Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: andyptak on July 28, 2018, 05:43:24 pm
-
Ever since my last version upgrade, my clone tool - I use just the basic soft circle - produces either too dark or too light cloning. Not at all the same as the source sample. I've tried varying the opacity and it doesn't work too well. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
-
All files, no matter how many layers, mode is set to Normal?
I suppose you could try the old delete preferences standby, can't hurt:
Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.
(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.
-
Thanks. What other preferences will be deleted also? Wondering if I'll shoot myself in the foot. Been there, done that, many times!
-
Thanks. What other preferences will be deleted also? Wondering if I'll shoot myself in the foot. Been there, done that, many times!
You can back up the pref file first but you don’t lose anything that can’t easily be reset in General Preference. But again, is this issue showing up on any document and is blend mode set to Normal etc?
-
Also, have you tried to reset the clone stamp tool. Occasionally I have an issue with a tool, but the reset always seems to get it back on line. And if you have a number of layers below the one you want to work on, make sure the option is set to "Current and Below", and as per Andrew, always "Normal" mode. As far as deleting PS prefs it is a good idea to backup the prefs file and drag it out of the folder. I always do screenshots of all prefs dialogs in case I ever have to delete the prefs or reinstall PS.
Gary
-
Hmmm--the Prefs refresh should correct to the Default settings--I've had the problem mentioned couple of times inadvertently clicking the Multiply/Screen/etc--duhhh!
This is probably not the fix for you at present--but when I use the Clone tool I like Mode setting>Darken (if cloning lighter spots) and >Lighten if same on Darker ones
Hope you can correct your dilemma pronto!
DW
-
The issue is showing up most, but not all of the time on "Normal" . If I am cloning an area with rich detail such as tree leaves etc., it isn't bad at all, but smoother areas such as sky or a stucco wall, are terrible. Light areas tend to clone darker, while dark areas tend to clone lighter. Go figure.
I'm going to try the preferences when I get back to my home machine. I just cringe every time I update software. Something unintended often happens.
-
You may not have reset all the preferences. Take a look at the screenshot below which shows how you can change the blending mode for the tool.
-
Thanks Simon.
I'm on normal, as usual. Choosing "lighten, darken" etc., can do the trick at times - if I'm lucky and get the right luminance. It's a similar effect and concept as adjusting opacity in some instances. Both of these can work on a trial and error basis but aren't reliable and repeatable for a reasonable workflow. And it shouldn't be necessary and wasn't until recently. Cloning source to target at 100% opacity should be identical, end of story. Except on my machine at the moment!
-
Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time.
Instead, just drag the prefs file onto your desktop and then launch Photoshop. It will create a new prefs file with default settings. If that doesn't solve your problem, you can delete the new prefs file and restore the one you saved.
-
Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time.
Ah no, it really isn't.
Instead, just drag the prefs file onto your desktop and then launch Photoshop. It will create a new prefs file with default settings. If that doesn't solve your problem, you can delete the new prefs file and restore the one you saved.
No, you need to drag and then REMOVE the preference file or all you did was copy it to a new location which I also did suggest. Then delete the original, test and if desired, place that desktop copy back over the newly built PS preference file.
May work, may not work but PS and additional Adobe applications have historically had issues with preference files. As someone that did tech support for a Photoshop plug-in, I can't tell you how many times deleting PS preferences fixed dozens of issues; quick and easy and worth a try.
-
Thanks Simon.
I'm on normal, as usual. Choosing "lighten, darken" etc., can do the trick at times - if I'm lucky and get the right luminance. It's a similar effect and concept as adjusting opacity in some instances. Both of these can work on a trial and error basis but aren't reliable and repeatable for a reasonable workflow. And it shouldn't be necessary and wasn't until recently. Cloning source to target at 100% opacity should be identical, end of story. Except on my machine at the moment!
Consider uploading a small file with the layers and the cloning so we can attempt to clone on our systems to see the results.
-
No, you need to drag and then REMOVE the preference file or all you did was copy it to a new location which I also did suggest.
No, that isn't accurate. If you Ctrl-click and drag the prefs file, that will copy the file to the new location as you describe. But if you just click and drag, that does not copy the prefs file. It removes the file from its home directory and moves it to the new location.
If anyone has any doubt about this, try it and see for yourself.
-
Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time.
Ah no, it really isn't.
Once again, you're not reading carefully. I said that restoring all your settings one at a time CAN be a royal pain, not that it IS a royal pain. It just depends on how much customizing you've done to your workspace. Over time it is easy to build up literally scores of custom menus and custom keyboard shortcuts, plus your grouping and arrangement of various panels. If you've done that much customization, it can indeed be a royal pain to restore all of them.
-
Once again, you're not reading carefully. I said that restoring all your settings one at a time CAN be a royal pain, not that it IS a royal pain.
Once again, you're not reading carefully, no, restoring all the preferences is pretty darn easy and when it fixes such potential issues, is a fix.
Just make a screen capture of the General Preferences if you're really mucked around altering them to such a massive degree you can't recall how to set em. OR as I suggested before you arrived, keep a back up if it doesn't.
