Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: guido on April 14, 2018, 11:19:12 am

Title: Concord, MA 4/14
Post by: guido on April 14, 2018, 11:19:12 am
This mornings conditions lent themselves to experiment with focus merging:

(https://i.imgur.com/A7Ml7SJ.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/VHUhm9p.jpg)

And the B&W versions for Eric...

(https://i.imgur.com/dp6mtjy.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/w1iQJNw.jpg)

All shot with Canon 5DSR EF 70-200 f2.8L

Comments welcome! Thanks for looking!
Title: Re: Concord, MA 4/14
Post by: 32BT on April 14, 2018, 02:04:06 pm

All shot with Canon 5DSR EF 70-200 f2.8L

Comments welcome! Thanks for looking!

Something's seriously wrong with your kit, or the focus merging is doing funky stuff, because no Canon lens will produce that much CA or misaligned channels.
Title: Re: Concord, MA 4/14
Post by: guido on April 14, 2018, 04:47:50 pm
It's an old lens (purchased for use with an EOS 3...) with a lot of miles on it. I don't entirely dislike the effect... Perhaps it is time to send it in for a tune up... :-[
Title: Re: Concord, MA 4/14
Post by: farbschlurf on April 15, 2018, 01:08:34 pm
... I'm always happy to learn, can someone please point me to what exactly is wrong or not so good in these pictures? I'm really not sure whether I can see what you see but would like to ... thanks.
Title: Re: Concord, MA 4/14
Post by: guido on April 15, 2018, 06:59:04 pm
Years ago in the film age, I had a Summarit  f1.5 5cm lens on my M3. It had the most amazing bokeh and a delightful dimensional quality... One time I had the M3 in for a tuneup and the Tech looked at the lens and declared it had damaging fungus and need to to be cleaned instantly to prevent further damage. I reluctantly gave in and let him clean it, and while a bit of sharpness was added the magic quality I loved so was gone...

I fear there may be a reprise of that sad story with my 70-200... After sitting for a couple of years unused, I've started using it on my new 5DSR. It has a very different quality than my new lenses, but it has a lovely almost painted quality I quite like. I guess I need to decide if I want to risk the same fate or keep it in this state for getting just this effect...
Title: Re: Concord, MA 4/14
Post by: guido on April 16, 2018, 02:13:19 pm
When the rain stops this week, I'll do a side by side of a 70mm shot using the 24-70 f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8 (old...)

I'll use in camera jpeg for the test so my fooling about in Affinity can't be part of the comparison...

Should be an interesting test...