Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: pcgpcg on April 27, 2018, 10:54:21 pm

Title: Too good to be true
Post by: pcgpcg on April 27, 2018, 10:54:21 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/04/27/stuffed-anteater-picture-wins-competition-before-british-natural-history-museum-organizers-realize-its-staged/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9e6bf698c66c
Title: Re: Too good to be true
Post by: LesPalenik on April 27, 2018, 11:17:53 pm
Anteater is a rather unusual find, but there are photographers who find working with the carcasses more gratifying than stalking live animals.

(https://creators-images.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/no-slug/cf4305e8fac64ac0595d073099a7cd14.jpg)

https://creators.vice.com/en_us/article/4xq88j/roadkill-still-life-artist
Title: Re: Too good to be true
Post by: JoeKitchen on April 28, 2018, 07:32:49 am
Anteater is a rather unusual find, but there are photographers who find working with the carcasses more gratifying than stalking live animals.

(https://creators-images.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/no-slug/cf4305e8fac64ac0595d073099a7cd14.jpg)

https://creators.vice.com/en_us/article/4xq88j/roadkill-still-life-artist

Well she is a taxidermist, which takes a special kind of person I guess.  So it kind of makes sense. 

When I use to be a teacher, I had a student who really wanted to be a mortician.  Use to come in and give us facts on undertaking.  Good thing she was not interested in photography as well. 
Title: Re: Too good to be true
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 28, 2018, 09:33:12 am
... a taxidermist, which takes a special kind of person I guess...

Norman Bates?
Title: Re: Too good to be true
Post by: Rob C on April 29, 2018, 03:56:26 pm
Norman Bates?


Is incest allowed in taxidermy? Or only in embalming?

Luckily, we don't all have to live in such an ugly house; home is where the heart is, I suppose, so it follows he'd have odd hobbies. Of all the stuffing options open to him, I guess he picked the wrong one, or just had an aversion to running water, silly boy.

I wonder why it's referred to as running water, when water is patently legless? Imagine having to learn English as an adult! It could drive one insane. Maybe Mr Bates was an immigrant.
Title: Re: Too good to be true
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 30, 2018, 02:54:32 pm
Anteater is a rather unusual find, but there are photographers who find working with the carcasses more gratifying than stalking live animals.

Years ago I used to submit images to the nature category competition of a small camera club, only to have them disqualified because the subject was dead. "It's not dead", said I, "just pining for the ..."
Well, OK. They were pretty dead, alright.