Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on April 10, 2018, 02:42:16 pm

Title: Low Key
Post by: BobDavid on April 10, 2018, 02:42:16 pm
West's profile.
Title: Re: Low Key
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 10, 2018, 03:11:45 pm
That is really beautifully done.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Low Key
Post by: RSL on April 10, 2018, 03:15:11 pm
Wow! Very nice, Bob.
Title: Re: Low Key
Post by: BobDavid on April 10, 2018, 03:28:09 pm
Portraiture is out of my comfort zone. I've been volunteering to teach photo classes at the local makers space. Next class will be on high key portraiture. This gentleman took the class and was gracious enough to pose for a photo. ... Funny thing, I've no interest in photographing pretty young women (as so many men do). When I was in my late twenties, I photographed a girl (clothed) who was a few years younger than me. We did four or five sessions. I developed a huge crush on her. I didn't let on, although I'm sure it was obvious. I knew she was in a long term relationship. I stopped photographing her out of frustration.
Title: Re: Low Key
Post by: RSL on April 10, 2018, 04:08:48 pm
I understand what you're saying, Bob. When you're in your twenties (thirties?, forties?) it's almost impossible to spend time around an attractive girl who's anywhere near your own age and not fall for her. And I think it's always obvious. Fortunately, perhaps, I was married at 22, so I steered away. But it's how the human race keeps going.

Like you, I don't find portraiture particularly exciting, though since I have the light stands, lights, backgrounds, etc., I shoot a lot of it for various groups here in my retirement community. With the right face, sometimes it's interesting though. Gotta get over to St. Aug before it gets hot and do some street. The path in P.E.A.R. park can be interesting, but it just doesn't measure up to St. George street.
Title: Re: Low Key
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2018, 05:33:32 pm
That is a stunning portrait, Bob.

When my mother died last November (at 106 years old,) my wife and I spent hours going through all the old family snapshots to put together a display about her life. I'm happy to say we had an excellent assortment, but my one regret was that I have almost never photographed people, so I don't have personal records of the key moments in my own life.

Eric