Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on March 13, 2018, 04:02:58 pm

Title: berg 1
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 13, 2018, 04:02:58 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: farbschlurf on March 13, 2018, 04:35:28 pm
That's a great subject! (I already saw those arches photographed by Kevin on the frontpage already; never knew icebergs do form such shapes!)

The ice looks very good, also the place in the frame is nice. Just one of those shots you just look and think: incredible. At least for me.

But one thing: You desaturated the sky, didn't you? It looks a bit to neutral to my eyes, cannot really believe this. I guess you tried to separate from the blue ice, but maybe it's a little too much. At least for me, again ...

Thanks for showing.
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: BobDavid on March 14, 2018, 02:29:15 am
The picture is great. How did you get there?
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 14, 2018, 04:19:19 am
But one thing: You desaturated the sky, didn't you? It looks a bit to neutral to my eyes, cannot really believe this. I guess you tried to separate from the blue ice, but maybe it's a little too much. At least for me, again ...

A little, yes: in fact, it was reddish and seemed to me to look peculiar. Maybe it needs a little bit of blue.

The picture is great. How did you get there?

Thanks!

I flew from Manchester to London, then to Santiago, then to Punta Arenas, then to King George Island. Then I spent a few days on a ship, got onto a Zodiac with a good driver (and Kevin), and cruised around until we saw it.

Simple, really  ;)

I can't recommend a trip to Antarctica highly enough.

Jeremy
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: francois on March 14, 2018, 04:51:09 am
Arches NP on the sea!
Shapes and colors are simply breathtaking… I like the sky, sometimes, reality needs to be very slightly toned down or altered.
Bravo, Jeremy.
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Bob_B on March 14, 2018, 08:39:12 am
Extraordinary, particularly the color palette. I too didn't know that icebergs formed arches.
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 14, 2018, 03:25:17 pm
Extraordinary, particularly the color palette. I too didn't know that icebergs formed arches.

Nor did I. They form holes (I have shots of some which I'll post), and I suppose the holes can just expand.

Jeremy
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: DP on March 14, 2018, 04:38:19 pm
Thoughts?
Rhein III it is not ...
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 14, 2018, 10:15:45 pm
Arches NP on the sea!
Shapes and colors are simply breathtaking… I like the sky, sometimes, reality needs to be very slightly toned down or altered.
Bravo, Jeremy.
Agreed!
I'll admit my first thought was that is must have drifted all the way from Utah.

Eric
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 15, 2018, 04:48:29 am
Rhein III it is not ...

I'll take that as a compliment. While a few million dollars wouldn't go amiss, I find horizontal blurred bands of vague colours less appealing than something of interest.

Jeremy
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: DP on March 15, 2018, 05:06:42 pm
I'll take that as a compliment. While a few million dollars wouldn't go amiss, I find horizontal blurred bands of vague colours less appealing than something of interest.

Jeremy

on a serious note... after "Rhein II", don't you think it is a bad taste to use numbers ?
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 16, 2018, 02:08:17 am
That's a great shot. I think there is more goodness in there and that it is not yet a finished article.
Title: Re: berg 1
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 16, 2018, 06:08:37 pm
on a serious note... after "Rhein II", don't you think it is a bad taste to use numbers ?

It must be bad taste to use any of the letters, too. I'll rename this shot "bg" in deference to St Andreas.

Actually, I won't avoid "e" or "r", and I'll leave the number in place.

What on earth are you talking about?

Jeremy