Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: chrismuc on March 18, 2018, 02:43:29 am
-
Recently I used my GFX for some street photography in Japan and one day I accidentally set it to electronic shutter. Gives some funny pics if people or objects are passing by: The very slow 1/4s readout time totally distorts any moving object, so one really has to be aware of that and use it only for pretty completely static motives.
-
yes also the electronic shutter of the Nikon D850, while faster, has its shortcomings.
I also advice to use it when absolutely necessary.
An other problem with the electronic shutter; Interference with flickering ledlights and projections at certain shutterspeeds.
This results in a striped image.
On the otherhand; it already saved me in more than a few occasons where silence was a must.
-
... The very slow 1/4s readout time totally distorts any moving object, so one really has to be aware of that and use it only for pretty completely static motives.
I am a little more lenient with the restriction of "completely static." As I posted in the X1D vs GFX thread, waves and other more random, non-recognizable motives seem ok to me.
ES and waves (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121488.msg1033481#msg1033481)
The subject also has to be pretty large in the frame; grasses, leaves and branches moving in the wind look like, well, grasses, leaves and branches moving in the wind.
(http://www.davechewphotography.com/temp_images/es/DChew_171011_004205-C1-Pano.jpg)
Sorry not the best example, but I usually try to avoid the grasses moving and therefore don't have many examples...
:-[
Dave
-
If you move the camera, you can get some crazy effects from the GFX ES:
https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/making-lemonade-from-the-gfx-slow-electronic-shutter/
Jim
-
I think this picture is quite OK lacking crazy effekts although using electronic shutter on the Hasselblad X1D and the 80mm f/2.8 old Zeiss lens with Kipon adapter. The shutter was 1/400 sec and the readout supposedly is 0.3 sec. I know, the jumping boy is not in focus but that is not the point of the example.
/Eric
-
I think this picture is quite OK lacking crazy effekts although using electronic shutter on the Hasselblad X1D and the 80mm f/2.8 old Zeiss lens with Kipon adapter. The shutter was 1/400 sec and the readout supposedly is 0.3 sec. I know, the jumping boy is not in focus but that is not the point of the example.
/Eric
Was the camera hand held? Overall the image looks pretty sharp so you must have great technique! Thanks for sharing!
-
Was the camera hand held? Overall the image looks pretty sharp so you must have great technique! Thanks for sharing!
The slow readout speed will not make the image unsharp if the set shutter speed is adequate. It will, however, induce distortions in moving subjects. If you try this with windblown foliage and look closely, you can get some interesting effects.
Jim
-
Was the camera hand held? Overall the image looks pretty sharp so you must have great technique! Thanks for sharing!
Hand held but fast e-shutter. I am pretty satisfied with the lack of distortion in the jumping boy. Here the trick is holding the camera *still* during the whole 0,3sec readout time. Of course there are times you get distortion anyhow. Faster readout, the ultimate will be gloubal shutter, would be great. But it will not make me a bettet photographer.
/Eric
-
I am pretty satisfied with the lack of distortion in the jumping boy.
/Eric
Do you not mean:
I am pretty satisfied that the way the boy is distorted looks realistic enough... ?
-
Do you not mean:
I am pretty satisfied that the way the boy is distorted looks realistic enough... ?
Fair enough.
Could be applied to any picture when you are at it.
/Eric
-
The slow readout speed will not make the image unsharp if the set shutter speed is adequate. It will, however, induce distortions in moving subjects. If you try this with windblown foliage and look closely, you can get some interesting effects.
Jim
Can you direct me to some examples of windblown foliage? I am trying to get a feeling for the utility of the X1D electronic shutter in tripod mounted landscape involving subject motion.
-
Was the camera hand held? Overall the image looks pretty sharp so you must have great technique! Thanks for sharing!
Hi,
Only the horisontal component of the motion matters. Try that with the boy running forward.
Best regards
Erik