Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ryan Mack on February 14, 2018, 12:59:53 pm

Title: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: Ryan Mack on February 14, 2018, 12:59:53 pm
I generally like buying frames and mats in bulk but I have a hard time visualizing which mat/frame combinations would look best. Anybody have a favorite site or app that lets you preview what things would look like? I imagine this is going to be some online frame shop's tool but hopefully they won't mind if I don't end up buying the framed print through them :-)
Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: Panagiotis on February 14, 2018, 01:21:46 pm
I generally like buying frames and mats in bulk but I have a hard time visualizing which mat/frame combinations would look best. Anybody have a favorite site or app that lets you preview what things would look like? I imagine this is going to be some online frame shop's tool but hopefully they won't mind if I don't end up buying the framed print through them :-)

I use this for calculating the mat size:
http://matcalculator.chrisspeck.com/#/ (http://matcalculator.chrisspeck.com/#/)

Also this PS script is very helpful:
http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/2016/05/07/frameshop-script-v0-9-7-for-photoshop-cc-2015/ (http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/2016/05/07/frameshop-script-v0-9-7-for-photoshop-cc-2015/)

But for better results I made it manually in PS per image and frame basis and I sent a jpg to the client for approval. It's more realistic and it's greatly appreciated. An example:

Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: one iota on February 14, 2018, 04:29:26 pm
http://www.dl-c.com/site/downloads/fe-apps.php
Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: BobShaw on February 14, 2018, 05:06:38 pm
Well you can try my solution that i used when framing.
http://advantageconsulting.com.au and go to products and GetFRAME and find the demo.

It can be integrated into any website for custom framing options.
Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 15, 2018, 05:32:15 am
http://www.dl-c.com/site/downloads/fe-apps.php

I used to have an older version Picture Window Pro but did not upgrade it in time. Now I see it became free and has the latest version of the Frame app aboard. I tried several frame apps but never liked the way the settings are used, maybe this one is different, will check.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: nirpat89 on February 15, 2018, 09:14:43 am
You could try this:

http://www.framesbymail.com/print-and-frame/

Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: framah on February 15, 2018, 11:37:58 am
Go online and grab images of what ever frames you might be wanting to try as well as shots of mat board colors and then bring them into PS and play with making borders.

 Problem is that there is no way to be sure that the colors from the various sites are REALLY the color of the actual mat or whether your monitor is calibrated good enough to get close matches of the colors.

A third idea might be to set yourself up as a framing business and then get the samples right from the companies.

Go online and find where the next framing convention is being held and go and ask for  samples from the companies. You wil need some business cards and possibly a business tax number as proof of legitimacy of your "framing business".

Bainbridge matboards will sell you a set of corners if you can prove that you do your own matting/framing.
Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: BobShaw on February 15, 2018, 04:38:49 pm
Why don't you just go to the framer that you want to use and buy mat and frame corner samples off them? You don't need that many really. A couple of different whites, black and maybe some woodgrain frame corners.
Title: Re: Apps/sites for experimenting with matting/framing combinations?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 16, 2018, 05:12:22 am
I generally like buying frames and mats in bulk but I have a hard time visualizing which mat/frame combinations would look best. Anybody have a favorite site or app that lets you preview what things would look like? I imagine this is going to be some online frame shop's tool but hopefully they won't mind if I don't end up buying the framed print through them :-)

I  have to say for visualizing an image in a frame the Frame Explorer embedded in the now free Picture Window Pro is quite good. Images of the left side of frames can be added too to the library. I see crop guide lines resulting from the frame and matte choices appear in the original image window too but can not activate it as a real crop. Might need more experience. However the latest Qimage Ultimate, on the fly, non-destructible, crop tool launched from the print preview is easier with the right border settings. Which reminds me that I asked Mike years ago for a frame + mat visualization feature that also exports mat etc sizes.  Given the border tools with sizes and colors it needs some additions but not much.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots