Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 08, 2018, 06:10:57 pm

Title: mushroom berg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 08, 2018, 06:10:57 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 08, 2018, 06:18:05 pm
Good catch.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: 32BT on April 08, 2018, 10:55:41 pm
Funky colorcast on the left and right side?
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: John R on April 09, 2018, 02:18:48 am
Well it is eye catching. But it would be nice if the iceberg pieces did not overlap.

JR
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 09, 2018, 02:35:30 am
Funky colorcast on the left and right side?

Colour. Not cast.

Well it is eye catching. But it would be nice if the iceberg pieces did not overlap.

It would. I'll go back when I can  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 09, 2018, 08:35:37 am
Nice – it's a luminous mushroom 'berg!
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 09, 2018, 09:15:58 am
Funky colorcast on the left and right side?
Antarctica seems to have its own set of funky colours. Jeremy didn't invent them.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: 32BT on April 09, 2018, 09:51:02 am
Antarctica seems to have its own set of funky colours. Jeremy didn't invent them.

That's what he hints at, i think. But i mean the left and right side of the image. Very visible in the clouds, but also in the water. A bit red-ish, or less blue if you will. I'm pretty sure it isn't antartica, as that would be more one sided colorchanges, me thinks.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: MattBurt on April 09, 2018, 11:38:44 am
Love the blues in the ice!
I agree it seems cluttered with the overlapping elements but I understand you get what you get in these situations.
I also find the wind ripples on the water a little distracting and might have tried a longer exposure, but I also understand that might not have been possible.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 09, 2018, 02:28:37 pm
Love the blues in the ice!
I agree it seems cluttered with the overlapping elements but I understand you get what you get in these situations.
I also find the wind ripples on the water a little distracting and might have tried a longer exposure, but I also understand that might not have been possible.

Thanks. I was sitting in a Zodiac. Long exposure wasn't an option, sadly - I agree it would probably have produced an interesting image.

Jeremy
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: MattBurt on April 09, 2018, 05:12:22 pm
Thanks. I was sitting in a Zodiac. Long exposure wasn't an option, sadly - I agree it would probably have produced an interesting image.

Jeremy

Yeah I know how that can go when you just have to get what you can. It's a good documentary image of an interesting subject but not much more IMO.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 10, 2018, 03:09:03 pm
It's a good documentary image of an interesting subject but not much more IMO.

You pinpoint my aspirations, Matt. The realistic ones, anyway  :(

Jeremy
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: MattBurt on April 10, 2018, 03:34:38 pm
You pinpoint my aspirations, Matt. The realistic ones, anyway  :(

Jeremy

Then mission accomplished? :)
I only say that because I think have seen other images of yours that went beyond documentary and really had something extra.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: RSL on April 10, 2018, 04:11:12 pm
I'm with Matt, Jeremy. Like pictures of pets, pictures of icebergs can become tedious.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 11, 2018, 02:56:46 am
Then mission accomplished? :)
I only say that because I think have seen other images of yours that went beyond documentary and really had something extra.

Thanks, Matt. I wasn't upset by your comment: I think you're probably right. I'll keep trying.

I'm with Matt, Jeremy. Like pictures of pets, pictures of icebergs can become tedious.

I don't think that was his point, Russ, but if I'm boring you, I apologise. I'll find some penguins.

Jeremy
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: FataMorgana on April 11, 2018, 12:07:46 pm
A little more 'berg exists to the right of frame. Is there a reason it is unbalanced?

Could you have taken this lying down? Then the righthand proboscis may well have achieved separation with the rear of the berg - these  two elements are seemingly conjoined at present, they run into each other. By lying down you make have separated the two sections out.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: MattBurt on April 11, 2018, 12:28:43 pm
Thanks, Matt. I wasn't upset by your comment: I think you're probably right. I'll keep trying.

Jeremy

Good, I'm looking forward to seeing more! I'd love to get down to Antarctica at some point. Maybe as a ski tour/photo trip.
Title: Re: mushroom berg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 12, 2018, 04:09:34 am
Could you have taken this lying down? Then the righthand proboscis may well have achieved separation with the rear of the berg - these  two elements are seemingly conjoined at present, they run into each other. By lying down you make have separated the two sections out.

I can't remember, but for most of the Zodiac shots I was either kneeling or sitting, so I doubt I could have taken it from any lower down.

Good, I'm looking forward to seeing more! I'd love to get down to Antarctica at some point. Maybe as a ski tour/photo trip.

I don't know anything about skiing; we were on a ship, with frequent shore excursions and wandering between icebergs in Zodiacs. I recommend it unreservedly; I'll be back.

Jeremy