Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Cornfield on January 17, 2018, 02:26:09 pm

Title: Maloja Pass
Post by: Cornfield on January 17, 2018, 02:26:09 pm
A lot of effort required last night to get this shot of the Maloja Pass in Switzerland. Had to wade through powder snow about three feet deep between the pine trees and then get the tripod sable enough for a thirty-second exposure.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Alskoj on January 17, 2018, 07:03:52 pm
Nice!  Do you have other similar images?
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: petermfiore on January 17, 2018, 08:16:44 pm
beautiful image...I like this very much.

Peter
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2018, 12:00:53 am
Nice one.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 18, 2018, 05:14:24 am
Really good.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: francois on January 18, 2018, 05:17:08 am
Well worth the cold and wet feet!
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 18, 2018, 08:05:22 am
Excellent capture, of course. However, that HDR brown sky is oddly out of place, tonaly and color-temperature wise, in this picture.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Cornfield on January 18, 2018, 12:03:52 pm
Thanks for the replies. 

I have a number of good images from this trip so far but most will be processed when I'm back home next week.

This is Maloja Pass is a single exposure except for a couple of the light trails added to one of the bends.

No HDR for the sky.  I used a grad ND and the sky is rendered accurately for colour but I may change this to a cooler tone.

I was planning to spend a week in the Engadine valley I had one good day with the usual great light but snow started falling yesterday and is forecast for the next few days.  There is now about seven feet of snow on the valley floor and a lot more at the summits around 3,000 Mts.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: sierraman on January 18, 2018, 01:07:07 pm
Very "cool". I agree with Slobodan that the sky might be a distraction. Just crop it into a 2:3 horizontal and take out that small patch of on the bottom L side of the image. Again, very nice.  :)
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: petermfiore on January 18, 2018, 03:31:47 pm
I don't know if you have changed the color in this image, but the current image  harmonizes well with the tone of the roadway. Still like this image very much...

Peter
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 25, 2018, 09:01:46 am
Love it (minus the sky).
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: RSL on January 25, 2018, 09:54:32 am
A fine shot. Love the headlight/taillight transitions on the switchbacks. And yeah, the sky could stand to be cooler.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: PeterAit on January 25, 2018, 04:41:20 pm
A lot of effort required last night to get this shot of the Maloja Pass in Switzerland. Had to wade through powder snow about three feet deep between the pine trees and then get the tripod sable enough for a thirty-second exposure.

Quite amazing! Bravo!
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 25, 2018, 06:10:37 pm
Love it (minus the sky).
Me too.
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: francois on January 26, 2018, 03:16:28 am
I agree for the sky but my eyes keep following the light trails on the switchbacks…
Title: Re: Maloja Pass
Post by: MattBurt on February 05, 2018, 05:37:59 pm
That's a fantastic shot! I'd definitely hike through some deep snow for that one. Nice job!