Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: edhackett on April 23, 2018, 12:59:23 pm

Title: Printer shake?
Post by: edhackett on April 23, 2018, 12:59:23 pm
Something of an odd question:

My 3880 sits atop an Ikea cabinet and the cabinet shakes a lot when the print head moves back and forth.  Does this have any discernible effect on print quality--I can't see one one readily--and should I try to dampen it (with a rubber pad or something)? 

Thanks and best wishes,

Ed
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on April 23, 2018, 01:46:41 pm
I have the same exact set up.  I ignore the shaking; image quality if fine.
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 23, 2018, 09:19:09 pm
Helps to agitate the carts.
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: BobShaw on April 26, 2018, 01:05:20 am
When they say "desktop printer" they meant a solid oak desk or similar. I doubt that your Ikea prefab will last a month (:-)
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on April 26, 2018, 08:36:02 am
When they say "desktop printer" they meant a solid oak desk or similar. I doubt that your Ikea prefab will last a month (:-)
LOL, I put mine together about seven years ago and it's still pretty solid!!!!
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 26, 2018, 09:11:13 am
My six-drawer IKEA chest has stayed perfectly intact for seven years under my 3800 and another year-plus under my P800.
No problem.
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: edhackett on April 28, 2018, 02:46:03 pm
Thanks for the reassurance: I'll continue to ignore it.  I've also had this set-up for a few years and, miraculously, the Ikea holds together.  And there may be something to all that shaking:  I've had no clogs despite some months-long intervals between printing sessions.

Best wishes,

Ed
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Ferp on April 28, 2018, 06:46:46 pm
I've had a few clogs recently on my 3880.  Maybe I need an IKEA table or cabinet?
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Dan Vincent on April 28, 2018, 09:25:47 pm
The perfect printer stand I found was actually an Ikea product: a Hemnes two-level bench (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20223622/). It's more like a small coffee table, but it's solid wood (not particle board) and is perfectly sized for 3880s/P800s and at a good working height. The second shelf level is perfect for paper, ink carts, materials, et cetera. I've used this for four years with no trouble at all. Before that, I had the printer on a collapsible table, and it did have some shake, but it never affected the printer negatively.

That said, shake is not too much of a problem for these printers. Even the large wide-roll Epsons have some amount of shake as the carriage moves left and right, though the current chassis have reduced this considerably from "noticeable visually" to "can only feel it slightly."
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Frodo on April 29, 2018, 03:25:15 am
I have bolted the table that holds my P600 to the wall and the P600 is strapped to the table.  Not because the printer shakes, but because the earth does! Most of my sensitive fittings and electronics are bolted to the wall to provide some protection for earthquakes here in Wellington, NZ!
Ferp, are you suggesting I need an occasional earthquake to prevent my printer from clogging?
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Panagiotis on April 29, 2018, 08:36:09 am
I use the following IKEA kitchen trolley for the Canon PRO-1000. It's well build and high enough (90cm/2.95 feet) for me to work easily. There is a little shake when the printer working, no problems. It can be easily moved by lifting the side without the wheels.
http://www.ikea.gr/kouzina/nisides-kai-trolei-kouzinas/stenstorp-trolei-koyzinas-55837/00323024/ (http://www.ikea.gr/kouzina/nisides-kai-trolei-kouzinas/stenstorp-trolei-koyzinas-55837/00323024/)
Title: Re: Printer shake?
Post by: Ferp on April 29, 2018, 10:01:19 am
Ferp, are you suggesting I need an occasional earthquake to prevent my printer from clogging?

If you do then you're probably in the right location.