Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on March 24, 2018, 11:02:24 am

Title: arrowhead
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 24, 2018, 11:02:24 am
?

Jeremy
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 23, 2018, 02:25:48 pm
OK, I'll try again.

Jeremy
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: James Clark on May 23, 2018, 04:56:28 pm
Not be all Russ or anything, but yep, that's an iceberg ;)

Kidding aside, I'll probably never get tired of the stunning colors to be found in shots like these, but for me at least the simple sight of one is no longer enough to set me off.  The formation is somewhat unique I guess, but it just doesn't strike me as super-special (beyond, admittedly, that it's a bright blue hunk of ice in a very remote location, which is still cool, if not still amazingly extraordinary). I wouldn't discourage you form posting more though...
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: maddogmurph on May 24, 2018, 08:07:53 pm
First foreground, second sky. Increase the micro clarity in the sky perhaps to add mood. Smooth out the waves by decreasing clarity, and dehaze. Maybe also boost up black using a grad filter on the bottom and bring down exposure. At the end of the day there's nothing that is going to turn this into an epic shot. But it's nice because of the shape of that ice.
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: David Eckels on May 25, 2018, 09:08:00 am
For me, the left berg does not contribute anything and I think takes away from what I assume you intend as the main subject, the spectacularly pointed berg on the right. I think a narrower crop would also add to the drama of that shape, which is quite striking. +1 to maddogmurph's comments, too.
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: Farmer on May 26, 2018, 01:32:01 am
For me, the left berg does not contribute anything and I think takes away from what I assume you intend as the main subject, the spectacularly pointed berg on the right. I think a narrower crop would also add to the drama of that shape, which is quite striking. +1 to maddogmurph's comments, too.

Agreed - whilst the comparison between the two is good, I think isolating the spectacular, pointed right-side berg is far more impactful.
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: francois on May 26, 2018, 06:12:17 am
OK, I'll try again.

Jeremy

Now, that's interesting… The Clovis people also managed to explore polar regions and leave traces  ;D
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 26, 2018, 01:34:02 pm
Agreed - whilst the comparison between the two is good, I think isolating the spectacular, pointed right-side berg is far more impactful.

I have one with that composition! Slightly different angle.

Jeremy
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: Farmer on May 26, 2018, 06:48:15 pm
I like this composition a lot!  The shape also makes me think of a bishop chess piece. 
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: BobDavid on May 27, 2018, 02:00:37 am
 ...a cubist painting.
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: David Eckels on May 27, 2018, 12:48:58 pm
To me, much more interesting, FWIW.
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: BobDavid on May 27, 2018, 02:42:59 pm
To me, much more interesting, FWIW.

There are excellent cubist paintings and awful cubist paintings...
Title: Re: arrowhead
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 27, 2018, 02:54:07 pm
There are excellent cubist paintings and awful cubist paintings...

True. But...

Jeremy