Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on January 02, 2018, 04:09:51 pm

Title: It's the Graphics
Post by: RSL on January 02, 2018, 04:09:51 pm
I've been going through stuff, putting together a new collection of B&Ws, originally shot in color, which I'll title: "For the wind passeth over it." Ran into this example of graphic simplicity.
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: luxborealis on January 02, 2018, 04:28:54 pm
Beautiful tones, Russ. Large format?
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: Rob C on January 02, 2018, 04:37:12 pm
You should make this your thematic specialty.

Yes, I know, these things are almost impossible to find anymore...

Nonetheless, that was a stroke of genius both in framing and printing. Love it.

Rob
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: 32BT on January 02, 2018, 06:00:06 pm
Hi Russ,

Let me wish you a year filled with wabi sabi, which i want to ensure you isn't meant to say anything about your state of health as is more commonly the case with new years wishes.

But it has everything to do with my personal state of mental health because these are soooooo much more interesting to look at than another attempt at a local stub, egret, heron, or some form of hanging fungi, some of which for pete's sake, also need to be turned into, of all things(???), a cropping exercise...
 
>:(

Of course, to each their own.

 :P ;)

Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 02, 2018, 06:08:46 pm
The light is superb in that one Russ. Show us some more.
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: petermfiore on January 02, 2018, 08:10:02 pm
You should make this your thematic specialty.

Yes, I know, these things are almost impossible to find anymore...

Nonetheless, that was a stroke of genius both in framing and printing. Love it.

Rob

Me too! In the best of ways...

Peter
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: John R on January 03, 2018, 01:17:57 am
Russ, as already stated, I do like the the stark simplicity. It's a scene I would surely walk by without lifting the camera.

JR
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: GrahamBy on January 03, 2018, 07:17:26 am
Superb :-)
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 03, 2018, 07:54:20 am
Superb :-)

+1
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: RSL on January 03, 2018, 10:48:45 am
Thanks all.

No, Terry. It was my D3. I haven't shot large format since the early seventies when I still had a darkroom. I made this shot in Colorado in 2008 on our way down to Florida on back roads.

And Rob, There was a time when this was my thematic specialty. In the late sixties and early seventies I was shooting the last of the stuff I put into "Voices on the Prairie" (http://www.russ-lewis.com/Voices/intro.html) as it disappeared before my eyes. In 2006 I spent a couple three and four-day outings cruising southern Colorado, northern New Mexico, west Texas, and western Kansas, shooting just this kind of thing. And yes, nowadays it's almost impossible to find this kind of thing, especially in Florida.

My two loves are street and wabi sabi, not necessarily in that order. On balance I couldn't care less about landscape photography because that can be done much better in paint. But photography's apparent veracity (and yes, you guys over in The Coffee Corner can have fun arguing whether or not the veracity is real) gives it an edge over painting for human interactions and structures.
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: BobDavid on January 03, 2018, 12:09:13 pm
+1
Title: Re: It's the Graphics
Post by: RSL on January 03, 2018, 12:21:59 pm
Here are two more from the collection I'm gradually building from my Lightroom catalogs.