Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on July 16, 2018, 01:05:07 pm

Title: Sunday drive
Post by: MattBurt on July 16, 2018, 01:05:07 pm
I was recovering from a bad gout attack in my foot (ouch!) over the weekend so no hiking or cycling for me. Instead I went for a nice backcountry drive Sunday morning. I went from Gunnison to the unpaved Ohio Pass to Kebler Pass which brought me back to the pavement of Crested Butte. From there I headed back to the dirt, up Washington Gulch to Paradise Divide and then looping back on Schofield Pass through Gothic and back to Crested Butte, taking the highway back home from there. Beautiful morning with clouds and a little rain (!) for a change was really nice.

Ohio Creek Valley and the Anthracite range. I climbed to the top if that highest point a couple of weeks ago. Good skiing up there too!
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1822/41642006140_4999535def_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/26rLaD7)

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/920/41642007810_c2046b795a_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/26rLb8U)

Looking back down the Washington Gulch valley at Mt. Crested Butte and Mt. Whetstone
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/845/29556558998_51070f0b0c_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/M2P6fN)

Paradise Divide (starting to rain a little)
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1826/41619481910_2bcee928d2_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/26pLHYj)

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/843/29556561088_e0c1d59a95_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/M2P6SQ)

Schofield Pass heading back toward Gothic. Mt. Avery is the prominent red one.
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/839/42733759794_0e619a9279_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/287eFXY)
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: sdwilsonsct on July 16, 2018, 01:50:29 pm
Very nice, Matt. Hope the foot gets better soon.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: guido on July 16, 2018, 03:53:14 pm
Lovely series! Beautiful!
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 17, 2018, 04:43:52 am
Nice country side.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 17, 2018, 08:22:46 am
Call me crazy (and more than a few, do) but I used to have massive gout attacks until this nice old Japanese lady in my Aikido class gave me a recipe for a simple, inexpensive cure. Since I've been on this regimen, I've not had a gout attack in 11 years.

This recipe must be followed religiously or it doesn't work. My own doctor uses it and printed it out for his gout patients.

1/2 of a lemon in 6 ounces of water on an empty stomach 1/2 hour before breakfast and at least two hours after your last meal at night. Be sure to rinse your teeth thoroughly to avoid any acid etching of the enamel.

Do this for one month then drop to once a day for a month, then once every other day for two weeks, and lastly, I do it every time I eat anything high in purine: shellfish, red meat, beans the next morning and generally for prophylactic purposes, I do it at least twice a week.

As to the photos, I feel there is too much of a bluish color cast in the first one mostly though I think all of them suffer the same plight.

Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: MattBurt on July 17, 2018, 01:37:32 pm
Call me crazy (and more than a few, do) but I used to have massive gout attacks until this nice old Japanese lady in my Aikido class gave me a recipe for a simple, inexpensive cure. Since I've been on this regimen, I've not had a gout attack in 11 years.

This recipe must be followed religiously or it doesn't work. My own doctor uses it and printed it out for his gout patients.

1/2 of a lemon in 6 ounces of water on an empty stomach 1/2 hour before breakfast and at least two hours after your last meal at night. Be sure to rinse your teeth thoroughly to avoid any acid etching of the enamel.

Do this for one month then drop to once a day for a month, then once every other day for two weeks, and lastly, I do it every time I eat anything high in purine: shellfish, red meat, beans the next morning and generally for prophylactic purposes, I do it at least twice a week.

As to the photos, I feel there is too much of a bluish color cast in the first one mostly though I think all of them suffer the same plight.

Thanks. I'm on a new course of treatment that I need to give a fair shake before trying anything else, but this does sound interesting. Maybe if what I'm doing now doesn't work, I'll give it a try. What I'm doing now has worked very well for my older brother so I'm hopeful. Maybe one day I can drink beer again too.

As for the blue cast, I have not calibrated my monitor lately. Maybe it's drifted out of calibration.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 17, 2018, 01:50:42 pm
The second one is my favourite.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 18, 2018, 04:18:18 am
The second one is my favourite.

Agreed. I like the b&w too, but I'd like it more if the reflection included the top of the tree.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 18, 2018, 08:42:51 am
Sorry Matt, but beer and all other alcohols are going to be off your dance card, likely for life. Distilled alcohol is a major trigger and while it might not get you the first few times you have a brew, I can assure you when it decides to do its payback, it's worse than you've ever had it before and for me I think it took a small grove of lemons to finally make go away. Lemons are far less abusive to your liver, bladder and kidneys as Allupruinol, Colchicine, or Indomethacin. Watch your diet and do your best to avoid those foods high in purines and you'll be fine.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: HSakols on July 18, 2018, 11:45:18 am
Beautiful!  Hope you get better soon.  Also good to see that Colorado is not in flames. 
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: MattBurt on July 18, 2018, 02:52:20 pm
Thanks for the comments and well-wishes!
That outbreak is behind me now and I got to go for a post-thunderstorm mountain bike ride last night which was beautiful and some great mental health therapy for me.
I'm taking this as it goes and I guess if I have to quit drinking for good at least I can be happy I live in Colorado.  8)

I calibrated my editing monitor last night but it looks like it didn't change much.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Hans Kruse on July 18, 2018, 04:17:52 pm
I'm not suggesting cures, only photography works great :) Nice series and have a nice recovery.
Title: Re: Sunday drive
Post by: Rayyan on July 19, 2018, 11:15:33 am

I like the beautiful variety in these images.
And, of course, my well wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hang loose.