Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on July 26, 2018, 07:04:18 am

Title: High Roller
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 26, 2018, 07:04:18 am
Sometimes I like to revisit the feel of B&W and other times, feel the color tells a better story. Not sure in this image.
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: Brad Smith on July 26, 2018, 07:56:41 am
I prefer the B&W where the different boats are more clearly the main subject. High Roller is the title of the image and is ~in the middle where the name stands out. The more colored features in the color version seem to draw the viewer's eye to less important parts of the image--yellow mooring and line markers, etc.
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 26, 2018, 09:21:40 am
I prefer the B&W where the different boats are more clearly the main subject. High Roller is the title of the image and is ~in the middle where the name stands out. The more colored features in the color version seem to draw the viewer's eye to less important parts of the image--yellow mooring and line markers, etc.
I agree.
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 26, 2018, 10:27:39 am
I prefer the colour one. With the boats and water, I like to see the blues.
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: RSL on July 26, 2018, 12:33:17 pm
I think it depends on what you're after, Chris. The color shot is a very well done tourist shot. The B&W concentrates on the boats and is closer to a work of art. I like 'em both.
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 26, 2018, 12:57:38 pm
I think it depends on what you're after, Chris. The color shot is a very well done tourist shot. The B&W concentrates on the boats and is closer to a work of art. I like 'em both.

This is precisely why I too lean more toward the B&W. I wanted a more "artsy-fartsy" look to the scene.
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 26, 2018, 02:14:13 pm
I think it depends on what you're after, Chris. The color shot is a very well done tourist shot. The B&W concentrates on the boats and is closer to a work of art. I like 'em both.

My thoughts exactly. A snapshot against a photograph.

Jeremy
Title: Re: High Roller
Post by: francois on July 27, 2018, 04:10:23 am
I would go B&W with this shot for the very same reasons RSL wrote above.