Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Jswanson on May 29, 2018, 05:07:37 pm

Title: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: Jswanson on May 29, 2018, 05:07:37 pm
 Ross Island Antarctica Sunday morning 5/27/2018 we had clear skies and the Milky Way heart. A short hike from McMurdo Station to the Discovery Hut, the hut Robert F. Scott and crew built during their 1901-1904 Discovery Expedition. In the background to the left is the cross placed in memory of George T Vince.
Was a great morning to star gaze and capturing images. Towards the end of capturing the scene the winds started to pick up and the clear skies went back to overcast.

 Thank you for looking I welcome any C&C, questions etc.

Cheers,
Josh


Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: Farmer on May 29, 2018, 06:12:34 pm
It looks quite alien, which I think is ideal.  Your treatment is fantastic.  The overall tone and the composition, really showing something in a way we don't normally see it.  Great shot.
Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: Jswanson on May 29, 2018, 09:52:33 pm
It looks quite alien, which I think is ideal.  Your treatment is fantastic.  The overall tone and the composition, really showing something in a way we don't normally see it.  Great shot.

 Thank you very much for taking the time to give thoughts, very much appreciated and glad you enjoy it!
Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 30, 2018, 03:57:42 am
Beautiful.
Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: framah on May 30, 2018, 09:56:36 am
Really great shot!!

I know this might sound stupid but, where did all of that wood come from?

Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 30, 2018, 03:51:59 pm
Very nice. Is the illumination from moonlight?
Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: Telecaster on May 30, 2018, 04:27:25 pm
I know this might sound stupid but, where did all of that wood come from?

The expedition brought the hut with them.  :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Robert F Scott's Discovery Hut
Post by: Jswanson on May 30, 2018, 05:10:42 pm
Really great shot!!

I know this might sound stupid but, where did all of that wood come from?

  Good question, best I can tell the building was purchased in Australia. Built then disassembled to go on the ship, then assembled in it's current location.