Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: JudyKonopka on March 24, 2018, 09:44:04 am

Title: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: JudyKonopka on March 24, 2018, 09:44:04 am
Hi, I was wondering if anyone ever ships this paper and how you do it.  I am starting to ship a few sizes.  I purchased some very hard envelopes for the 8 x 10's, however, today I need to mail out 13 x 19s.  My thought was wraping them AROUND (instead of inside a cardboard tube and then using paper and bubble wrap and then insert into a PO tube (those triangular ones).  I was wondering if there are any other ideas or ways you ship this paper.  With satin photopaper, it's easy to roll up and put in a tube, but this paper is so thick, I was wondering if there are other ways to ship it.

Thanks!
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: mearussi on March 24, 2018, 10:03:55 am
It does come on a 3" roll after all so it can be rolled up for shipping. There are both 3" and 5" shipping tubes available, so if the 3" bothers you then use a 5" instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x5x25-White-Box-Corrugated-Square-Mailing-Tube-Shipping-Storage-25-Tubes/380884184057?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Also because printed matte paper is so easy to scratch I would suggest you apply a spray overcoat to protect the surface--either Hahnemuhle, Moab or Premier Art would work.

Anything I ship I also put inside a plastic sheath to weatherproof it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-200-Clear-6-3Mil-Lay-Flat-Poly-Tubing-Food-Grade-Impulse-heat-sealer-bags/111291853997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=410286831230&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Impulse-Sealer-Manual-Heat-Sealing-Machine-Poly-Tubing-Plastic-Bag-2X-Teflon/382068397254?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

 
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: JudyKonopka on March 24, 2018, 10:21:53 am
Thank you so much for the links, information, and links.  Most helpful!

It does come on a 3" roll after all so it can be rolled up for shipping. There are both 3" and 5" shipping tubes available, so if the 3" bothers you then use a 5" instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x5x25-White-Box-Corrugated-Square-Mailing-Tube-Shipping-Storage-25-Tubes/380884184057?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Also because printed matte paper is so easy to scratch I would suggest you apply a spray overcoat to protect the surface--either Hahnemuhle, Moab or Premier Art would work.

Anything I ship I also put inside a plastic sheath to weatherproof it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-200-Clear-6-3Mil-Lay-Flat-Poly-Tubing-Food-Grade-Impulse-heat-sealer-bags/111291853997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=410286831230&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Impulse-Sealer-Manual-Heat-Sealing-Machine-Poly-Tubing-Plastic-Bag-2X-Teflon/382068397254?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: dc on March 24, 2018, 12:38:55 pm
Hi, I was wondering if anyone ever ships this paper and how you do it.  I am starting to ship a few sizes.  I purchased some very hard envelopes for the 8 x 10's, however, today I need to mail out 13 x 19s.  My thought was wraping them AROUND (instead of inside a cardboard tube and then using paper and bubble wrap and then insert into a PO tube (those triangular ones).  I was wondering if there are any other ideas or ways you ship this paper.  With satin photopaper, it's easy to roll up and put in a tube, but this paper is so thick, I was wondering if there are other ways to ship it.

Thanks!

Judy I just discovered something at the P.O. related to your predicament. If you want to mail 13 x 19 flat and are interested in Priority mail, you can use one of these: 
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Small Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

The secret is to just insert your print and protective paper and plastic bag into the flat shape without making it into a box! just tape up all open edges. fits 13x19 perfectly.

Doug
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: BradSmith on March 24, 2018, 07:23:53 pm
USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

The secret is to just insert your print and protective paper and plastic bag into the flat shape without making it into a box! just tape up all open edges. fits 13x19 perfectly.

Doug

How do you fit a 13"x19" print flat into a 5"x8" box?
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: mearussi on March 25, 2018, 09:04:21 am
Thank you so much for the links, information, and links.  Most helpful!
You're welcome. And of course the shipping tubes come in different sizes. For your 13x19 an 18" tube would be more applicable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x5x18-White-Box-Corrugated-Square-Mailing-Tube-Shipping-Storage-25-Tubes/380884183964?hash=item58ae776b9c:g:qBwAAOxyBjBTSqz9
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on March 25, 2018, 09:27:52 am
I use the four inch cylindrical Kraft mailing tubes from Uline:  https://www.uline.com/BL_3653/Kraft-Tubes The 18 inch long (they are really 19 inches but the plastic cap reduces the usable space) tubes can be used for 13 and 17 inch wide prints.  I use archival interleave paper to cover the surface of the print prior to rolling it.  I have successfully shipped both gloss and matte prints this way without having to spray the surface.  For those who have ordered matte prints I let them know in advance about the delicate nature of the print surface.
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: dc on March 25, 2018, 06:52:11 pm
How do you fit a 13"x19" print flat into a 5"x8" box?

whoops I looked at the wrong one if you really care. it's...
Priority Mail 2-Day™ Medium Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8

that's the medium size. they come flat at the P.O. Keep it flat.
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: JudyKonopka on March 27, 2018, 06:24:13 pm
Thank You Alan.


I use the four inch cylindrical Kraft mailing tubes from Uline:  https://www.uline.com/BL_3653/Kraft-Tubes The 18 inch long (they are really 19 inches but the plastic cap reduces the usable space) tubes can be used for 13 and 17 inch wide prints.  I use archival interleave paper to cover the surface of the print prior to rolling it.  I have successfully shipped both gloss and matte prints this way without having to spray the surface.  For those who have ordered matte prints I let them know in advance about the delicate nature of the print surface.
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: JudyKonopka on March 27, 2018, 06:25:28 pm
Thanks! I have the tubes already and just got the Hannemuehl spray and poly bags today!  Thanks for your advice again!

You're welcome. And of course the shipping tubes come in different sizes. For your 13x19 an 18" tube would be more applicable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x5x18-White-Box-Corrugated-Square-Mailing-Tube-Shipping-Storage-25-Tubes/380884183964?hash=item58ae776b9c:g:qBwAAOxyBjBTSqz9
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: mearussi on March 28, 2018, 12:05:11 am
Thanks! I have the tubes already and just got the Hannemuehl spray and poly bags today!  Thanks for your advice again!
You're welcome, and hope it works out for you.
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: patjoja on March 28, 2018, 02:10:04 am
Thanks! I have the tubes already and just got the Hannemuehl spray and poly bags today!  Thanks for your advice again!

+1, sprayed print in poly bag inside of a 4" tube.  Should work fine.

Patrick
Title: Re: How to ship Palo Duro Etching paper?
Post by: disneytoy on April 01, 2018, 01:12:11 pm
If you use the "free" triangle tubes for Priority Mail, I have had the PO damage prints several times. The similar "free" Triangle tubes from Fedex are much stiffer. In a pinch when I ship 44" prints. I will buy a 10' white drainage tube from Home Dept or Lowes, Cut it to size. I prefer the 4" tubes, but have used the 3" tubes. Wash them out, they can be dirty. At around $1 a foot they are pretty good. you can run a car over them. I just cut a circle from cardboard box to make the ends.

When I ship smaller print as you describe. If I use the free flat priority boxes, I slit the end and double them up. One layer of the cheap PO cardboard box really isnt enough. If you are in the over 1lb Priority rate, you are actually paying for up to 2lb. Might as well use an extra box for safety. I just shipped a 18x18 this way, add a layer of Priority box to the front and back making 3 layers of cardboard each side at 1.6oz.

I always cover the surface of my prints with a sheet of tracing paper. I have Glassine, but that is 4x the cost.