Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Joe Towner on February 22, 2018, 12:37:59 am

Title: BJÖRKSTA viable canvas?
Post by: Joe Towner on February 22, 2018, 12:37:59 am
So Ikea sells these metal frames that take a canvas print and, let's be honest, their print selection sucks ;)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30311171/

It's a fairly thin canvas that a plastic insert that helps stretch the canvas tight as it holds it in place.  So I figured I'd ask before I went down with a sample book or two to try and match it.
Title: Re: BJÖRKSTA viable canvas?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 22, 2018, 03:40:39 am
So Ikea sells these metal frames that take a canvas print and, let's be honest, their print selection sucks ;)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30311171/

It's a fairly thin canvas that a plastic insert that helps stretch the canvas tight as it holds it in place.  So I figured I'd ask before I went down with a sample book or two to try and match it.

In that category you may as well look for Tyvek inkjet media. Will strain the frames less. There are some that print very well but the roll width sizes are not that widely spread, too wide  or too small for 44" printers for example.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: BJÖRKSTA viable canvas?
Post by: stockjock on February 22, 2018, 12:17:34 pm
In that category you may as well look for Tyvek inkjet media. Will strain the frames less. There are some that print very well but the roll width sizes are not that widely spread, too wide  or too small for 44" printers for example.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Hi Ernst,

I've tried some vinyl products like PhotoTex or Photo Peel Gloss but I've never heard of a Tyvek based printable media.  Do you have any brand names?  I'm in the US so I guess it might be different here.

Thanks.

Paul
Title: Re: BJÖRKSTA viable canvas?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 23, 2018, 03:31:24 am
Hi Ernst,

I've tried some vinyl products like PhotoTex or Photo Peel Gloss but I've never heard of a Tyvek based printable media.  Do you have any brand names?  I'm in the US so I guess it might be different here.

Thanks.

Paul

Check Tyvek inkjet media and make sure they are not intended for (eco)solvent inks but aqueous inks. 36, 42 and 60¨ etc wide but no 44", sheets too, Dupont often mentioned.
http://www.materialconcepts.com/tyvek/banner-media/
for example in the US but you have to test the image quality as there are variations in the inkjet coatings from different distributors. It has no sense to mention EU distributors, all relabeled stuff where the origin is hard to trace.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Title: Re: BJÖRKSTA viable canvas?
Post by: stockjock on February 23, 2018, 11:46:48 am
Thanks.  It looks like LexJet has a house brand of inkjet printable Tyvek that is relatively affordable.