Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on March 03, 2018, 02:01:19 pm
-
A local from earlier today
-
Beautiful. Do you also have the obverse (more foreground and less sky)?
-
Very nice! If it were mine I'd think about making sure the horizon were level.
-
I love it!
But I agree with Guido that leveling it a bit might even improve it.
Eric
-
Beautiful. Do you also have the obverse (more foreground and less sky)?
The 'more foreground' option wasn't available - some really intrusive foliage
-
Very nice! If it were mine I'd think about making sure the horizon were level.
The horizon isn't level. It is seriously uneven.
-
The horizon isn't level. It is seriously uneven.
Always a tough call. But because the tree seems to be growing close to perpendicular to the hedge/fence line, the whole image seems to list to the left. One of those times to disregard what the bubble level is saying and use your eye or a grid on your focus screen...
If there are other elements in the frame it can be less of an issue, but since the line and tree are so clearly your subject, and you are not expressing a stronger diagonal with them to make it clear that is your intention, to me, it looks a touch off.
-
OK. That makes sense. I wonder whether the not-quite-horizontal lines in the snow exacerbate things.
-
OK. That makes sense. I wonder whether the not-quite-horizontal lines in the snow exacerbate things.
For me, I don't think the snow lines have much impact on the sense of alignment. When looking at composition of a clear image like this, I actually like the smaller size of the thumbnail. It tends to let my eye grab a better sense of the design things without the detail, and I can't even really get the snow lines when it is that size. At that size i instantly get that off sense that would be easy to fix with a different crop (you image from the other day doesn't have the issue at all). But when I open it up to full size the detail in the snow is really nice, almost like waves if it were warmer water...
-
A local from earlier today
I really like this type of what I can only refer to as an almost 'empty abstract' shot, which is a style that means you really have to be confident in your own abilities to first see and then take correctly, as you have done here Bill.
I also know that it is always going to be tempting to level the horizon afterwards in such shots, or at least make it feel as though it straight, but I think this might actually take away from the abstract nature of this shot if it starts to feel overly composed. I might be wrong of course and would look at creating a version with a more levelled out horizon, but I also think I would then decide to stick with this version.
Great shot Bill.
Dave
-
I really like this type of what I can only refer to as an almost 'empty abstract' shot, which is a style that means you really have to be confident in your own abilities to first see and then take correctly, as you have done here Bill.
I also know that it is always going to be tempting to level the horizon afterwards in such shots, or at least make it feel as though it straight, but I think this might actually take away from the abstract nature of this shot if it starts to feel overly composed. I might be wrong of course and would look at creating a version with a more levelled out horizon, but I also think I would then decide to stick with this version.
Great shot Bill.
Dave
I Agree 100% with Dave...
Peter