Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Pete JF on January 31, 2018, 06:40:44 pm

Title: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Pete JF on January 31, 2018, 06:40:44 pm
Hi folks,

I have been trying everything to get a sheet of 13x19 Canson Rag Photographique to load into the p800.. without getting a "paper skewed" alert..

-Front loading, can't square it up
-Rear..same result
-Using a 'slider'sheet in the back to ease it through the loading process...skewed

This is a seriously flawed and maddening system.

I then tried the poster board, straight through and continue to get "skewed paper" warnings..

Im going nuts and thinking that there is something wrong with this printer..besides the very obvious design flaws..

Help..

thanks

Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on January 31, 2018, 06:57:37 pm
I don't have any experience with this paper, but I do use the front fine art feeder on the P800 all the time.  I haven't had a skew in a long long time.

The Canson website gives the thickness 466um for the heavier version of this paper, so, as I understand the printer driver, the paper thickness in Advanced Media Control should be set to "5" (for .5mm, which is 500um).  This could be what's causing the skews.

I don't know whether the platen gap should be set to wide for this paper.  I use "standard" for Canson Baryta Photographique (and "4" for paper thickness; it is 310um).
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Pete JF on January 31, 2018, 07:09:26 pm
I should add that I can load the same paper in 8.5 x 11 with no issues..
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on January 31, 2018, 07:13:00 pm
I should add that I can load the same paper in 8.5 x 11 with no issues..

Just curious: which paper, with which paper thickness and platen gap settings?
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Jeff-Grant on January 31, 2018, 07:15:44 pm
On a 3880, for the rear feeder, this is often caused by paper dust. A quick blow out of the rear feeder can often clear it.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Pete JF on January 31, 2018, 07:19:12 pm
The paper is Canson Rag Photographique 310g 13x19

I just tried it with the platen set to 'wide'..same result..'skewed'
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Jeff-Grant on January 31, 2018, 07:24:25 pm
It would probably work through the sheet feeder, but I would set the platen gap to wide. I have used it that way before.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 31, 2018, 07:24:44 pm
i'd check to make sure you don't have something that has jammed up in the paper path, a very small piece of torn paper, etc.

I've used all the paper paths with various papers and sizes with no issues.  The fact that a small sheet is fine and larger one is problematic seems to indicate the printer may have a problem.

Another problem using a lot of mat paper in a printer is the paper dust that coats the feed rollers causing them to lose their grip.  Hard to clean them sometimes. 
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on January 31, 2018, 07:25:08 pm
I assume that because the 11x8-1/2 is ok, the paper thickness setting is ok too for the larger paper size (I trust others with more experience will correct me if this assumption is wrong).

Assuming the settings are ok, then I need to sign off here (at least for a while) and await input from those who have deeper experience than I do.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Pete JF on January 31, 2018, 07:30:53 pm
i noticed that you can turn off the "skewed paper check"..i did that..printing now..

However..any tips on cleaning the rollers and/or general mechanism in this printer?

thanks
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Frodo on January 31, 2018, 09:29:22 pm
i noticed that you can turn off the "skewed pear check"..i did that..printing now..

However..any tips on cleaning the rollers and/or general mechanism in this printer?

thanks

Was going to suggest this, hoping it doesn't turn out "pear" shaped!
Is the print applied parallel to the sides?  In other words, is it actually skewed or is the sensor too sensitive?

I had a similar issue with sheets cut from roll paper in my P600 but with some practice (don't know what I'm doing differently) it seems to be okay now.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Pete JF on January 31, 2018, 10:38:35 pm
Frodo..yes, a pear came out..but it was skewed..and skinned

Seriously..yes, the print, in fact, was slightly crooked on the page.

Im gonna lean towards cleaning the rollers tomorrow..

anyone have any experience cleaning a p800's rollers?

Or, anyone else have any other ideas as to how to load a large sheet in the fine art slot without skewing?

Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: loganross on February 01, 2018, 02:08:32 am
I don't have a problem with even the thickest paper, once I figured out how to do it. When you open the manual feed front FA tray, insert the paper all the way in, and use the front lip (left to right) of the FA tray to line up the front edge of the paper. So, to be clear, when I tried to align the paper to the right side of the printer, I had skew problems. Once I realized I should use the front lip of the FA tray to align the front edge of the paper, I have had no problems.

Hi folks,

I have been trying everything to get a sheet of 13x19 Canson Rag Photographique to load into the p800.. without getting a "paper skewed" alert..

-Front loading, can't square it up
-Rear..same result
-Using a 'slider'sheet in the back to ease it through the loading process...skewed

This is a seriously flawed and maddening system.

I then tried the poster board, straight through and continue to get "skewed paper" warnings..

Im going nuts and thinking that there is something wrong with this printer..besides the very obvious design flaws..

