Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: lerudnick on July 28, 2018, 07:41:04 pm

Title: Colorado in Fall
Post by: lerudnick on July 28, 2018, 07:41:04 pm
My wife and I are going to visit Colorado the last week in September/first week in October. We plan to go to Black Canyon, Garden of the Gods, Great Sand Dunes, Colorado Nat Monument, the Ouray area, and Rocky Mountain Nat Park (not in that order).

Particularly for Black Canyon, Ouray, and Colorado Nat Monument, does anybody have any specific spots they would recommend (for sunrise (if I can get my wife up that early) sunset, or anytime in between.) I think we'll spend about 2-3 days in each location.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: DougDolde on July 28, 2018, 09:11:25 pm
The Dallas Divide and Telluride area are my favorites
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: gkroeger on July 28, 2018, 10:15:58 pm
Like Doug said... Dallas Divide!
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: lerudnick on July 30, 2018, 08:58:46 am
Thank you! I'll take at that area more closely.
Larry
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: gkroeger on July 30, 2018, 01:57:01 pm
The routes you take between you locations matter as well. Between Ouray and RMNP, you can go highway 50 through Grand Junction, which you probably will if you are going to the Colorado National Monument, but you can also turn east at Delta and take highway 133 up through Redstone to Carbondale through the Elk Mountains. The fall color along that route can be spectacular.

Glenn
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: lerudnick on July 30, 2018, 09:24:18 pm
Thanks Glenn, I will take a look at that route. You're right, we were planning to take 50, but we're going to take in the scenery and hopefully get some good images too.
Larry
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: jim t on July 31, 2018, 11:52:44 pm
Garden of the Gods in my opinion is great for one easy day with sunset being the best opportunity to capture a wide scene of the main formations. Doesn't take much time to walk through the entire park.
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: lerudnick on August 04, 2018, 10:22:38 am
Thanks Jim. Garden of the Gods is high on my list. I wasn't sure if sunrise or sunset was best so thanks for the suggestion.
Larry
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: MattBurt on August 04, 2018, 05:54:16 pm
I'm local to the Black Canyon in Gunnison.
There are two main ways to get to it, the North or South rim. The South rim is the main part with the visitor center and it's the most developed. That being said the views are pretty impressive so it's no wonder that is the more popular area. The North rim is more rugged and requires a little more walking, although overlooks are still close to the road. There are also a couple of pretty rugged hiking trails too if you like that kind of thing. For a first visit I recommend the South rim.
There is a popular sunset viewing spot called Sunset overlook that as the name implies faces sunset with a stretch of river heading that way too.
Painted Wall is both a viewing spot and a geological feature that you can see from a few spots. Nice sunrise light can fall on that wall across the canyon. For sunrise the alignment might be better on the North side but the first couple of viewing areas on the South rim are pretty good too.

The sunset spot:
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1730/41752294725_904c3b5431_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/26BvqAr)

Painted Wall (facing west-ish here) diffused light that morning but sometimes it really light the wall up. That is the tallest cliff in Colorado at 2400'.
(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8894/28673321783_b9c1cc728f_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KFLgAX)

Sunrise from the North rim in November
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/584/22075084888_ddd7e0a328_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/zCGzDS)

Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: stevenfr on August 07, 2018, 01:46:25 pm
Looks like extreme to exceptional drought conditions in Colorado and Utah if this map is correct. I wonder how it will impact autumn in Colorado. From past years it usually means the colour doesn't last long and the leaves turn colour early, or no colour at all. Hopefully, monsoons kick in before September.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx (http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx)
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: mkihne on August 07, 2018, 02:30:57 pm
I would suggest the San Juans as others have. Iconic trophy view from the summit of Dallas Divide. Color was unbelievable 2016, somewhat disappointing in 2017. I usually plan my fall trips there around the fall color in the San Juan’s and fill in the other destinations secondarily. Do not forget Last Dollar Road above the airport near Telluride, at least the lower part (Barns, Mnt Wilson, aspens). Also county roads 5,7 and 9 off of 62, esp. CR7. South of Ouray to Silverton(Red Mtn area), nice views from hwy 550 incl. Yankee Girl Mine.

Other possibles include Crystal Mill out of Marble and Maroon Bells if the color is compelling enough to rub elbows with 2 or 3 hundred of your closest friends at sunrise. Martres Vol 3 Photographing  the Southwest, IMO, is a must have investment for the trip you describe. There are easily found on line guides for Colorado color as well.

I found that Garden of the Gods and Black Canyon to not reach my expectations although I did get a fabulous misty canyon photo upon entering the Black Canyon park that was gone in 5 minutes. (Drive by shooting at its best😉). However, Matt’s images of the canyon are among the best I’ve seen. I enjoyed walking through Garden of the Gods more than photographing it. If into abstracts, the Sand Dunes in east central Colorado can drive you crazy(you’ll get plenty of time with your healing brush unless you arrive after a strong wind).

Hope the color treats you well.
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: stevenfr on August 07, 2018, 02:50:59 pm
these images may help to give you a sense for the area

Here are some panoramic images of aspens

https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p65614000 (https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p65614000)

Here are non panoramic images of aspens

https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p352591056 (https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p352591056)

Some autumn mountain images

https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p478462567 (https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p478462567)
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: MattBurt on August 07, 2018, 04:04:02 pm
Looks like extreme to exceptional drought conditions in Colorado and Utah if this map is correct. I wonder how it will impact autumn in Colorado. From past years it usually means the colour doesn't last long and the leaves turn colour early, or no colour at all. Hopefully, monsoons kick in before September.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx (http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx)

That is a distinct possibility. The flowers were early and all at once this year.
I've also been seeing little splashes of yellow in the cottonwoods already.
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: MattBurt on August 07, 2018, 04:12:43 pm
these images may help to give you a sense for the area

Here are some panoramic images of aspens

https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p65614000 (https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p65614000)

Here are non panoramic images of aspens

https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p352591056 (https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p352591056)

Some autumn mountain images

https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p478462567 (https://www.friedmanphoto.com/p478462567)

I recognize a couple of the views in your last link from Kebler Pass. Which reminds me the Crested Butte area isn't a bad place to shoot some photos in the fall either. 

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7390/10079648205_ca19161f26_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/gmGQf2)
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: stevenfr on August 07, 2018, 07:02:50 pm
Matt nice image. Ohio pass, I got a image with a storm at this spot last year.
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: MattBurt on August 08, 2018, 01:10:25 am
Matt nice image. Ohio pass, I got a image with a storm at this spot last year.

Yes, you know your vistas! I just passed through there last night after a real estate gig in the Ohio Creek valley. It's very smoky at the moment.
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/852/42994346715_47cde96eb2_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/28vggnV)
Title: Re: Colorado in Fall
Post by: lerudnick on August 11, 2018, 11:18:05 am
Thanks again to all!. Some great images and excellent suggestions. As for the drought, yes, hopefully I get lucky and it doesn't affect the color tgoo much.

Appreciate all the input.
Larry