Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on June 24, 2018, 05:18:41 am

Title: A bed for the night
Post by: stamper on June 24, 2018, 05:18:41 am
Comments please
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 24, 2018, 08:28:21 am
Now that is sad, and poignant.
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: petermfiore on June 24, 2018, 08:39:05 am
Now that is sad, and poignant.

+1  For me it goes beyond sad into morose and somewhat beyond. A very Powerful picture.

Peter
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: Rob C on June 24, 2018, 09:06:27 am
Did you open the "package"?

:-)
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: JNB_Rare on June 24, 2018, 09:10:51 am
Now that is sad, and poignant.

I agree. However, I wonder about the B&W treatment, which seems flat and busy to me. I might try to darken the foliage a lot, the mattress a touch, and lighten the sleeping bag a bit, to provide different tonal levels that draw the eye toward the centre. I'd also try reducing the clarity of the foliage and really working the contrast inherent in the sleeping bag.
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: Rob C on June 24, 2018, 10:36:46 am
I agree. However, I wonder about the B&W treatment, which seems flat and busy to me. I might try to darken the foliage a lot, the mattress a touch, and lighten the sleeping bag a bit, to provide different tonal levels that draw the eye toward the centre. I'd also try reducing the clarity of the foliage and really working the contrast inherent in the sleeping bag.


Whilst I usually avoid passing remarks on other people's pix, regardless of invitation, I feel compelled to add that it's all too sharp, devoid of atmosphere; clinical. As it is, a good opportunity that can still be saved in PS.

Also, annoyingly, I can't look at it as a complete image (on the iPad) without scrolling, which is a killer for picture integrity. A big one isn't often better than a smaller one. Lots of people seem to disagree, and ruin my viewing of their work by posting too big.

Sorry...
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: 32BT on June 24, 2018, 11:49:23 am

Also, annoyingly, I can't look at it as a complete image (on the iPad) without scrolling, which is a killer for picture integrity. A big one isn't often better than a smaller one. Lots of people seem to disagree, and ruin my viewing of their work by posting too big.

Sorry...

Tap and hold the thumbnail, then select "open in new tab" or some equivalent option. Not ideal, but still better than scrolling
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: Telecaster on June 24, 2018, 04:25:17 pm
I post bigger than I used to 'cuz it forces browsers (mine anyway) to open the pics in a separate window. Don't like dragging images side to side to see 'em, though the separate window does often mean scrolling up & down. No ideal approach.

-Dave-
Title: Re: A bed for the night
Post by: stamper on June 25, 2018, 03:27:35 am
Thanks for the feedback, food for thought.