Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 17, 2018, 05:02:02 pm

Title: spicy
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 17, 2018, 05:02:02 pm
?

Jeremy
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: RSL on April 17, 2018, 05:08:41 pm
Jeremy, just a thought.
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 17, 2018, 05:30:48 pm
That works too, but I prefer the colour version.
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: RSL on April 17, 2018, 07:48:57 pm
The problem with the color version is that it's muddy.
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 19, 2018, 02:09:19 pm
The problem with the color version is that it's muddy.

Now you mention it, it is. At least, the jpeg is: it doesn't look anything like as bad on my monitor.

How about this one? I do think it needs colour.

Jeremy
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: RSL on April 19, 2018, 02:26:23 pm
That's a definite improvement, Jeremy, but I still think this is a situation where B&W clarifies things.
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 21, 2018, 03:01:30 pm
Russ,

You cropped the colour out? I thought you were against the c-word.
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 21, 2018, 03:33:30 pm
Russ,

You cropped the colour out? I thought you were against the c-word.
+1.   :D
Title: Re: spicy
Post by: RSL on April 21, 2018, 04:27:53 pm
Okay you guys. The reason I cropped the color out is that the essence of street photography is graphics, not color. In photography in general, graphics usually is more important than color. One problem is that you simply can't control color with a camera the way you can with a brush. If you're in a controlled situation like a studio or a carefully planned outdoor shoot you can decide where to put the advancing colors and where to put the receding colors. But street, or anything close to street, doesn't give you that option. Which is not to say that you always should convert street shots to color. I have a bunch of street that I'm happy with in color: http://www.fineartsnaps.com/Color/index.html. But Jeremy's shot isn't one I'd keep in color.