What is a royal pain is that for some reason, over dozens of years, we have seen Photoshop prefe's get hosed and cause all kinds of issues within the host product.
No, that isn't accurate. If you Ctrl-click and drag the prefs file, that will copy the file to the new location as you describe
Depends on where the preference's reside (which drive) and where you move that file to. In any case, before you arrived, I suggested to the OP he copy the preferences, then told him how to delete them easily upon starting up PS.
-
Just make a screen capture of the General Preferences if you're really mucked around altering them to such a massive degree you can't recall how to set em.
Make A screen capture of the General Preferences? What planet are you on? It would take scores of screen grabs to capture all of the custom menus and keyboard shortcuts that I've made. It's an individual thing, Rodney. You don't possess the Universal Answer to everything. Try being a little less contentious about these things. Delete that chip on your shoulder.
-
Make A screen capture of the General Preferences? What planet are you on? It would take scores of screen grabs to capture all of the custom menus and keyboard shortcuts that I've made. It's an individual thing, Rodney. You don't possess the Universal Answer to everything. Try being a little less contentious about these things.
The planet I'm on is the one where I've been using Photoshop since version 1, been a beta site since 2.5 and have done PS tech support for Pixel Genius for decades. Let me fill you in on some facts don't take my word for it, take Adobe's:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html)
About preferences
In order for Photoshop to run as smoothly as possible, in a way that's customized for your particular workflow, you need to set up your Preferences to your liking.
Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Prefs file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Most of these options are set in the Preferences dialog box. Preference settings are saved each time you quit the application.
Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. If you suspect damage to preferences, restore preferences to their default settings.
Of course and again, all this was outlined before you arrived here.... ;)
-
The planet I'm on is the one where I've been using Photoshop since version 1, been a beta site since 2.5 and have done PS tech support for Pixel Genius for decades. Let me fill you in on some facts don't take my word for it, take Adobe's:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html)
About preferences
In order for Photoshop to run as smoothly as possible, in a way that's customized for your particular workflow, you need to set up your Preferences to your liking.
Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Prefs file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Most of these options are set in the Preferences dialog box. Preference settings are saved each time you quit the application.
Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. If you suspect damage to preferences, restore preferences to their default settings.
Why are you posting all that information? Everyone knows that a damaged preferences file can cause erratic PS behavior. I haven't questioned that fact. And no need to recite your CV to remind everyone that you're a Photoshop expert. We know you are, and your reputation on that score hasn't been challenged. Relax, Rodney. I only questioned your suggestion that ONE screen shot could capture all the customized settings. It can't not by a long shot. Can't you just acknowledge that without flying off on another tangent?
-
It would take scores of screen grabs to capture all of the custom menus and keyboard shortcuts that I've made.
Not after you learn how to save them out, separate from the other preferences....
-
Why are you posting all that information? Everyone knows that a damaged preferences file can cause erratic PS behavior
Speaking for everyone now? Just speak for yourself sir.
And no need to recite your CV to remind everyone that you're a Photoshop expert. We know you are, and your reputation on that score hasn't been challenged. Relax, Rodney.
Speaking for everyone now? Just speak for yourself sir.
Your assumptions I'm not relaxed is equally incorrect. ;)
-
Op, it would be good to know if you are working on a single layer file or multi layered file. If multi layered, I suspect you might want to check the settings of your eyedropper tool. You may be doubling up the effect of adjustment layers.
-
"Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time".
If you refer back to reply #4 you will see that I suggested taking screenshots of all of the prefs dialogs/groups. If you were to do that it would require very little time to reset the prefs you need while referring to the screenshot for that particular group. Total screenshots = 10, that simple. I don't know why you seem to think it's such a pain to reset a few prefs that might not coincide with the fresh prefs you have created by deleting the former set. If the fresh prefs do actually solve the issue, is it not worth a few minutes of your time?
Gary
-
"Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time".
If you refer back to reply #4 you will see that I suggested taking screenshots of all of the prefs dialogs/groups. If you were to do that it would require very little time to reset the prefs you need while referring to the screenshot for that particular group. Total screenshots = 10, that simple.
No, it isn't quite that simple. Look under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.
- There are 10 Application Menus, each of which has flyout menus that require at least two screen shots to capture them.
- Then there are 22 Panel Menus, each of which opens to lengthy sub-menus too large to capture with a single screen shot.
- Then there is a list of 84 tools, also requiring several screen shots.
Those are the custom settings I was referring to. If you wanted to take screen shots of those, it could require considerably more than 10. And if you rashly deleted your prefs , it could take hours to restore them all one by one. That was my only point. Just don't delete prefs without planning ahead.
If the fresh prefs do actually solve the issue, is it not worth a few minutes of your time?
Of course! I've never suggested anything to the contrary.
-
No, it isn't quite that simple. Look under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.
You were told how to deal with that.
You were told how to keep track of preferences to reset which isn't a big deal (expect possibly for you).
