Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: ronno on October 07, 2006, 09:43:15 pm

Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: ronno on October 07, 2006, 09:43:15 pm
Has anyone handled this lens yet, or seen sample images shot with it? (I know it is not yet available in stores...)
Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: eronald on October 13, 2006, 12:25:24 pm
Quote
Has anyone handled this lens yet, or seen sample images shot with it? (I know it is not yet available in stores...)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I grabbed a 50 at a demo yesterday, shooting for a comparison against a aLeaf back, and then realised later I'd used the famous 1.2 in MF mode - it's sharp and focuses manually very accurately.

Edmund
Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: ronno on March 30, 2007, 09:01:57 pm
Quote
Has anyone handled this lens yet, or seen sample images shot with it? (I know it is not yet available in stores...)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Has anyone here used this lens extensively yet? Comments??
Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: Ken Tanaka on March 30, 2007, 11:48:19 pm
Quote
Has anyone here used this lens extensively yet? Comments??
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=109768\")

You might find [a href=\"http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/canon50f12/canon50f12_jt.htm]this SLR Gear report[/url] interesting.  Personally, I've chosen to pass on this lens.
Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: Paul Kay on March 31, 2007, 01:02:07 pm
I've had one for a couple of months. Superb lens! I've used it wide open and well stopped down and it produces perfectly good images at all apertures. I use it on both FF and 1.6x crop cameras. If you need to use a very fast 50mm lens then I can recommend it. If you don't need the speed then perhaps its not so viable as it isn't cheap. I've switched from a variety of Canon's lenses (fixed focal and zooms) to their 'L' series fast fixed focals and the 50/1.2 is well up to the others in its image quality.
Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: augg on March 31, 2007, 02:10:36 pm
I bought the 85mm 1.2 a year or two ago and just fell in love with it. I recently picked up the 50 1.2 and just as I hoped, its just like the 85 1.2 but with faster focus. Great lens. I like them so much I recently went all the way and got the 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4 and the 135mm 2. I'm loving the fast primes after shooting with the L series zooms for years.

dan
Title: Canon 50 1.2 USM
Post by: Nill Toulme on March 31, 2007, 09:27:29 pm
I use it for high school basketball in poorly lit gyms.  It focuses faster and more accurately than the 85 f/1.8 in that context, which means it's miles ahead of the 50 f/1.4.  I really like it.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net (http://www.toulme.net)