Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Colorado_CJ on January 27, 2018, 04:55:14 pm
-
I'm starting to shoot Wet Plate with my 4x5. This is a very old (1850) process where you pour collodion onto an aluminum or glass plate, sensitize it, shoot it and develop it all within 5 minutes or so. The plate has to stay wet through the whole process or an image won't form.
Today I went into the canyon to shoot my third plate. I had to make a darkroom out of a cardboard box and a tarp since you have to do the whole process in a matter of minutes.
I still have a lot to learn, but it is fun. It is pretty neat to use a process that was developed at the beginning of photography.
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/39034912475_c708210df1_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/22to8wk)Wet Plate #3 (https://flic.kr/p/22to8wk) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
-
Nearby gentleman blacked out the cargo area of an hatchback station wagon for his processing. He shoots, climbs in with his plate and finishes in usually 3-5 minutes. He's tall too, so amazing to watch how limber he is at work! Love that you're using your seeing eye with this process. They suit each other beautifully.
-
I love both the tonality and artifacts of this process. 8)
-Dave-
-
+1 The light striking the upper right rock wall is wonderful and produces exquisite tones.
-
There must be an insta app for this:)
Love the textures.
-
Very impressive!
I thought wet-plate photographers traditionally had a covered wagon pulled by horses for their darkroom. You might check to see if one is available on Craig's List. ;)
I hope you will share more of these with us.
-Eric
-
If it is not feasible to attend one of Christopher James' workshops at his home in NH, you might want to seriously consider buying his second edition book on alternative processes in which he has a whole section devoted to various wet plate techniques. I took two of his Alt Pro workshops in Santa Fe and learned more in those two weeks than with any other workshop. He's a good and intensive instructor.
christopher james (http://www.christopherjames-studio.com)
-
Nice! Worth all of the trouble .
-
Nice work! A friend of mine does these too. He made a darkroom in the back of his truck. Neat process and there is something very interesting about the artifacts and general look. Fun stuff! (also terrible caustic chemicals! :o)