Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: guido on July 21, 2018, 04:52:27 pm

Title: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: guido on July 21, 2018, 04:52:27 pm
.
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 23, 2018, 07:09:13 am
I like them, seems like a good place for photography.
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 23, 2018, 09:00:14 am
My favorite is the first. I like the B&W, but the subtle colors seem to add something.
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: guido on July 23, 2018, 09:59:02 am
My favorite is the first. I like the B&W, but the subtle colors seem to add something.

I'm glad you like them! I like both versions of the DS shot. Interesting your color selection, you generally prefer the B&W versions... The IR was at a disadvantage as the stream breeze was quite strong making it difficult to get correct shutter speed for the water and not having the foliage totally blur out... Oh well...
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 23, 2018, 11:16:02 am
Worth trying again on a less-windy day.
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: guido on July 23, 2018, 11:20:37 am
Worth trying again on a less-windy day.

It was completely sill up from the rivers edge. The temperature difference between the cold water and the warmer land often results in a leaf bouncing breeze... The steep walls of the gorge make it stronger...
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: Alskoj on July 25, 2018, 07:26:02 am
Beautiful scene!  When shooting landscapes is it ok to clean up the scene?  The two sticks that are collecting foam at the bottom of the image may or may not be distracting.  Is it ok to remove them?  Or shoot two versions of the scene - one with one without?
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 25, 2018, 08:49:36 am
Beautiful scene!  When shooting landscapes is it ok to clean up the scene?  The two sticks that are collecting foam at the bottom of the image may or may not be distracting.  Is it ok to remove them?  Or shoot two versions of the scene - one with one without?
If it were my shot, I would clone out the offending sticks. That's because I'm interested in artistic vision rather than reportage. Thta is up to the photographer (and his/her conscience.)
Title: Re: Three views of Doane Falls
Post by: guido on July 25, 2018, 09:52:21 am
I'm on the fence about this. In a context where the texture and detail of the natural environment are integral to the image I leave it. In a context where it throws off a simpler cleaner composition I am more likely to give in the to neatness urge. But the urge to accept life's imperfection and decay is there too. Interesting stuff to think about...