Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: KMRennie on April 17, 2018, 09:07:18 am

Title: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: KMRennie on April 17, 2018, 09:07:18 am
Going through old shots and looking at them with fresh eyes sometimes unearths things that you never considered. These are from 31 Aug and 1st September 2013. The Godrevy lighthouse shot (susnset) I have been trying to get "right" for ages but the St Michael's mount shot (very early in the morning) I "discovered" this morning. Anyway they remind me of summer when the winter here has been holding on for too long, 2 days ago the temp was still in the high 30'sF. All comments welcome especially on the St Michael's Mount shot which may be too blue. Ken
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: guido on April 17, 2018, 10:33:01 am
Ken -- they both are quite lovely to my eye! Nicely seen and processed!
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 17, 2018, 11:12:58 am
The pink one is great, good composition, especially placing the main point of interest in the rightmost fifth.

The blue one might benefit from a b&w conversion, perhaps?
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: Neil Williams on April 17, 2018, 11:50:47 am
Fantastic mate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 17, 2018, 01:02:34 pm
I'm not mad on the second but the first is very beautiful.

Jeremy
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: sarrasani on April 17, 2018, 03:42:43 pm
both excellent for my tastes....
all the best,
Sandro
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 17, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
Well I like them both Ken, which when placed together shows me that you really have a good eye for composition, light and colour. In fact if I saw these images in a magazine or anywhere else for that matter and without knowing who took them, I would instantly think to myself that the person who did take them, really knew what they were doing.

Excellent.

Dave
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: francois on April 18, 2018, 03:28:19 am
I love the first one. The tones, colors, sky and wide landscape are simple fantastic.
The second shot is also very fine although I have yet to make up my mind regarding the "ghostly" silhouettes...
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: farbschlurf on April 18, 2018, 03:39:02 am
Both very good and color is right for me too, why not blue, if it is? The 2nd is great, though I don't understand how you did that.
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: KMRennie on April 18, 2018, 06:59:35 am
Thank you all for the pleasing replies. Stefan the St Michael's mount shot was an 18s exposure ( big stopper probably caused most off the odd colour shift). Two young boys were wading out to see if they could get across to the island and reached the mid thigh position and stopped and then worked out that the tide was rising. They must have been moving a little giving the ghostly appearance. The colours reminded me of David Hockney paintings but I will probably tone the cyan down a little after a day or two's reflection. Ken
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 19, 2018, 07:22:05 am
I love the first one. The tones, colors, sky and wide landscape are simple fantastic.
The second shot is also very fine although I have yet to make up my mind regarding the "ghostly" silhouettes...

Exactly what I tought.

The first is a winner!

Thierry
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: brandtb on April 20, 2018, 09:28:28 am
Very nice work  Ken, especially the first
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on April 20, 2018, 01:00:50 pm
Great pix as usual Ken, if I recall a story correctly it seems that the sheep that graze on the grasses there are almost pre salted due to the fact that the tide overruns this grazing area.
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: KMRennie on April 21, 2018, 10:49:53 am
Thanks again everyone. I don't know about this area Kevin as I live at the opposite end of the country. Here in Cumbria we have "Salt Marsh Lamb" that sells for a premium, In France it is called agneau de pré salé (salt meadow lamb). The lambs feed on grass and samphire on the seashore, the salt marshes are seldom covered even at high tide but the samphire is very salty when you eat it. Having tasted the lamb I don't find it particularly salty but it is very tasty. Ken
Title: Re: The ends of the day, Cornwall
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 21, 2018, 03:06:00 pm
The first image is very special.