and vote for the composite. I find it different and interesting.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: AnthonyM on August 01, 2018, 04:27:30 am
Great series, both in composite and individual form.

Probably also useful for an ornithologist wanting to understand osprey flight.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 01, 2018, 08:24:48 am
I'm with Arlen, and it's somewhat obvious in that's what I first posted. These are very powerful raptors with incredible strength in those wings and yet with all that power, there is also a great delicacy in their ability to not just make this kind of landing, but balance themselves for hours whilst, resting, preening or seeking other prey. 

While this is another composite, it shows their graceful side.
Title: Re: Osprey Landing Sequence
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 01, 2018, 08:42:04 am
Another winner.