The OP's preferences may or may not be corrupted. You missed the post where he was asked to run some tests prior to deleting preferences but even if he does, it's not a big deal to reset them AND, if the preference ARE corrupted, the ONLY fix is to rebuild them as Adobe clearly shows in the data I provided.
Again, since you're making this far more difficult than it really is: there are ways to save off preferences before corruption. I showed you how. There are ways to jot down the specific settings that you yourself might forget to set (the horror, the horror), but the bottom line is this, if they are corrupted, and that's rather common, then there's only one fix. Delete them.
NOW that you know the facts and it's so awful for you to consider rebuilding preferences from memory or even screen captures, maybe you will consider backing up ALL the various preferences files when Photoshop is running sound so that if they get corrupted, all you have to do is deal with reinstalling that back up. And if you're lucky to be on a Mac running Time Machine, that is easy to do after the fact if you don't follow sound advise and back them up before they may get corrupted.
Now can we move aside from your hijack of this tread and let some of us go back to aiding the OP to see how he can get the clone tool fixed?
-
Now can we move aside from your hijack of this tread and let some of us go back to aiding the OP to see how he can get the clone tool fixed?
I haven't hijacked anything. Except for my initial post, I replied to you and Garnick. Don't get hysterical.
-
I haven't hijacked anything. Except for my initial post, I replied to you and Garnick. Don't get hysterical.
If you're working on a Mac I can show you where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs are stored. I'm not familiar with their exact location on a PC, but I'm sure someone would be able to direct you. Let me know.
Gary
-
I haven't hijacked anything. Except for my initial post, I replied to you and Garnick. Don't get hysterical.
I'm not at all hysterical, you're assuming again.
Next, the facts surrounding preferences, how to delete them and why, and how what you state would be lost (wrong) was provided.
Lastly, since you feel it's such an egregious horror to have to reset all YOUR preferences, you've been shown how to back them up.
-
I'm not at all hysterical, you're assuming again.
Next, the facts surrounding preferences, how to delete them and why, and how what you state would be lost (wrong) was provided.
Lastly, since you feel it's such an egregious horror to have to reset all YOUR preferences, you've been shown how to back them up.
You're awesome.
-
You're awesome.
:-*
-
If you're working on a Mac I can show you where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs are stored. I'm not familiar with their exact location on a PC, but I'm sure someone would be able to direct you. Let me know.
Gary
Thank you. I use a PC (Win7 Pro). In case others want to know, the keyboard shortcuts file resides here:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Keyboard Shortcuts.psp
-
Thank you. I use a PC (Win7 Pro). In case others want to know, the keyboard shortcuts file resides here:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Keyboard Shortcuts.psp
[/quote
OK, you know where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs reside, basically the same path as on the Mac. What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new. As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.
Gary
-
What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new. As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.
Gary
Exactly!
-
OK, you know where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs reside, basically the same path as on the Mac. What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new. As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.
Gary
I don't believe that. I was merely cautioning the OP against rashly deleting the prefs file without thinking ahead. TO REPEAT:
And if you rashly deleted your prefs[i.e., without planning ahead] , it could take hours to restore them all one by one. That was my only point. Just don't delete prefs without planning ahead.
If that doesn't answer your question, you'll have to struggle on your own. I am done with this thread and you trolls.
-
What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new. As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.
Gary
And then:I don't believe that. I was merely cautioning the OP against rashly deleting the prefs file without thinking ahead.
You don't believe that yet you wrote:
And if you rashly deleted your prefs , it could take hours to restore them all one by one.
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
So long. :o
-
"If that doesn't answer your question, you'll have to struggle on your own. I am done with this thread and you trolls".
Well Andrew, I have to admit that now I'm 'stumped'. I have no idea what this person is referring to, and how I now find myself in the valley of the trolls. I thought I had made it perfectly clear that I am in no way involved in a struggle as far as the KBS Prefs are concerned, and how to back them up and then reuse them after the PS Prefs have been reset. Obviously he or she has no idea what I was talking about and likely never will. I don't know if he/she is indeed "done with this thread". What I do know is that I am. At this juncture it's simply not worth my time. If there is indeed a troll among us it is neither you nor me, so that leaves one other.
Gary
-
"If that doesn't answer your question, you'll have to struggle on your own. I am done with this thread and you trolls".
Well Andrew, I have to admit that now I'm 'stumped'. I have no idea what this person is referring to, and how I now find myself in the valley of the trolls. I thought I had made it perfectly clear that I am in no way involved in a struggle as far as the KBS Prefs are concerned, and how to back them up and then reuse them after the PS Prefs have been reset. Obviously he or she has no idea what I was talking about and likely never will. I don't know if he/she is indeed "done with this thread". What I do know is that I am. At this juncture it's simply not worth my time. If there is indeed a troll among us it is neither you nor me, so that leaves one other.
Gary
I agree but would still like to stick around for the OP and figure out his issue and a fix.
-
Well I suppose I will probably check in occasionally and take a peek. Oh Oh! I guess that puts me in the troll camp. Do I sound worried? ;)
Gary