Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on May 03, 2018, 04:14:38 pm

Title: Another try
Post by: RSL on May 03, 2018, 04:14:38 pm
Trunk Study
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 03, 2018, 04:22:32 pm
IMHO, better when straight: Then consider burning down the bkgnd on the right side.....
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: petermfiore on May 03, 2018, 05:13:36 pm
IMHO, better when straight: Then consider burning down the bkgnd on the right side.....

No...The space behind the tree in now leaning. Trees lean and Russ's original works wonderfully.

Peter
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: petermfiore on May 03, 2018, 05:14:37 pm
Trunk Study

Russ,

Paint worthy...

Peter
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: pegelli on May 03, 2018, 05:17:02 pm
No...The space behind the tree in now leaning. Trees lean and Russ's original works wonderfully.

Peter
+1, especially a slanted water surface in the background looks very strange to me in the "straight tree" version. I don't mind it leaning at all, old trees do lean and I really like the crisp textures and lines on the bark.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: RSL on May 03, 2018, 07:50:28 pm
Russ,

Paint worthy...

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I thought so too, but I'm not a painter. At one time I drew and made woodcuts but I've never been much good with a brush. That was my brother, who actually was a pharmacist but sold a bunch of his paintings.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 02:46:22 am
The picture has a lot of sparkle and depth. Very nice...no need to straighten the trunk.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 02:48:33 am
IMHO, better when straight: Then consider burning down the bkgnd on the right side.....

No. Russ has it right.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 04, 2018, 08:46:09 am
I'm reminded of a thread here a few years back in which somebody complained about telephone poles in an image not being perfectly vertical.

I was astonished, as here in the Boston area I would defy anyone to find a telephone pole that is close to vertical. 5 to 10 degrees out is common, with the wires to the next pole keeping the pole from falling.

Our trees are a bit better behaved, but they certainly respond to wind and light, so they are seldom straight up.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: petermfiore on May 04, 2018, 08:47:42 am
I'm reminded of a thread here a few years back in which somebody complained about telephone poles in an image not being perfectly vertical.

I was astonished, as here in the Boston area I would defy anyone to find a telephone pole that is close to vertical. 5 to 10 degrees out is common, with the wires to the next pole keeping the pole from falling.

Our trees are a bit better behaved, but they certainly respond to wind and light, so they are seldom straight up.

+1

Peter
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: RSL on May 04, 2018, 09:45:10 am
IMHO, better when straight: Then consider burning down the bkgnd on the right side.....

Andrew, were I to burn down the bkgnd on the right side I'd be arrested and go to jail.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 09:49:42 am
I'm reminded of a thread here a few years back in which somebody complained about telephone poles in an image not being perfectly vertical.

I was astonished, as here in the Boston area I would defy anyone to find a telephone pole that is close to vertical. 5 to 10 degrees out is common, with the wires to the next pole keeping the pole from falling.

Our trees are a bit better behaved, but they certainly respond to wind and light, so they are seldom straight up.

That's a fact, Eric. I lived in and around Boston for 21 years. The poles are more perpendicular in Kansas. ... Now I'm thinking of Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman."
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 09:51:36 am
Andrew, were I to burn down the bkgnd on the right side I'd be arrested and go to jail.

Perhaps Andrew hasn't spent a lot of time in Florida. ... I think you captured the light as true as possible.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 10:42:30 am
Perhaps Andrew hasn't spent a lot of time in Florida. ... I think you captured the light as true as possible.
Sigh... it isn't about 'truth' but composition! Not that composition has anything to do with photography.... :o
https://photographyicon.com/line/
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 10:44:50 am
Andrew, were I to burn down the bkgnd on the right side I'd be arrested and go to jail.
This may improve some snapshots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsyS2Gd9lY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsyS2Gd9lY)
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 10:48:33 am
This may improve some snapshots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsyS2Gd9lY

Andrew, you're a technician, period. And, there's nothing wrong with that. Please let sleeping dogs lie.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: RSL on May 04, 2018, 10:48:48 am
I've been dodging and burning since 1943 Andrew. It ain't as easy in the darkroom as it is in Photoshop. But to be more specific, that picture doesn't need dodging and it certainly doesn't need burning.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 10:49:44 am
Andrew, you're a technician, period. And, there's nothing wrong with that. Please let sleeping dogs lie.
That's wrong.
Want to trade photography client lists?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/digitaldog/ (https://www.linkedin.com/in/digitaldog/)
Scroll down bud.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 10:50:14 am
I've been dodging and burning since 1943 Andrew.
How many times were you arrested doing so?  :o
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: RSL on May 04, 2018, 10:51:54 am
Never, Andrew. I did it secretly in my darkroom. No one knew.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 10:53:28 am
That's wrong.
Want to trade photography client lists?

