Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stevieisballer on April 09, 2018, 11:33:37 pm

Title: Improve
Post by: stevieisballer on April 09, 2018, 11:33:37 pm
I’d like to hear yall’s thoughts on this photo?  How can I improve?
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180410/298fe933f65a6535c95348573c533ee5.jpg)
Title: Re: Improve
Post by: guido on April 10, 2018, 08:25:01 am
I think it is pretty lovely as it is! In a perfect world you could ask for a few more puffy clouds nicely balanced across the sky. And waiting for the sun to come up a touch more and give that nice sunburst effect might make it more dramatic.  But I think the composition is pretty nice, the foreground is interesting with nice texture. I'm a dead tree guy so i'd perhaps pan a tiny bit to the left to get more of that, but it is working well as it is... I think the slow shutter speed to smooth the water is quite effective...

Nicely seen and executed.
Title: Re: Improve
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2018, 01:46:46 pm
Nice composition and execution. It works just fine as is for me.
Title: Re: Improve
Post by: BobDavid on April 10, 2018, 02:48:11 pm
...a bit heavy on the HDR?  The elongation of the foreground is a bit distracting. That can easily be fixed by copying the bottom half, pasting it over the original, and then scaling down the height by 25% or so.
Title: Re: Improve
Post by: stevieisballer on April 10, 2018, 11:23:24 pm
Thanks for all the input everyone!
...a bit heavy on the HDR?  The elongation of the foreground is a bit distracting. That can easily be fixed by copying the bottom half, pasting it over the original, and then scaling down the height by 25% or so.

I have been trying to find the right balance of HDR.  When you say elongation, do you mean I should just crop up a little to the edge of the puddle?
Thanks!