Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: KenwardV on January 25, 2018, 03:41:47 am

Title: Working under Linux with Canon or Epson printers
Post by: KenwardV on January 25, 2018, 03:41:47 am
Hello,

I'm looking to grab either the imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 or the P-800 printer as part of my foray into getting the most from my camera on paper. 

Of course I have issues--I use Linux (for many reasons beyond this).  Canon is adamant, and Epson not far behind, in giving no support for this directly, so I wondered whether anyone had used their software either under Wine or something like a VirtualBox implementation of Windows. 

Another alternative appears to be TurboPrint.  Does anyone perhaps have experience with that system?

Certainly my point is an excellent print system for the images I want to display, so it's important to be able to use the abilities of either printer. 

Thanks for any thoughts!
Title: Re: Working under Linux with Canon or Epson printers
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 25, 2018, 04:43:21 am
Go Windows + Qimage Ultimate in whatever way you can afford it, resp extra box, dual boot. Whether Wine will be satisfying I can not tell but I have my doubts.  There is a Caldera RIP running on Linux but I doubt that is affordable and may not have drivers for desktop models either.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Working under Linux with Canon or Epson printers
Post by: howardm on January 25, 2018, 07:51:38 am
I've heard good things about TurboPrint (can get a bit pricey for wide carriage printers).
They have a trial I believe.

Otherwise, I'd agree w/ Ernst regarding Qimage/Windows.
Title: Re: Working under Linux with Canon or Epson printers
Post by: KenwardV on January 25, 2018, 11:00:07 am
Thanks for the input.  It sounds like a VirtualBox implementation is the way to go, then. 
Title: Re: Working under Linux with Canon or Epson printers
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 25, 2018, 11:59:38 am
Thanks for the input.  It sounds like a VirtualBox implementation is the way to go, then.

Sorry if my message was confusing, with "box" I had a hardware PC in mind. Nothing virtual.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Working under Linux with Canon or Epson printers
Post by: KenwardV on January 25, 2018, 12:13:40 pm
Not a problem.  I understood what you were saying. 

I should be able to run the print process out of VirtualBox using shared folders and (if necessary) the Windoze version of the Gimp.