Andrew, your arrogance is noteworthy. Let sleeping dogs lie. It's okay to not have the last word, really.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 10:55:10 am
Andrew, your arrogance is noteworthy. Let sleeping dogs lie. It's okay to not have the last word, really.
Seems you don't want to show us your professional photography client list AFTER your incorrect implication: Andrew, you're a technician, period.
It's OK to be an amateur. It's not OK to make incorrect implications.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: BobDavid on May 04, 2018, 11:50:51 am
Seems you don't want to show us your professional photography client list AFTER your incorrect implication: Andrew, you're a technician, period.
It's OK to be an amateur. It's not OK to make incorrect implications.

I'm quiet about my accomplishments. Let's see if you get the last word. Odds are 9 to 1 you will.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 12:07:17 pm
I'm quiet about my accomplishments.
What accomplishments? If you've only imagined it, you haven't experienced it.
Quote
Andrew, you're a technician, period.
What do we own people such as yourself, who are wrong? Correction and well deserved embarrassment.
I guess you've never made images professionally like I did, and hence, no matter who gets in the last word, you're an amateur which is fine. But your statement about me is utterly incorrect.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Ivo_B on May 04, 2018, 12:37:58 pm
I'm reminded of a thread here a few years back in which somebody complained about telephone poles in an image not being perfectly vertical.

I was astonished, as here in the Boston area I would defy anyone to find a telephone pole that is close to vertical. 5 to 10 degrees out is common, with the wires to the next pole keeping the pole from falling.

Our trees are a bit better behaved, but they certainly respond to wind and light, so they are seldom straight up.

Interesting.

Some years ago I spend time to photograph the proliferation of Coke Machines. Just as telephone poles, it is very hard to find a level Coke machine. They are all slant on one or another way.

Coke machines (https://flic.kr/s/aHsjBeBVmA)


Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 12:46:52 pm
Interesting.

Some years ago I spend time to photograph the proliferation of Coke Machines. Just as telephone poles, it is very hard to find a level Coke machine. They are all slant on one or another way.
But not hard, IF so desired, to straighten just the machine. Like the original, this version is (for some reason) untagged.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Ivo_B on May 04, 2018, 12:57:08 pm
Like the original, this version is (for some reason) untagged.

How do you mean, Andrew? (sorry English is not my native language)
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 01:02:43 pm
How do you mean, Andrew? (sorry English is not my native language)
No embedded ICC profile. An issue with .png's. Probably sRGB?
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Ivo_B on May 04, 2018, 01:07:13 pm
No embedded ICC profile. An issue with .png's. Probably sRGB?

O, I see, I quickly downloaded the photo from my Flickr portfolio. I never share High quality image files on the net.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 01:09:03 pm
O, I see, I quickly downloaded the photo from my Flickr portfolio. I never share High quality image files on the net.
That's fine and a good idea. You might examine if you can download a JPEG which does support embedded profiles. That way, those viewing the image on color managed browsers, especially those of us on wide gamut displays, will see a much 'better' preview of your image. .png doesn't support embedded profiles.
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Ivo_B on May 04, 2018, 01:18:34 pm
That's fine and a good idea. You might examine if you can download a JPEG which does support embedded profiles. That way, those viewing the image on color managed browsers, especially those of us on wide gamut displays, will see a much 'better' preview of your image. .png doesn't support embedded profiles.

True.
As said, I don't share quality image files on the net. I stopped sharing good quality jpegs with embedded profile, You can not imagine the discussion I had with folks looking at there 9000Kelvin screen and accusing me to post untruthful color image. Before you know, you frustratedly slam your fancy Apple wireless keyboard into your full calibrated wide gamut monitor...  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 01:25:45 pm
You can not imagine the discussion I had with folks looking at there 9000Kelvin screen and accusing me to post untruthful color image.
Oh I can, the degree of nonsense about color management (and photography) in many on-line forums is often over the top.  ;D
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 04, 2018, 02:43:07 pm
BobDavid and Andrew, stop it. Argue about aesthetics, if you like, but if you want to abuse each other (or indeed yourselves), do it in private.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 04, 2018, 02:44:05 pm
Never, Andrew. I did it secretly in my darkroom. No one knew.

But you've let the cat out of the bag now, Russ. You should await the knock on the door, if you lived in England where Plod has nothing better to do.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Another try
Post by: digitaldog on May 04, 2018, 02:48:49 pm
BobDavid and Andrew, stop it. Argue about aesthetics, if you like, but if you want to abuse each other (or indeed yourselves), do it in private.
As you can see in post #2, I stated IMHO, the aesthetics of one image.
As to abuse, I think it's rather one sided:
Quote
Andrew, you're a technician, period.
Andrew, your arrogance is noteworthy.
I was simply providing the facts to dismiss the first line of 'abuse'. The 2nd doesn't deserve comment but maybe some moderation if I (or you, or others) felt it was required; I personally don't as it was a silly statement and as you know from the past, I believe that short of yelling "fire" in a crowed theater, moderation isn't appropriate.