Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: JudyKonopka on January 21, 2018, 11:08:21 am

Title: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: JudyKonopka on January 21, 2018, 11:08:21 am
When loading, unloading, adding the 3" tube spacer thing....any tips on how to keep the paper wound (other than an elastic band?)
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 21, 2018, 11:11:55 am
What's wrong with an elastic band?  I use 'em all the time for this task.
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: henrikolsen on January 21, 2018, 11:33:00 am
http://yellotools.us/speedclip-single.html
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: JudyKonopka on January 21, 2018, 11:44:23 am
http://yellotools.us/speedclip-single.html

Oooooh, those are NICE! I'm getting them!  Thanks!!
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: henrikolsen on January 21, 2018, 12:34:10 pm
Check if they also supply some small velvet like patches to put on the ends (self adhesive). Even though they are smooth, they are still rather hard, and some very sensitive media take very little effort to mark.
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: mbaginy on January 21, 2018, 01:06:34 pm
http://yellotools.us/speedclip-single.html
Great!  First time I've seen these clips.  I just ordered a few.

Thanks for posting!
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 21, 2018, 02:25:03 pm
http://yellotools.us/speedclip-single.html

Looks like a neat product, but using a strip of two-sided Velcro also works very well.
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: Garnick on January 21, 2018, 02:35:12 pm
I save roll ends that are too short to be used, and make a 'belt' about 5" wide.  Then a piece of masking tape on one end of the 'belt' and a handle on the left over sticky end of the tape.  Wrap that around the roll and stick it in place, not too tight of course.  It's cheap and it has worked for me for many years.  If the tape loses its stickiness over a period of time, install a new piece.  Never had any problems with them.  I also like Mark's idea with the Velcro, sounds interesting.

Gary     
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: na goodman on January 21, 2018, 07:44:13 pm
I've used these or similar for years. Never a problem.  https://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=4191&rH=1648
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 21, 2018, 10:11:59 pm
I use the small strip from a nozzle check on my 36" and 44" rolls.  easy to tuck under the top into the roll about 1/2 way so it doesn't slip as you roll it up tight, then a small piece of tape.
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 22, 2018, 06:25:47 am
Offset paper sheet of 50x102cm 160 gsm around a 44" roll and taped at 3 spots, center and the ends. Abbreviation of the paper type written with a felt pen on the center tape. I cut the tapes with a small knife when I need the roll. Reuse the sheet when the job is finished. This way I am sure the feeding edge remains straight and does not interfere with the head, including the Museum Etching 350 gsm. 6 spindles here so I do not need to change that often. Spindles or tubes carry 10 paper qualities/roll widths horizontally in a converted office cabinet.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: William Chitham on January 24, 2018, 04:31:09 am
Offcut/test print/reject print wrapped round and secured with velcro off cuts bought cheap from nearby haberdashery. Those clips look nice but I definitely wouldn't want to slide one over a roll without wrapping paper round first.

William.
Title: Re: Tips for keeping rolls from unrolling?
Post by: Joe Towner on May 20, 2018, 06:36:52 pm
Bump because I'm ordering a TwisterPacket to clean up my media mess...

(http://www.yellotools.us/images/products/8565.jpg)