Help..

thanks
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: brieisenberg on February 01, 2018, 12:33:45 pm
I've had similar issues.  Try loading it through the back paper feeder and pushing it through gently.  I've not had any issues this way.  This printer is quirky.  Only reason I put up with it is because of its output.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: pearlstreet on February 01, 2018, 12:57:03 pm
If I had it to do over, I would not have bought this printer. The paper feed on thick paper is ridiculous. Major design flaw.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: bns on February 01, 2018, 02:50:34 pm
Check this one http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118877.msg988065#msg988065

cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: BobShaw on February 01, 2018, 04:12:20 pm
Have you read the User guide? P42 covers the 0.5mm thick paper.
I don't have the P800, I still have a 3880. The P800 does not seem to have the same capabilities as the 3880 thickness wise and feeds completely differently for 0.5mm in that it feeds from the front to the rear guide.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Pete JF on February 01, 2018, 06:41:05 pm
I'm not really having issues with getting the sheets to feed..I've gone round with that and understand all the workarounds..backfeeding, using an extra sheet to act as a guide in some cases..i understand the alignment process before hitting the feed button..

the paper is feeding..but it's also skewing every single time..i turned off the 'skew check' option and i can print..but the borders are crooked..because the skew sensor was, in fact, correct..

Things are being drawn out of alignment as the printer pulls the paper in..every time..and I am very careful to align my paper with the reference line/ridge on the front of the tray..still skews when drawn in..

Someone mentioned cleaning the rollers?...in my last post I was hoping for some info cleaning the rollers etc.

I've owned quite a few Epson printers and have never seen one with such a glaring set of flaws in the feed mechanism.

Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Farmer on February 01, 2018, 07:36:59 pm
Does it misfeed other media (lower GSM) of the same size?
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: BobShaw on February 01, 2018, 07:42:04 pm
It could just be a faulty unit.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Farmer on February 01, 2018, 11:33:05 pm
Exactly - what's what I'm curious about other media.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: hokuahi on February 02, 2018, 09:13:37 am
Exactly - what's what I'm curious about other media.

I'm unable to feed Canson Infinity Plantine 8.5 x 11 paper through the FFA feeder. The printer won't grab the paper and I end up getting a paper jam error message.

I finally called Epson and was told that's caused by the "media surface", as I'm able to feed Epson Premium Luster paper through the FFA feeder without any problem.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing how valid this statement is, although I'm a little doubtful of it to say the least.

He also said I could use the sheet feeder for this size instead and it "probably" won't cause any problems.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on February 02, 2018, 11:23:06 am
I'm unable to feed Canson Infinity Plantine 8.5 x 11 paper through the FFA feeder. The printer won't grab the paper and I end up getting a paper jam error message.

I finally called Epson and was told that's caused by the "media surface", as I'm able to feed Epson Premium Luster paper through the FFA feeder without any problem.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing how valid this statement is, although I'm a little doubtful of it to say the least.
Don't Epson have a "Plantine" surface paper equivalent?  This statement by the Epson representative sounds pretty dubious to me. 
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: rdonson on February 02, 2018, 12:03:23 pm
Epson Legacy Baryta
- 314 gsm
- 12 mil

Epson Legacy Platine
- 314 gsm
- 17 mil

Epson Legacy Fibre
- 314 gsm
- 19 mil

Epson Legacy Etching
- 314 gsm
- 20 mil
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: hokuahi on February 02, 2018, 12:50:40 pm
Don't Epson have a "Plantine" surface paper equivalent?  This statement by the Epson representative sounds pretty dubious to me.

Of course, they do. I don't know if those settings apply only when using Printer Manages Color, or as individual icc profiles. But because I'm printing either through ImagePrint using their profile, or my own custom profile for the Canson paper and my P800, and the fact that I coulda/shoulda mentioned that during the call, I guess he felt that wasn't relevant.

The IP profile uses Velvet Fine Art for the media setting and my profile (which I use printing through Lightroom), uses Epson Premium Luster. I have tried different platen gap settings with Lightroom, and IP doesn't have that option for paper thickness. There is a Media Feed setting but I was told by IP support it is for banding issues. I did try changing it anyway, to no avail.

Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: deanwork on February 02, 2018, 02:28:51 pm
Is everyone having this problem? That sounds horrible and more trouble than its worth.  I was thinking about buying one for teaching purposes. If it's a pain to use with thicker rag paper I'd rather buy a used 3880 on eBay. That series was the best they ever made. How could they mess that up?


It could just be a faulty unit.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: loganross on February 04, 2018, 12:16:57 pm
Is everyone having this problem? That sounds horrible and more trouble than its worth.  I was thinking about buying one for teaching purposes. If it's a pain to use with thicker rag paper I'd rather buy a used 3880 on eBay. That series was the best they ever made. How could they mess that up?

I have absolutely no issues with my p800 and paper.  it is light years ahead of my previous epsons. I do now also have a canon pro 1000  that I bought mainly for the chroma optimizer for glossy prints, and it is exceptional.  However, at less that $600 manufacturer refurbished (which you can get through Atlex or IT Supplies), the p800 is a steal.  On top of that, it has the option of the roll feeder, which I use extensively.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: hokuahi on February 04, 2018, 12:50:55 pm
Is everyone having this problem? That sounds horrible and more trouble than its worth.  I was thinking about buying one for teaching purposes. If it's a pain to use with thicker rag paper I'd rather buy a used 3880 on eBay. That series was the best they ever made. How could they mess that up?

I think this (at least for me) is an isolated incident and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as other than this particular issue the printer has performed flawlessly and exceeded my expectation.
Title: Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
Post by: deanwork on February 04, 2018, 01:48:04 pm
Can anyone comment on the black and white ( neutralized bw) with the p800 compared to the 3880?

Both with QTR, which is what I would use, as well as ABW.

John






I think this (at least for me) is an isolated incident and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as other than this particular issue the printer has performed flawlessly and exceeded my expectation.