Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: shadowblade on January 25, 2018, 06:17:18 am

Title: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: shadowblade on January 25, 2018, 06:17:18 am
I'm about to make a few 12x18" black-and-white prints for framing under glass, but the client had left it to me as to what surface to print on.

Obviously, much is hidden by the glass, but lustre/gloss surfaces still have greater Dmax, but suffer more from reflections.

So, for these two photos, to be displayed under glass, what sort of paper would you choose?
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 25, 2018, 08:50:07 am
I'm partial to lustre papers anyway, from many years in the wet darkroom. But those two photos both have shiny, "wet"-like surfaces that look to me as if they need a glossy surface.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: shadowblade on January 25, 2018, 08:55:44 am
I'm partial to lustre papers anyway, from many years in the wet darkroom. But those two photos both have shiny, "wet"-like surfaces that look to me as if they need a glossy surface.

I was thinking a baryta paper of some sort.

Only thing is, this is going to be under glass, so reflections may pose a problem.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: JeanMichel on January 25, 2018, 09:40:33 am
I use Canson Baryta. But more importantly, I also try to use Artglass when framing that adds quite a lot to the cost of framing but the result is worth it as it greatly reduces reflections and lets the viewer see all the details in the print.
Jean-Michel
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: Herbc on January 25, 2018, 09:56:50 am
Another vote for Canson Baryata-dmax is very good 8)
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 25, 2018, 09:59:20 am
It's not so obvious that much is hidden by the glass. It depends on what kind of glass is being used. If using low-reflectance glass, then yes, detail is a bit compromised. If you are using Museum Glass, no detail is compromised and reflection is minimal, but it's expensive stuff. I'd vote with Eric on the artistic desirability of luster paper for these kind of photos. If your client is not fussed about whether the paper is matte or gloss, that client obviously isn't too concerned about their reflectance properties, in which case Luster under Museum Glass would be the best you can do to maximize image quality and minimize glare. The manner in which the lighting will be directed also makes a huge difference to glare.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: JeanMichel on January 25, 2018, 11:03:21 am
Arglass (from Grosglass) is very much like Museum glass, but is probably easier to damage since it is coated glass (winded is not recomended for cleaning). An advantage is that it does not have the greenish tinge of some Museum glass. It is UV resistant. And it is very clear. Cost is about half of Museum glass.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 25, 2018, 11:10:10 am
Branded Museum Glass does not have a green tinge. https://tru-vue.com/solution/museum-glass/
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: JeanMichel on January 25, 2018, 11:56:05 am
Hi again,
Yes, the True-Vue and Grosglass are basically the same products. I was referring to a 'museum' quality glass, which I believe is not coated; samples of that which I saw some years ago were fairly thick and did have a tinge, but i may remember incorrectly.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: Ferp on January 25, 2018, 05:07:02 pm
I get asked this question a lot - matte or lustre - and not just for black and white, color as well.  On one or two occasions I have run a little test.  I have printed an image on both papers, matched as closely as possible given their inherent differences,  If you show people the naked print, people will often choose the lustre.  Not always, but often.  When asked why, they say because of the greater dmax, although that's not how they phrase it. 

Then I put both prints behind glass and their view changes.  They prefer matte, because they can see the shadow detail more clearly.  For this reason I nearly always print black and white on matte if it's going to be framed behind glass.  Textured matte can suit some images, but I find that the effect gets lost behind glass.

The glass I'm referring to is not museum glass.  Neither I not my clients are prepared to pay for it.  It's possible that the above findings may change under museum glass.  My hunch is that the need for it is somewhat less if you print on matte, but it's only a hunch.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: JeanMichel on January 25, 2018, 05:29:48 pm
The day you use either the True-Vue or Artless gazing is the day that ruins using regular glass! As just about everyone else, I always framed my images with regular glass, until  I tried to glaze with Artglass. A frame using that glass loses one of its functions, that of being a mirror :-) If you sell framed prints, having an image framed with regular and with 'museum' glass side by side will help a potential client decide if they are wiling to pay the extra cost for the better glass.
Title: Re: Black and white prints - matte vs lustre
Post by: shadowblade on January 25, 2018, 06:45:00 pm
I know what glass I'd use, but I'm not arranging the framing or glass - just providing the print.